It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical Question About Time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanityrising

We know time slows down or speeds up in relation to gravity. My question is, hypothetically, if a life form evolved on a planet with a much higher gravitational pull, say the pull was so strong that time passed roughly a million times slower, would that life form live a million times longer? Or would it be the same amount of time? It confuses me because if time passes more slowly, wouldn't that technically mean it is taking more time?

I can't seem to wrap my head around this. Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks
HR

From someone living in a planet where time is 1mil times slower, time will proceed normally. If that is a human being, they will live to a full life of around 80 years old counting the time exactly 80 years...

Only from an outside observer it will pass for 80 million years.

This is like the movie Matrix but in reverse, Neo sees himself moving in normal speed but to an outside observer, he is moving even faster than a bullet.

Have you ever experienced time to stop even for a brief period? It does happen.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
So if a guy gets on a space ship and goes 2 light years away and come back. he will feel and experience time differently? What if we track his flight and record the exact time it took him to go that distance at the different points on his journey and come back. if we show the time he was at each point and he also tracks the time on the space ship at each point relative to him how can he possibly come up with a longer or shorter time than what was tracked on earth? He cant say yeah I was gone for only 2 days while the people on earth tracked him say no you where gone for 4 days since it is a fact according to the time log that he was gone for that amount of time.
edit on 3-6-2015 by jlafleur02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: jlafleur02

It will both times, earth time and ship time are both real and accurate to their respective frames of reference.

There is no absolute universal time, just time relative to each point.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I don't know if this relates or not to your question about time, but a thought crossed my mind after reading your thread about the fountain of youth...

Maybe this is the fabled "Fountain of Youth" we all have heard about. Perhaps this is what they were trying to explain, that people had traveled to space and come back appearing to have gotten younger when in fact the ones left here on Earth had aged while the ones who had traveled stayed the same age.

A story of the "Water of Life" appears in the Eastern versions of the Alexander romance, which describes Alexander the Great and his servant crossing the Land of Darkness to find the restorative spring.

old people, often carried, enter at left, strip, and enter a pool that is as large as space allows.

Fountain of Youth

leolady

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

After some further thought; it is probably more probable that life on such planets would not even grow to be that large, micro, insects, maybe they would develop methods to escape the great gravity, depending on what materials were at their disposal.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
If you've seen Interstellar, you could look at it this way: The two people trapped on the planet did live decades longer than those on Earth, but to them it didn't seem any longer. They had no "extra" time.

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Gravity is just space trying to reclaim space, and the more matter in the space , the harder the space tries to reclaim, well space and time finds it choppy and harder .
Imagine a boat ok on dead calm seas and it gets choppy coming to dock due to the water trying to claim the land !
Same as time and gravity !

Just my ten bob and yes I am baked .

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
You are only parroting, what has been posted earlier.
But hey, change your stomach turning avatar, will ya
a reply to: johndeere2020

posted on Jun, 4 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

I imagine if any life did manage to evolve on a world with such gravity, even if it somehow how managed to attain sentience, would find themselves rather hard pressed to invent simple flight through their own atmosphere never mind actually managing to achieve escape velocity or orbit considering the power that would be required.

Then again we humble humans have only ever observed life on our own world so really we have know idea as to how the process of evolution may function under different conditions.

posted on Jun, 9 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

For instance in the analogy of the guy that goes to deep space and comes back to find everyone he left is long dead and gone...did he feel time slow down?

Nope.

That's the point of it being "relative".

In this case, relative to the astronaut, time passed for HIM normally.

Relative to those on Earth, time passed normally (relative to those on Earth).

It's only when comparing notes, that the difference becomes apparent.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join