It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pole shift??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:02 AM
link   
ok, I'm very carefull with this as the source of information comes from India Daily.
here it goes:

Indian scientists recently found a scientific method of predicting earthquakes quite accurately. The great quake of Sumatra along Andaman fault line on December 26th, could have been predicted if the world would have taken these scientists seriously.

If this theory is true, we are in for many mega earthquakes soon. When two or more planets, moon and earth and sun come in one line, these mega earthquakes happen. The sun influences the rotation of earth. Now imagine you are in a train or bus. If all on a sudden the driver pushes the brake, you tend to move forward in a jerk. Exactly same thing happens when two or more planets line up with earth and pulls from the other side. The tectonic pressures built up get released in specific points of epicenter.�

I found this theory in the net as well, made by the same scientists. It is pdf file but you can view it as HTLM here
Honestly I don't know what to think of it, some scientific help???

thank you, jazz

posted on Dec, 29 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I am no scientist, but it is quite obvious that something is going on. I think the poles wobbling caused the earthquake and moved the islands. Weather it is the magnetic field or the poles, I am not sure. Concidering everything the scientists say would happen, earthquakes, volcanoes, realy bad weather ( I am talking way over the norm. obviously) It all fits. If it was the magnetic field or the poles shifting, then that would explain
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20041229/sc_nm/quake_lanka_wildlife_dc
why no animals died.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul
Honestly I don't know what to think of it, some scientific help???
thank you, jazz

Actually it makes sense. However i'm not buying it, at least not as the only reason. I'm not astronomer, but don't such a things happen from time to time, (planet alignment I mean, we should compare dates of known quakes with alignment dates).

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Both Richard Noone, who wrote 5/5/2000, and John White, who wrote Pole Shift, have speculated on this while taking in parts of past historical events and evidences.

Be assured, that if an actual "pole shift" was even remotely beginning to take place, there would be more than one single, significant, catastrophic earthquake......there would be multiples, and I mean multiples of signs.....some in tandem and some not...some happening together, some not....
seekerof

[edit on 27-12-2004 by Seekerof]

I don't know anymore - so many strange things happened lately... weather, Earth wobble, shift of islands

I wish this theory of pole shift to be impossible...

[edit on 30-12-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Just found this thread, I had already posted in a new thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Would the Gravity Probe B spacecraft be able to measure this change? Or could the change effect the Gravity Probe B test results?

It is testing two effects:

1) the geodetic effect--the amount by which the Earth warps local spacetime in which it resides, and

2) the frame-dragging effect--the amount by which the rotating Earth drags local spacetime around with it.

More info about the probe is here:
www.gravityprobeb.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

If this theory is true, we are in for many mega earthquakes soon. When two or more planets, moon and earth and sun come in one line, these mega earthquakes happen.

So when the Sun, the Earth, and the Moon are in a line these mega-earthquakes happen? So does that mean EVERYTIME there has been a Solar or Lunar eclipse we've had a mega-earthquake? Hmm... NO!

I'm sorry jazzgul, but there's a lot of websites that are just loaded with bad science. India Daily tends to be one of them.

[edit on 12/30/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
[I'm sorry jazzgul, but there's a lot of websites that are just loaded with bad science. India Daily tends to be one of them.

[edit on 12/30/2004 by cmdrkeenkid]

Don't say sorry - The reason why I post here this story is to gain knowledge - what the heck is happening - As I staded above -I wish pole shift theory woud be false. I want to know as much as posibble to be able to connect all those puzzles, hence I've posted quote from India Daily and html theory behing that. For me the best way to debunk something is to get opinion from oposite sources

[edit on 30-12-2004 by jazzgul]

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by byrd
There has NOT been a physical pole shift in the past and there won't be this time. It takes something like being whocked by another planet or a moon to topple the Earth that much.

If the earth suddenly flipped upside down, we'd have the crust AND the oceans sliding all around and off the face of the planet

sorry byrd but im sure your wrong they found sediment in the ocean that had diffferent bands of iron or some sort of metal that had different north and souths when they finally found out that this has happened in the past due to this as evidense they realized that it dos'nt suddenly flip it happens slowly and what prof do we have for this to date the burmuda triangle

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
klain, I know what you are reff to.
THere was an entire discovery channel piece on that.
It is a generally accepted theory based on core samples taken around the world of a specific type of volcanic rock that showed the gradual Magnetic Pole shift.

Is everyone speaking of the same thing here?

Magnetic pole shift and physical pole shift?
Magnetic = Yes
Physical = No

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Have any of you ever used a compas? In order to get from point A to point B, you must set the declanation annually for the area your travelling. This, because the magnetic north shifts by approx. one degree each year.

All that to confirm that it moves around the pole. It is measurable, and if scientists (or hikers for that matter) noticed any changes it would be pretty hard to hide.... or maybe not..... all the hikers would be lost.....

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Found some info on geomagnetic dynamo model.

Magnetic pole reversals happen infrequently�on average every 250,000 years�but maybe not when you consider that it's been over 700,000 years since the last reversal, and the next one may be currently underway.
�Rick Groleau

In the 1980s, Gary Glatzmaier, now at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and Paul Roberts of the University of California, Los Angeles, began work on a computer model that simulates this interaction. By 1995, they had created a model that not only created a self-sustaining magnetic field (the first to do so), but after simulating the passage of 36,000 years, the field it generated spontaneously flipped.

Here is a link to the computer animation:
www.pbs.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Notme
but after simulating the passage of 36,000 years, the field it generated spontaneously flipped.

Either that or the universe just went through a heck of a big NMR machine.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I think it was Einstein who said the following about the possibility of a Physical Pole Shift:

"In a polar region there is a continual deposition of ice, which is not symmetrically distributed about the pole. The earth's rotation acts on these asymmetrically deposited masses [of ice], and produces centrifugal momentum that is transmitted to the rigid crust of the earth. The constantly increasing centrifugal momentum produced in this way will, when it has reached a certain point, produce a movement of the earth's crust over the rest of the earth's body, and this will displace the polar regions toward the equator." Albert Einstein

If you think that the Earths crust is only about 20Km thick on average, this is very thin in relation to the actual size of the Earth. It would be quite easy to envisage a scenario where the thin crust "slips" around the molten core.

When many people think of Pole Shifts, especially debunkers, they picture the entire earth Flipping, which would be unlikely as that would go against the huge rotational forces of the core/mantle, but in relation, the crust could quite easily move around the core, whilst the core would continue in its original motion.

Imagine of you wrapped a paper thin around a solid wooden ball, and that ball span as the earth does. If you put your finger on that spinning ball, you could easily stop the paper layer from moving, whilst you would not affect the wooden core. The paper would slip over the core.

The only question would be, what would it take to do that to the Earths crust? I am not certain, but Einstein certainly believes its possible, and i am siding with him.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The crust IS moving around the core. It is called Plate Tectonics.

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I am not an expert, but wouldnt polar reversal require that the Earth stop rotating and then spin back in the opposite direction?

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I am not an expert, but wouldnt polar reversal require that the Earth stop rotating and then spin back in the opposite direction?

No. The core could quite happily keep on rotating exactly as it has been doing, but the crust could slip over the core. Your still thinking in the terms of a solid Earth. The little thin bit we live is insignificant in relation to the mass of the core.

And yes Howard, I am aware of Plate tectonics, which IMO makes it more likely that such a scenario could happen. Again, please see my quote from Einstein, pointing to the HUGE mass of ice weighing down the crust. The way i understand it is similar to sticking an object on the outside of a gyroscope, eventually it will wobble.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   
If the physical crust started moving who knows how long it would take for it to stop moving once again. I doubt it would just rotate once and stop.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
WOW... Ok folks.. I think a few too many coocoo flew over a few too many...

Where to start with the horrible misinformation and poorly drawn conclusions:

Let's start with physical pole shift shall we, since this is clearly the MOST unfounded of the lot. Any evidence that has been pointed to, to support it can be just as easily explained by such phenomena as techtonic shifts (not full planet flipping it's rotational axis), meteor strikes and subsequent deposits, massive volcanic eruptions and their subsequent deposits, etc., etc., etc.

Second on my list is this ludacris planetary alignment garbage. I'm not even going to explain why this is wrong since there are litterally thousands of good websites, with solid PHYSICS based explanations on how the forces of the planets are only a tiny fraction of the force exerted on the planet by the MOON on a regular basis (it's all related to distance folks), just use google, until you overwhelm your desire to stick to a couple of pieces of bad math, by seeing thousands of good pieces of math.

Finally:

The earth already wobbles around it's axis (mistakenly referred to here as poles, several times, use the two terms and it simplifies a lot of discussions). It's not fixed on some magical pole. It's a balance of several forces (rotational inertia, forward speed through space, balanced by the pull of the Sun).

Now why it changed is as follows: The earth actually got every so slightly smaller as a result of that quake, more dense, and all this inertial mass got moved around and slightly affected the wobbel. It also sped the rotation of the earth slightly (I heard 3 microseconds a year, or 3 millionths of a second. Unconfirmed and likely and confirmable by the way.)

So, sorry for crappy spelling, it's late, but I couldn't read this thread any longer. I had stayed away because I knew this thread would be here when I logged in... (avoided it for almost a week LOL)

Osiris

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
stumason:

What you are describing isn't polar shift.. it's technonic movement, it's happened since the begining of time and will continue until the core cools. It will NOT happen suddenly one day. Einstien also thought quantum physics was crap for many years.

[edited to point a flaw in that convenient quote]
The ice doesn't stay there permanently. If the plates never moved that would be valid, but at one time antartica was not the south pole. And that didn't change one day, it took billions of years.. even now it's moving away from the south pole, so the ice isn't always being dumped in the same spot.

www.ucmp.berkeley.edu...

There you go.... I linked something.. sheesh...

[edit on 31-12-2004 by otlg27]

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Einstein was overrated. Just my opinion. What a deal. Come up with all these wild ideas and people have to prove you wrong instead of you proving yourself right.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join