It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 72
<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Gryphon66

It's hard to get a Christian to admit that he believes Christianity because he was born into a Christian family.

Actually, I can understand the essence if not the form of such cognitive dissonance.

For example, I do my best to base my reality on, well, reality ... observable, understandable, measurable reality.

When I encounter those who deny rationality and evidence, I am often dumbounded.

I think the reaction for a "true believer" is similar ... when forced to confront the irrationality of their beliefs in relationship to observable provable fact.

I've lost my much of patience and understanding for such, however. LOL.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: JohnFisher

Thanks for allowing me my personal autonomy!

But, just out of curiosity, do you care to address my question?

Let me try something different. As far as the volume of "written attestations" you will find that the written record in Egypt, for example, far outstrips both in age and number any of the scraps of parchment you're claiming as proof of your religious beliefs.

These Egyptian documents discuss a whole range of divine beings, their actions, their family structure, et. al. Tell me, what makes your stories better?
I addressed the only question you presented. And perhaps I should amend my former statement by saying there are more NT manuscripts than most anything significant of antiquity.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I mean I get it. The problem I see is that religion starts with the premise that it CAN'T be wrong. Thus the believers never consider that as an option. More science minded folk that start with the premise that they can be wrong are more open to changing their beliefs.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

It's ok bud, I was born into a Christian family too (Catholic) and thought Christianity was real despite being a very science minded person for a good portion of my life. Luckily, I was able to start questioning the Christian account and just stopped believing. It takes awhile to break away, but that is the way mental programming works. Only once you are free do you recognize the brainwashing for what it is.
edit on 30-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I mean I get it. The problem I see is that religion starts with the premise that it CAN'T be wrong. Thus the believers never consider that as an option. More science minded folk that start with the premise that they can be wrong are more open to changing their beliefs.

Oh, I know you "get it" Krazysh0t ... I was merely reminding myself of what JohnF must be facing, more or less.

Reality based on observation versus reality based on belief; that is the REAL question.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnFisher

originally posted by: TrappedPrincess

originally posted by: JohnFisher

originally posted by: Gryphon66

I know Jesus too. He's a great guy and does wonders for my lawn. (That's probably racist, except my lawn guy really is named Jesus.)

Let's assume for a moment that you are correct in stating (you aren't, btw) that there are "more manuscripts of that New Testament than anything else significant of antiquity."

Your manuscripts describe the actions of a deity. Homer's Iliad and Odyssey do the same thing.

Both stories describe events we know are impossible, well, that is, many of us understand that.

Tell me, why should I believe your stories and not Homer's?

Belive whomever you want to believe. It is your choice, and no one can decide but you. I believe the scriptures, and Jesus has never let me down though I let Him down often.

Exactly so you and yours leave me and mine free to frolic and be gay and we will leave you and yours to teach your offspring to treat us like crap. Just know when they do we will fight back.
I haven't treated you or any gay man like crap, nor have I treated anyone in the gay community any different than anyone else. I'm sorry if I've made you feel under attack in this thread. Forgive me.

Yet you do treat me like crap when you call me a MAN and I have expressly stated I am a Trans woman and wish to be referred to with female pronouns yet you mock me and intentionally say the hurtful things that you do.

Then you hide behind the so called and self proclaimed piety of your religion to excuse your behavior as "simply telling the truth" as opposed to being a RICHARD, which you are in fact doing. I'm waiting on the science to back up your claims, until then my opinion on religion is meh...

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

But John, you DIDN'T address my question you just defaulted to "you believe what you want and so will I."

That is a solution, but not an answer.

My question was, why is one set of stories better than another?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TrappedPrincess

This is how we know the homosexualists will never stop at faux marriage.

Our faith (not to mention biology, natural law, reason, order, etc.) tells us that you are a man.

Yet you would use the power of the government to compel us to participate in your fantasy and call you a 'woman.'

And because we do not agree with your fantasy, we are 'hateful bigots.'

It would be hysterical were it not so tragic and consequential.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Yes, such is the eternal debate... Well at least reality based on observation doesn't result in you being imprisoned, tortured, or killed anymore (at least not in the 1st world). So progress IS being made.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

Transgenderism and homosexuality aren't the same thing. it would help you understand the issues MUCH more if you'd attempt to understand this.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   

It's ok bud, I was born into a Christian family too (Catholic) and thought Christianity was real despite being a very science minded person for a good portion of my life. Luckily, I was able to start questioning the Christian account and just stopped believing. It takes awhile to break away, but that is the way mental programming works. Only once you are free do you recognize the brainwashing for what it is.
OK, I'll throw one final thing in here to you. I had minimal Christian influences as I was growing up. My Christian faith only came into being a few years ago. I think you have false assumptions about my history because if you knew, then you wouldn't think the same way about it. Sure, it might not change your mind, but you would at least appreciate my history. Jesus called out to me, and I came to Him despite the world I've always known. He saved me from the world. The storms I weathered; the hardships I endured... The things I believed... The life I lived... Man, you just don't know. You just don't get it. I'm aware that much of what I believe doesn't fit with much logic, but it's the incomprehensible that brought me to peace. The illogical things fixed me when the logical could not. Sure, I have plenty more room to grow and more healing to receive, but in my life nothing has been more clear to me. Jesus is who He claims to be, and I believe it. I saw what He did for many people around me. I've seen His miracles at work in people; real people. Say what you will. Scoff as you will. I'm sorry that you're sick in the realm of logic, entrusting in the fallible human mind. My heart breaks for you, though I know you'll perceive that as self-righteous. Hearts have broken for me; it's not self-righteous. I still slip and stumble. Anyway, this discussion has really turned and it's no longer relevant to the thread in any way. I'm out. Take care. It was pretty fun going back and they with you.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

In the realm of logic? dude really?.
Belief in a God is not logical I know I believe in God but not someone elses version I feel God I don't need to join a man made club to know God.
Not logical I know but come now lets not pretend it is logical.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Ah! I get it, the second most popular way people become Christians. Attributing getting out of a low point in their life to "God saving their life". This one is even more fallacious than the one being raised as a Christian. Because at least as a kid being exposed to it, you can't help yourself. When you attribute the natural ups and downs of life to god helping you out, you are stealing credit away from the actual sources that helped you.

Christianity: Attributing blind luck and results with low odds to god and divine influence.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

First Sexuality and Gender are different, you complaining about being called a Bigot is no different than you purposely calling Her a "He" which is not even True, no matter what your religion says She is a She.

Second: We wont stop at Marriages, we have many more steps to go, next i hope is Federal Protections for all GLBTQ+, hopefully we can get the Employment Non-Discrimination Act passed, and also adoptions, property, blood donations housing etc..

we will continue on

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Arrg! OK, It's true, because of gay marriage, "Christianity is under assault". They are already planning a post Christian America.

Your children are picking up and spreading gay cooties at school from the unvaccinated children and bringing them home. Haven't you noticed that more and more people are supporting the gay agenda.

It's just a matter of time before being a Christian will be illegal and you will be hunted down. It will be justified something along the lines of a delusional disorder.

They are already watching you, following you, reading your mail and listening to you. Your TV, radio, microwave, Wi-Fi and smart meters are their gateways. Anything with a computer chip is a potential spy.

Have they already selected you and marked your mail box with a colored dot?

Do you have a chipped pet? Do you know what was put in your pet? Are they listening via your pet?

Be sure you wear your foil hat so they won't know what you are thinking.

You need to stock up on guns, ammo, food, water and barricade yourselves in your church. Be sure to defend yourselves when the Guberment comes for you to take you and your families to a FEMA camp for reeducation or disposal.

After you're gone your churches will be appropriated by the NAAG (National Association for the Advancement of Gays) as one of many new party chapter meeting places to further the plan to take over the world. Narf!

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog
This is how we know the homosexualists will never stop at faux marriage.

WTF is a "homosexualist"??? LOL!

Yet you would use the power of the government to compel us to participate in your fantasy and call you a 'woman.'

It's not illegal to do what you're doing... Just disrespectful and mean. No one is compelling you to be respectful and polite. Least of all, the government. Dare I say, that would be a fruitless endeavor.

And because we do not agree with your fantasy, we are 'hateful bigots.'

If the shoe fits... By the way, I don't agree with your "fantasy", either, so you can relax. Not everyone agrees. Just some of us are polite and others take the road you travel.

It would be hysterical were it not so tragic and consequential.

There's nothing tragic OR consequential about it
edit on 6/30/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

I bet some will star that thinking you actually mean that lol.

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I starred it because I laughed all the way through!

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

What restrictions are there with blood donations?

posted on Jun, 30 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

www.hrc.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 69  70  71    73  74  75 >>

join