It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thar be Whales Here !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
California. The state we all love to hate, especially those of us who own proprty and businesses here. Taxes suck, regulations suck, drought majorly sucks, as does the traffic on the 405 Santa Monica Freeway. Always.

Despite ALL of this "suckage" , every once in awhile something really super spirit lifting happens quite unexpectedly and YOU bear unintended witness to one of nature's most awesome creatures...whales.

This was taken by my sister last week at Avila Beach pier. Whales are migrating very close to shore this month. They are late arriving. The normal time is from late March - May.

I wonder if they know something we don't?

Avila Beach Whales

The above pic was not taken by my sister but is the same area as the first.

Majestic. Gentle. Stunning. Shame on me for not witnessing their migrations every year.

I am blessed to live in this part of California, even if I am now forced to take two minute showers. * sigh *

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
How wonderful

Back home in Sydney we would see the whale migration each year. There is a albino whale we see regularly that gets us all excited.

I hope you get a sighting!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Beautiful! Just make sure you are not swimming near one of these gentle giants when they do their little dance!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

I hear the tune to Jaws just stickin my toe in the ocean....never happen.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I am taking my sunscreen, beach chair, umbrella, War & Peace, camera and my binoculars....just like 2000 other whale watchers...but I SHALL see whales, dammit!!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I hear the tune to Jaws just stickin my toe in the ocean....never happen.

www.yahoo.com...

Speaking of Jaws...

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
The humpback in the second picture appears to be feeding. Probably the first as well.

If they're close inshore this year, that must mean the plankton is rich along the the shoreline. Possibly something to do with the California drought? Outflow from rivers and other watercourses not as high as in other years, so the phytoplankton doesn't spread so far out from the rivermouths, and the zooplankton gather closer inshore to consume it?

Just guessing.

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

STOOPPPP!!!!

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Yeah, I was just gonna type all that out right before you did...honest! Fist-Bump in your general direction!

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

That movie single handedly caused me to never go near the ocean or even lakes that I can not see what is around me. One year I was visiting my grandparents and an old man was teaching me to fish and I slipped off the flood wall and fell into the bay, I was so frantic and terrified 20 boats nearby came to my rescue. Never again, just seeing all the creepy things crawling on the wall freaked me out!

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: Astyanax

Yeah, I was just gonna type all that out right before you did...honest! Fist-Bump in your general direction!

You do well to avoid the sea-cats. name me one other creature that can hone in on you, and use it's nose to make you change your life?

Cats and Sharks. I'd rather be eaten by a great white than mass manipulated by a small tabby.. Oo
edit on 19-6-2015 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I body surfed Wiamea Bay and nearly drowned in an undertow. Never again. Didn't see any whales then either.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

Many other creatures can hone in and take your life.

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   

That has to be awesome to see up close! Beautiful creatures, and the whale songs are so eerily beautiful as well.

Awesome thread title, too! now I want to watch the movie!

posted on Jun, 19 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

They are so close, body surfers and boogie boarders have to be extremely careful. But the whales are a sight to see and viewing them should be on everyone's bucket list.

beannacht

posted on Jun, 20 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
To all of you expressing a fear of the open sea: you are missing one of life's greatest experiences.

Learn to swim, learn to know and love the sea. These are among the fundamentals of being human.

posted on Jun, 27 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I imagine that would make water sports interesting!! I always enjoyed seeing whales and dolphins at Sea World, great feel to those animals!

new topics

top topics

join