It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK bans teaching of creationism in any school that receives public funding

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You know, if you drink a Coke, you can sing in perfect harmony.

Just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
This is great news! Finally, a big step towards the beginning of the end of religion
Star & flag, nice thread OP

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific wouldn't that be philosophy?

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The March for the Mark fo the Beast world government control continues.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jobeycool
The March for the Mark fo the Beast world government control continues.

ok alex jones, lets not get carried away there

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
This is old news. It was brought in last year after the massive rise in academies and 'free schools' since 2011.
They are not required to teach the national curriculum, but some religious ones took advantage and started teaching creation in science.
In 2011 with only 200 or so academies it wasn't such an issue, but by 2014 there were over 3000 of them so they needed to be reined in with new legislation, ALL religious schools, regardless of faith.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Just because there's not science that backs it up doesn't mean that the government should tell schools what they can and cannot teach at those levels, but I do feel that they should be able to say it's not a part of mandatory learning.

Save me the slippery slope argument, but when it comes to schools with public funding, yes I think they can.

And would both not be part of the mandatory learning or just creationism?

It's pointless to discuss how the UK runs its schools and how America does. I think you and I--judging by your slipper-slope comment, amongst other interactions in the past--have differing philosophies of how much intrusion the gov't should have. But I do agree with your point about public funding, that's why I'm a strong advocate of removing public federal funding from going directly to schools or school systems.

I get the feeling that you disagree with that.

Evolution is the best, scientifically backed theory of how all the species on earth came to be, so that should be taught in the mandatory curriculum. ANYTHING that is based solely on a religion should be offered as an elective/optional class only. If someone wants to learn creationism, go to Sunday School.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You forgot the part where He tells you to chop the skin of your penis off. Very important detail in the grand cosmological scheme of things!

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GetHyped

Yeah and heres me thinking he made us the way he wanted...
I thought he didn't make mistakes.
Oh and folks never get it done If you have not gotten it done...the sex was better beforehand.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: nonspecific wouldn't that be philosophy?

Most likely and certainly not what they would want tought in schools.

That's what decent parents are for.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: Prezbo369

Yeah follow suit....

“every young person is entitled to a high quality, broad and balanced education. This includes in biology, where evolution is a central topic and is vital to understanding how human life came to be

High quality? haha....Yeah high quality teaching kids the THEORY of evolution is more "scientific" than creationism....If you are basing it on "science", then don't teach anything about any form of how we all came to be, because there is none!

Science holds no weight to where or how we came to be.....I feel bad for the kids that really want the truth and are now going to be forced into hearing a "theory" that isn't real.....God is real, but if the school system doesn't want kids to learn about God, then they should abandon it all and let them form their own opinion on how we came to be instead of being force-fed a joke theory that is wrong...

Blast away! I believe in God....

laughable post. take a course in zoology, biodiversity, or evolution/ecology and try to make this claim with a straight face.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

Unfortunately, saying you're American and living as one doesn't make it so. Well take all comers though. Make up your own God and join the party. Hey make it you! No one cares, as long as you have skin in the game too!

I certainly do live as an American. If I were to go to any other country and asked them my nationality, they'd say I was an American. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm really curious what you think "living as an American" means though.

It doesn't matter. You have killed America already.

Have I? Well damn that sucks. I guess I'll go tell everyone I meet to leave the country since America is dead thanks to me then.

Oh hey, you've mentioned your state before. Read your state constitution, you might be VERY surprised. You're beliefs make you unfit to serve as a juror, one of the quintessential American activities.

Sorry brother.

Of course I've mentioned my state. It's in my avatar. Though I'm curious what part of the Maryland state Constitution requires me to have a belief in a god to serve as a juror? In fact, what part of ANY state Constitution requires you to believe in a god to serve as a juror? Please give me the state and quote me the relevant text. Don't tell me to go read it, you are making the claim so you have to produce the evidence. Hop to it son.

I'm excited to find out a new way to get out of jury duty. The last time I had to tell the judge I had an exam in one of my summer classes in college coming up that I had to study for.
edit on 25-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Seriously, it's your own belief. If you want to believe it is limiting, fine, but it is actually a very empowering belief if you're doing it right, whether you choose allah, yahweh, the sun, your dog, the flying spaghetti monster, whatever. You choose how to believe.

Don't get me wrong-there are some teachings in scripture that we can all agree on, but they are often negated by other teachings.

But when it comes to evolution-well there are skeletons and fossils to prove the existence of prehistoric life, and the evidence of Mother Mary comes from the Fatima visions or a face seen in a piece of toast, and you can't use the Fantima visions in a syllabus.

edit on 25-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

YAY! A win for intellectualism! Too bad that the US won't follow suit any time soon.

We need to let the flag fiasco settle first down.
Let the wounds heal.
Otherwise people might think it's a flat out war.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rupertg

Ya... You may be right. If we didn't do that, this country might see a hyperbole overload.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

You forgot the part where He tells you to chop the skin of your penis off. Very important detail in the grand cosmological scheme of things!

Well, you know...I was only talking about the creation stories...

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I disagree.
Philosophy and applied ethics (the class where religion was also discussed) was one of the best lessons for my son through secondary school. Critical thinking, asking questions about morals and mindsets, yep those lessons always inspired many good deep moral discussions between me and him.

They also discussed the conflicting faiths/beliefs/religions, including lack of faith in any of them.
He does not believe in any gods., but is open to change if a bearded man descended from the clouds...although would want a witness to know he wasn't going nuts.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Love how people just jump onto things as pure unadulterated truth.

You would have been one of the people killing those that claimed the earth wasn't flat.

The "truth" changes from generation to generation. I doubt we will know the real truth of our origins or the working of the universe until hundreds of generations from now if we are still here at all.

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

yr not alone in yr beliefs matre .. just vastly outnumbered in this day unfortunately ...
thanks for speaing up .. cos frankly i just couldnt be bothered... its extremely unlikely my words would have any effect on anyone in here .. other than give the OP the fuel for the debate hes clearly hoping for ... needing people tgo agree with him etc .... pfft ..

am happy to respectfully let people believe what they want ... its just disheartening in this day and place, to see the vast majority not only choose the noncreation (and non god) route ... but that soo many love to slant and mock the people who choose to believe in God. Thats just not on with me. No time for that crap.

am outta this anti creation / anti-god thread ..... not feelin nice vibes in here, the way some folk have been replyin to you.

God Bless

posted on Jun, 25 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

DECLARATION OF RIGHTS.We, the People of the State of Maryland, grateful to Almighty God for our civil and religious liberty, and taking into our serious consideration the best means of establishing a good Constitution in this State for the sure foundation and more permanent security thereof, declare:

Art. 36. That as it is the duty of every man to worship God in such manner as he thinks most acceptable to Him, all persons are equally entitled to protection in their religious liberty; wherefore, no person ought by any law to be molested in his person or estate, on account of his religious persuasion, or profession, or for his religious practice, unless, under the color of religion, he shall disturb the good order, peace or safety of the State, or shall infringe the laws of morality, or injure others in their natural, civil or religious rights; nor ought any person to be compelled to frequent, or maintain, or contribute, unless on contract, to maintain, any place of worship, or any ministry; nor shall any person, otherwise competent, be deemed incompetent as a witness, or juror, on account of his religious belief; provided, he believes in the existence of God, and that under His dispensation such person will be held morally accountable for his acts, and be rewarded or punished therefor either in this world or in the world to come.

Now, you have the tools to deny your ignorance.

Straight from the md Constituion at maryland . Gov

Ball squarely in your court.
edit on 25-6-2015 by ISawItFirst because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join