It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress sends NSA phone-records bill to president

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Looks like Congress has agreed on some kind of compromise on spying !!!

More "restrictions" on phone records.

Don't know the *real* details and mumbo-jumbo.

Is it *really* a change for the better? Or is there something suspicious and hidden that may have been the goals afterall?

Congress sends NSA phone-records bill to president

Congress approved sweeping changes Tuesday to surveillance laws enacted after the Sept. 11 attacks, eliminating the National Security Agency's disputed bulk phone-records collection program and replacing it with a more restrictive measure to keep the records in phone companies' hands.

Two days after Congress let the phone-records and several other anti-terror programs expire, the Senate's 67-32 vote sent the legislation to President Barack Obama, who said he would sign it promptly.

"It protects civil liberties and our national security," Obama said on Twitter. The bill signing could happen late Tuesday or early Wednesday, but officials said it could take at least several days to restart the collection.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I just cannot understand how anyone would even think that they really stopped any spying. even if there was no return of the PA, our leaders would never stop using everything at their disposal to remain at the helm at anyone's expense...

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Man I gotta better my reading and comprehension skills...
I totally mistook the title and assumed congress actually sent Obama a phone bill!

I'm an a$$!

I was about to feel great.

But OP... you called it Sunday night saying that it would never go away. Just get black funded and renamed...

edit on 2-6-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Man I gotta better my reading and comprehension skills...
I totally mistook the title and assumed congress actually sent Obama a phone bill!

I'm an a$$!

I was about to feel great.

Wrong "toll-free" number I bet !!!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: teslahowitzer

Agreed.

NSA says 'trust us'.
Feds say 'trust us'.

No thanks.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

"It protects civil liberties and our national security," Obama said on Twitter.

Dangerous statement from Obama.

Look OUT !!

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
they just don't get it...

Ball may be rolling before I return stateside in 2018.

I wonder what the final straw will be...

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I figured this would happen. Rand Paul would piss and moan to block the "Patriot Act" to help bolster his 2016 campaign. Then behind closed doors, they send the same thing, with likely another name, to the White House to become law.

No one in their right mind could even think for a second they would let that NSA infrastructure go to waste.

It's also not going to take several days for the NSA to resume their activities. They never stopped.
edit on 6/2/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Let's just ignore the Congress right?

Barry shares the blame here with congress, let's not let them off the hook.

does not enhance the privacy protections of American citizens. And it surely undermines American security by taking one more tool form our warfighters at exactly the wrong time."

From mitch.

"This legislation is critical to keeping Americans safe from terrorism and protecting their civil liberties," Boehner said.

From olé Johhny boy.
edit on ndTue, 02 Jun 2015 18:15:31 -0500America/Chicago620153180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Why would they stop. They have the entire federal government being policed and watchdogged by the federal government. That's like asking an Italian to guard and not touch the lasagna lol it just ain't gonna happen lol

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I found this quote extremely interesting, just like O'Care, lets pass it to see what is in it.

Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-CA) said prior to the final vote, “I think it should be passed as is if we want to get it back in operation, and I think it’s foremost that this be operable.” She suggested she might be open to amendments in the future. “We could amend it …but we need to get this done now

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I guess we'll need a new Edward Snowden.....

I guess hindsight really is 20/20 Eh folks.... I mean NO ONE would have ever guessed it was actually going to pass. And let me guess, those secret programs that weren't part of the original legislation are now part of this one. Problem, reaction, solution. Snowden, the NSA whistleblower just got blown by America. Bravo!

The fact he even received media time shoulda been obvious huh?
edit on 2-6-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: VimanaExplorer

Feinstein & Pelosi....2 of the 3 witches in McBeth. The third already caved. Boxer.

See what we Californians contribute??. ** hangs head in shame **

(I apologize to witches and citizens everywhere)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: roaland

Why would they stop. They have the entire federal government being policed and watchdogged by the federal government. That's like asking an Italian to guard and not touch the lasagna lol it just ain't gonna happen lol

The bill signing could happen late Tuesday or early Wednesday, but officials said it could take at least several days to restart the collection.

From the article. They're claiming it will take several days to restart. They lie by claiming it will take time to restart. It never stopped.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

that was exactly my point

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: xuenchen

Let's just ignore the Congress right?

Barry shares the blame here with congress, let's not let them off the hook.

does not enhance the privacy protections of American citizens. And it surely undermines American security by taking one more tool form our warfighters at exactly the wrong time."

From mitch.

"This legislation is critical to keeping Americans safe from terrorism and protecting their civil liberties," Boehner said.

From olé Johhny boy.

Yes.
Look at all those jerks pointing the finger at Sen. Paul... he is one of the very few trying to do the right thing.
We are screwed and we are past the point of saving ourselves without blood being shed, imo.

The name of the bill scares me.... Freedom. It has nothing to do with freedom, other than the feds are free to do as they wish.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: teslahowitzer
I just cannot understand how anyone would even think that they really stopped any spying. even if there was no return of the PA, our leaders would never stop using everything at their disposal to remain at the helm at anyone's expense...

You beat me to it, I was honking to post that.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
So we get rid of the Patriot Act despite the objections of a president who made removing it a major campaign promise and 2 days later we have a bill named with equal amounts of doublespeak called the Freedom Act that does the exact same thing and is being passed by said president that promised civil liberties and transparency.

Everyone already said it was going to happen, but I guess it takes having it happen to really bring it home. This is why I really dislike Obama... at least we've learned over the years that when this program started Bush didn't even read the thing before signing because Cheney told him he would sleep easier at night if he didn't know. But Obama's not an idiot, and thanks to his education background if anyone in the entire country should know better, it's him.

Tyranny in action.
edit on 2-6-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
lol people .... It will take nothing short of revolution to wipe powers from the powers..... History teaches you masses nothing. And I'll teach you this, America isn't revolting in our life time. Trix are for kids

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join