It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical Question About Time

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
We know time slows down or speeds up in relation to gravity. My question is, hypothetically, if a life form evolved on a planet with a much higher gravitational pull, say the pull was so strong that time passed roughly a million times slower, would that life form live a million times longer? Or would it be the same amount of time? It confuses me because if time passes more slowly, wouldn't that technically mean it is taking more time?

I can't seem to wrap my head around this. Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks
HR
edit on 2-6-2015 by humanityrising because: Wording

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: humanityrising

Time is a relative concept.

We mark a year by how long it takes us to go around the sun.

Another planet far far away, may do the same thing, but if it takes the equivalent of 6 months instead of a year, then they could claim to live 'twice as long' as humans, without really living any longer. It would just be perceived by them to be that way.

I'm not familiar enough with gravity vs time effects to know how much a difference that would play though.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Time seems to run at different speeds around the universe. Its going to mess with space travel if we ever get there.
A life form on a higher gravity planet would seem to live longer to us measuring it from earth, but to it it would be cruising along as normal and we'd be speed up

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Time is relative to the frame of reference

en.wikipedia.org...

For us we would see them as moving really slow, if they came to us we would see them at as normal speed, but from their planet they would be moving super fast, when they return millions of years could have passed since they departed to the people in their planet, but just moments for the travelers

or something, i don't know see interstellar

edit on 2-6-2015 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Thanks for the reply

I guess maybe a better way to put it would be, when time is passing slower, does that take more time?

For instance in the analogy of the guy that goes to deep space and comes back to find everyone he left is long dead and gone...did he feel time slow down?

I remember the movie Interstellar sort of being about this, and while he was in a place where time passed much slower he didn't seem to notice, though I don't know if that is accurate or not.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Its all about perspective i imagine.

From your point of reference, if you could somehow observe the beings for millions of years they may very well appear to live all that time but from there own perspective there life time could be just as short as us Humans.
edit on 2-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Please remember, all of this is theory at present. Some experiments tend to back up the theory but .... yeah. Perhaps we need to wait until we know what causes both gravity and time. At present, we simply do not know.

P

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZeussusZ

Time seems to run at different speeds around the universe. Its going to mess with space travel if we ever get there.
A life form on a higher gravity planet would seem to live longer to us measuring it from earth, but to it it would be cruising along as normal and we'd be speed up

originally posted by: Indigent
Time is relative to the frame of reference

en.wikipedia.org...

For us we would see them as moving really slow, if they came to us we would see them at as normal speed, but from their planet they would be moving super fast, when they return millions of years could have passed since they departed to the people in their planet, but just moments for the travelers

or something, i don't know see interstellar

Pretty mind-boggling to say the least...

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Its all about perspective i imagine.

From your point of reference, if you could somehow observe the beings for millions of years they may very well appear to live all that time but from there own perspective there life time could be just as short as us Humans.

I see...it seems to be all about us watching them or them watching us, which is altogether crazy in itself.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Please remember, all of this is theory at present. Some experiments tend to back up the theory but .... yeah. Perhaps we need to wait until we know what causes both gravity and time. At present, we simply do not know.

P

It's all very intriguing, I hope we learn more about it in my lifetime so my mind can continue to be blown.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

The movie "Interstellar" poses a similar scenario to the question you asked. When the star-ship ventures to a planet that orbits close to a singularity, they send down a lander, but the time the ship in orbit experiences is disproportional to the time the lander experiences on the planet. From the person on the orbiting crafts perspective months seen to have passed, but from the people on the lander's perspective there time on the world seems only to be hours. Good movie i suggest you give it a go if you have not done so already.
edit on 2-6-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Relative to our timeframe and understanding of time, they would seem immortal as viewed from Earth's temporal settings, based on your theoretical question.

I think that's why Stephen Hawking proposes that no god (or, really, anything) could have created the Big Bang because the gravity at the point of singularity is so high that time is so slow that it just stops, meaning that nothing could have existed prior to that point.

I think there are theories being shown as possible that say otherwise, but basing your question on what is accepted concerning gravity and the BBT, these beings' lifespans would be super long.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: humanityrising
It confuses me because if time passes more slowly, wouldn't that technically mean it is taking more time?

From THEIR point of view, no.

From YOURS, yes.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It is said that time can be measured by the constant, or speed of light squared. Mass therefore is not traveling that fast relative to the constant and is slower. The more mass/gravity the slower time goes. Think of it as a sheet called time and the wrinkles in it are mass. Contained within the sheet are lines of fabric we can now call the "Higgs field".

Time and energy would go on it's merry way were it not for the Higgs field which acts like speed bumps, or better yet like people getting in the way of a runner in a track race. The more dense the crowd the slower he goes and the more stable he gets until all he can do is push his way through. That would be mass, in his case a mass of people there on the track.

The rate of speed is dependent then of the density of the Higgs field. If you could cancel out the Higgs field, you could probably travel faster than light whereas light is still moving through the fabric although at near non density, that little bit of field is holding it at it's present rate of speed. Absent the fabric or Higgs field, one could quite possibly exceed by many times the speed of light because there are no speed bumps at all to contend with. No street lights, no stop signs, only open road where you own the highway.

In answering the question posed. A person of greater density would move through time slower, but if they were at our present place in the universe with us, they would simply seem to live longer than us by what the Higgs field allows. Communication and all things considered would seem to us to be the same between us and them.

edit on 2-6-2015 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

We know time slows down or speeds up in relation to gravity. My question is, hypothetically, if a life form evolved on a planet with a much higher gravitational pull, say the pull was so strong that time passed roughly a million times slower, would that life form live a million times longer? Or would it be the same amount of time? It confuses me because if time passes more slowly, wouldn't that technically mean it is taking more time?

I can't seem to wrap my head around this. Any and all input is welcome.

Thanks
HR

The effect on time by gravity is very minimal. The speed factor (time dilation) has a much greater impact .
If we believe some of the current models about time , the singularity contained all time as well as matter , energy and space. Therefore all time happened simultaneously at the big bang.It is a person's relative viewpoint in the space/time fabric that causes the illusion of time passing. Something like when you fall asleep and then appear to immediately awaken with no concept of how much time has passed.
There can not be "more or less" time only the illusionary passage thereof.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I think this is a great question that has been posed. The first thing that came to my mind was: "Could life actually evolve in a system where gravity was significantly stronger than here on Earth?" Even though life is EVERYWHERE (at least here on Earth), the actual conditions for creating life, from what I understand, must fall within very specific and narrow confines.
I did not do any research, yet, shame on me, and it is not my intention to change the subject, just wanted to respond with my thoughts.

Thanks for posting!
edit on 622015 by seattlerat because: my spilling sugs

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

We know time slows down or speeds up in relation to gravity.

Contrary to MS or popular belief, universal time actually speeds up in direct proportion, in relation with gravity.
You can now extrapolate for your ques answers.

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
You are the first person I have come across, who knows about the universality of perception of time by matter, whether living or otherwise, in its own frame of reference.
But time actually speeds up with gravity.
a reply to: tothetenthpower

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I think the being would probably be stronger,, but also, proportionally heavier? A million times the force of gravity, a being that had to grow, mechanically, complexly a body/mind to endure that gravity while bonding materials, would probably contain a lot of mass? As it needed stronger energy bonds per area, to create skeletal, muscle, pumps, systems, etc. cells... that it might be so heavy as to take a lot more energy to move it? Like on earth, if it weighed tons? Gravity would be lighter then it is used too, but I dont think that means it would float into the air, it would just be able to mechanically operate its bodily mechanisms, with greater ease, which might not be an advantage, as imagine if how you normally lift your arm, the amount of energy you use to control it and force it up, you did the same thing and your arm lifted a million times faster and with greater ease?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join