It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK bans teaching of creationism in any school that receives public funding

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Sorry but that is a gross misinterpretation of our Constitution...

To say if you don't have a god you are not American...

Very sad statement indeed

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I am glad to hear this.

It has been a major issue that although my son's shcool is very good it is also CoE and they feel compelled to make him sing hymns and learn about God.

Luckily when he was seven he asked me privatley if it was Ok to just go along with it as he felt it was all just silly and I told him he could personally think whatever he liked.

I was a happy man that day.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hi there I am English so could you go into more detail regarding this please?

I'm not saying I do not belive you just that it sounds absurd and would like to see how this could be so.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369
I'm not sure that many UK schools would have been teaching creationism anyway.
Incidentally, the story in the link is twelve months old.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Why can't the theory of evolution be added to give kids multiple ideas to learn from and make up their own mind? You can't remove creationism and add the theory of evolution because it is more "scientific"...

evolution needs a start, if you don't have creationism you can't have evolution...But I know I am wrong in all of your eyes because I believe in God....So I will just stop because I will repeat myself another 30 times before doing the same thing later....

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This seems to be about public funding. So then, I completely agree. To be honest, I was unaware that creationism was even taught as a subject in British schools. Isn't it an American thing? I am sorry, but to paraphrase... "If god were so dishonest as to go around hiding fossils just to fool us then...".

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

Because that would be a waste of time...we wish to teach them facts and actual science not made up fantasies.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein

Why can't the theory of evolution be added to give kids multiple ideas to learn from and make up their own mind? You can't remove creationism and add the theory of evolution because it is more "scientific"...

evolution needs a start, if you don't have creationism you can't have evolution...But I know I am wrong in all of your eyes because I believe in God....So I will just stop because I will repeat myself another 30 times before doing the same thing later....

I think that creationism should not be taught in schools because there is absolutley no evidence whatsoever to support it.

It really is that simple and something that I am always astounded to have to say to people.

The fact that my seven year old son figured this out independantly should be something to support this argument.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Because that would be a waste of time...we wish to teach them facts and actual science not made up fantasies.

Apart from santa clause of course, that should be kept in primary schools...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

No you do not have to have a start, and creationism doesn't have to be that start.

There is a gap in the knowledge, forcefully filling that gap with religion does not do a service to anyone.

Kids don't need to learning about something that just make sense. Next we will have to teach them that the earth is flat so they can make up thier own mind on that too.

Your faith does not make you wrong, you not ing a grasp on what the theory is doea.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Hey and nativity plays also or ones like Babushka, we did them in primary school and It gave a lot of kids their first taste of drama and such.
Just not in science classes.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

originally posted by: Blazemore2000

I wish the U.S. would follow suit. Unfortunately, there are too many religious fanatics in politics for it to have much of a chance.

Such a law would be unconstitutional in many states.

The very concept of American freedom requires belief in a God. It doesn't matter what you call it, or what you think it looks like, but if you don't have a god, flying spaghetti monster, whatever, you are not a true American. Sorry for your luck.

The new America will be a very very sad place.

While I wouldn't expect the US to follow suit anytime soon, it certainly isn't for any of the reasons you stated.

Your entire post is delusional B.S.. There are plenty of people in this country who don't believe in God or flying spaghetti monsters and they're every bit as American as yourself. Maybe even more so!

Furthermore, American freedom has nothing to do with your mythical belief in a supernatural creator.

If anything, it's people like yourself who use their religious beliefs to limit the freedom of other Americans.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Thank God (hehehe)!!

I wouldn't go to a Dr who had a 2000 year old medical book and ask for help, so why listen to a 2000 year old storybook on how to avoid going to a place created for torment by a loving and forgiving being (?!?!?)?
Religion was created as a necessity to make people follow rules and act in a way that would benefit the rulers of the time. If Jesus was real, I am sure he would shake his head at how people have perverted his teachings. Philosophy should not be a religion.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

You sir do not understand America. You have clearly not read the founders, the D of I or any of the related documents.

When this country dies this will be why, and you will continue to deny it. It's on life support now.

Not really my concern. You'll figure it out one day, probably not in this life though. Well have a laugh about it on the other side.

I'll try to give you a hint. How can I vote away your rights when they are not under my authority. How can I take from you what is held in trust by a higher power of your own choosing? Starting to make a little sense? Good, now go read the Declaration of Independence, and you'll understand even better.
edit on 25-6-2015 by ISawItFirst because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
I'm not sure that many UK schools would have been teaching creationism anyway.
Incidentally, the story in the link is twelve months old.

And now there never will be many schools teaching creationism, surely we can agree that's a good thing?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

No you are right...No creationism right.....So here is evolution...

Nothing...

Nothing....

Poof, planets, sun, everything in perfect alignment somehow...

POOF, something forms from nothing on a rock called earth...

POOF, that nothing turned into a little something somehow...

That something evoled into an intelligent human being...

My lord, how retarded this sounds compared to creationism is just absolutely astounding when saying it out loud....

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

Sadly I bet there are many more in the States who think this.
Don't worry the new generations will catch up to us
in about 20 years I bet the amount of religious folk who do not accept evolution is very small.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChrisfishensteinYeah high quality teaching kids the THEORY of evolution is more "scientific" than creationism....

You could do with a little science education yourself if you don't understand the difference between the layman and scientific definitions of the word 'theory' nor see how evolution is actually grounded in a mountain of scientific evidence.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Finally there is a god. Now mankind(uk) and the new generation won't be burdened with stupidity and absence of rational thought. I believe this is a vital step in the progression of mankind both cognitively and scientifically.God bless britain

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Just all around wrong.

The fathers clearly founded this nation as a secular one.
No where does it say that you have believe in a god, if it does please show it.
Not in their personal writings, yes some were religious but when it came to founding the nation they were not.
So show in our documents what you claim.

Which I am sure I will get the reply that you can't be bothered.
Usually what someone says when they can't back their claim up and they know it

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join