It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a TV Show Go Too Far?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I think Stannis believes he is a reincarnated hero (Azor Ahai) who is destined to defeat the White Walkers. He feels he must become king at any cost in order to save Westeros. In his mind he made a personal sacrifice to save the world. Now, he may be completely wrong, but this is what his motivation to become king is from what I remember of the books.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I think Stannis believes he is a reincarnated hero (Azor Ahai) who is destined to defeat the White Walkers. He feels he must become king at any cost in order to save Westeros. In his mind he made a personal sacrifice to save the world. Now, he may be completely wrong, but this is what his motivation to become king is from what I remember of the books.

Right
Messiah complex.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

My guess is than Jon Snow is actually the one in the prophecy. Maybe we find out this week.
edit on 2015/6/10 by Metallicus because: fix

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I love how people have been getting up in arms over a lot of eps this season. Going to far? I don't think so.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Entreri06

I honestly liked the show. But it has become too brutal even for my taste .

If it wasn't for Peter Dinklage I probably would not watch the show. That man is a amazing actor !!!

Yes, he's my favorite too!!

Even tho this scene was tough to imagine happening, we knew that it was coming
Just thought Stannis would have found another solution to gaining his 'power'

Having said that....I thought the 'Red Wedding' was brutal where they stabbed Rob Stark's pregnant wife in the belly several times
Now that was abrupt and we were caught off guard
Hell the whole scene caught us off guard!!

Where as we knew what the Red Priestess was hinting at for some time now, since his nephew with 'kings blood' had escaped ...that left only one other person

And yes, she was the most likeable character other than the imp
Sweet and innocent....hated hearing her screams

Haven't read the books so am curious what Ser Davos will do when he finds out what Stannis did
Although he already suspected something horrible would await the young girls fate, thanks to Melisandre

Power & greed makes those who hunger for it, do all sorts of nasty things they normally would not do otherwise IMO

------------------------

ETA: While at the same time, how many people were happy the Queen Mother was thrown into prison??
Karma, ain't it something. LOL

edit on 10-6-2015 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The show is ... civilized.. compared to the books.
Sorry for Spoilers or Gruesome Details, but there are some scenes in the books which were burned into my brain.
Like the one where the soldier hits the five year old boy in the face with a morning star (because he didn't stopped grieving over the killing of his father), having to kill the mother too. Yes, thank you, Martin.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Thank You! SaturnFX
A voice of reason.
The Bible puts George Martin in the Ha'penny place.

People moaning about it being 'Too brutal' and too inhumane are often the ones who love little representations of a bleeding almost naked man nearly beaten to death, dying in agony while nailed to two pieces of wood. Since childhood I was exposed to this image and conditioned to think it was somehow a symbol of love. Religious people talk about 'sacrifice' having no clue what it actually means.. Abraham was going to slaughter his son Isaac to the voices in his head and that's seen as a 'noble' act of a good man????

Think about it...
"For Stannis so loved the world that he gave his only daughter............"

GOT is the greatest television ever produced, a masterpiece, but nowhere on Earth is it compulsory to watch it.
Don't like it.......don't watch it!
Plenty of nice easy to watch soap operas out there.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
It was burn her at the stake or let his entire army(and Shireen) die from exposure and lack of supplies.

A king has to make hard choices. He made the right one.

Wow there are some messed up people on ATS...

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Something about TV shows and movies that has been really pissing me off in recent years is how these production companies like to try to have their show/movie targeted at as large of a audience as possible so they avoid R or 18 ratings to get all that pocket money of teenagers.

Its so annoying, seriously the last terminator rated 12 or something like that in the UK, sorry but the terminator should not be a 12, I want gore, bad language and sex in my sci-fi flicks.

The same goes for TV, were we have shows where some guys gets shot and says "oh darn that was mighty sore" when really he would be saying "YOU F******K C$*T JUST F£"£$$G SHOT ME IN THE DI3K" but ho no, if the production companies dont make a show that teens can also watch then they know they will lose a huge chunk of their profits.

The only two companies i have seen who make truly grate TV shows these days for a adult audience is Netflix and Cinimax.

Now I do not watch GOT but i know its a adult themed show, the killing of that kid while brutal, I am sure fits in with the plot (which i hear is amazing). I don't think it goes to far if its telling the story as it should be told, I think it would be far worse for creative minds behind these kind of shows to be restricted due to what is deemed to be acceptable by a TV audience that has been brainwashed into thinking Jersey shore and Glee is good TV.

Honestly I could rant all day about the state of TV these days.

Its so annoying, I do believe we are in a "golden age" of TV, but that its being destroyed slowly by crap shows aimed at teenage girls and not going far enough with more mature themes.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Considering Martin clued Benioff and Weiss in on the major plot points and they said, 'George told us about this', anyone who is pissed should be pissed at Martin since this is obviously taking place in The Winds of Winter.

And if you were pissed this week, wait until next week.

Poor Unsullied. Everyone must die. It is known.

edit on 10-6-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: Entreri06

I honestly liked the show. But it has become too brutal even for my taste .

If it wasn't for Peter Dinklage I probably would not watch the show. That man is a amazing actor !!!

Yes, he's my favorite too!!

Even tho this scene was tough to imagine happening, we knew that it was coming
Just thought Stannis would have found another solution to gaining his 'power'

Having said that....I thought the 'Red Wedding' was brutal where they stabbed Rob Stark's pregnant wife in the belly several times
Now that was abrupt and we were caught off guard
Hell the whole scene caught us off guard!!

Where as we knew what the Red Priestess was hinting at for some time now, since his nephew with 'kings blood' had escaped ...that left only one other person

And yes, she was the most likeable character other than the imp
Sweet and innocent....hated hearing her screams

Haven't read the books so am curious what Ser Davos will do when he finds out what Stannis did
Although he already suspected something horrible would await the young girls fate, thanks to Melisandre

Power & greed makes those who hunger for it, do all sorts of nasty things they normally would not do otherwise IMO

------------------------

ETA: While at the same time, how many people were happy the Queen Mother was thrown into prison??
Karma, ain't it something. LOL

The show has passed the books now. Shereen is still alive, so far. I'm guessing this is a huge spoiler for the readers.

I think burning shreen will WORK!!!!!! But of course Stannis isn't "the prince who was promised" or "Azor Ali" the red witch is wrong.

Spoilers!!!!

In the books john snow is stabbed by the NW. Then the book ends. I think the red witch raises him like berric dondarrion and then realize she was wrong about Stannis and drops him like a bad habit.

Spoilers above

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Personally, I think South Park and some other shows have gone further than GoT. I mean, there are episodes of South Park where a kid makes another kid's parents into Chili (and feeds it to him), or showing Christopher Reeves sucking stem cells out of aborted fetuses.

That said, not like it was a surprise. The idea of her sacrifice was discussed in the previous episode. I even predicted this last month in one of my posts.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

edit on 10-6-2015 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Personally, I think South Park and some other shows have gone further than GoT.

Yeah, imagine the nuttiness that would ensue if Game of Thrones made Jesus a make-believe historical figure like South Park did.

People would forget all about the failed take your kid to work day.

edit on 10-6-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Gazrok
Personally, I think South Park and some other shows have gone further than GoT.

Yeah, imagine the nuttiness that would ensue if Game of Thrones made Jesus a make-believe historical figure like South Park did.

People would forget all about the failed take your kid to work day.

They have lol. Martin has daid repeatedly that the church of the seven is Catholicism and not real.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The ideology of the faceless men is pretty good. The idea of one true god who hides behind many faces and names. Classic.

Back to topic though, as far as taboo subjects in America go, I still think nothing is going to top the constant incest in the series. Even roasting a kid. (sad as that is, that weird sex somehow trumps it). Even more over the line, the demon thing that emerges from the red witch's nether regions to do the deed to the target!

Forget the night, it's her nether regions that are dark and full of terrors!

Jon Snow may know nothing, but he knew enough to refuse that, lol.
edit on 10-6-2015 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

They have lol. Martin has daid repeatedly that the church of the seven is Catholicism and not real.

I meant in the show or the books. Nothing has been implicitly conveyed in either.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
It's Game of Thrones. This kind of violence is expected.
If a person can't take it, then they shouldn't watch.
It's brutal. But it's supposed to be.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Really? There has never been a better time for TV shows. Ever since the Sopranos the storytelling bar for a series was seriously raised. There have been a lot of amazing shows in the past 15 years. Before that it was pretty rough and you are going to have to go back a really long time to find revolutionary television (All in the Family for the serious subjects it broached, perhaps Simpsons for changing the paradigm). HBO really turned it around, and without it there would never have been the desire and drive that spawned other networks to dig deep do the same… House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Breaking Bad, etc.

As for the complaint about the violence, I don't even really know what to say… just think about how many horror/slasher movies are made every year. Think about how barbaric things used to be in this world. And yes, just look to the OT for a lesson in psychotic storytelling. And as for the issues with homosexual themes in the show… get over it. It's real and part of the history of our world. And for anything else, it's a fictional show!

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Shows like Hemlock Grove or True Blood are far more gory than GoT. I mean, on True Blood once, a vampire rips a newscaster's spine right out, while in the middle of the newscast!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join