It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Holes in Swiss cheese come from bacteria, Right? Think again.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:18 AM
I'm so glad it isn't CERN creating them.

I know, I know you are thinking "CERN has only been around a few years" But what if CERN really is producing the holes (black holes really) and somehow changing the space-time continuum so that we all think that there have been holes in Swiss cheese for as long as can be remembered? AHA! Got you wondering now haven't I? And where is all the missing Swiss cheese going to anyway? I smell a conspiracy here.
edit on 30/5/15 by Cinrad because: My head hurts, I think I have been on ATS too long.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 06:31 AM
This is just too much!
Taking the "mystery" out of my swiss cheese??!! Really???? Is nothing sacred???? Had been missing the holes in the Lorraine Swiss, but I'd hoped they'd come back on their own? I didn't need to know the whys, just enjoy the cheese......
Man....this sucks......

We know TOO MUCH!!!!
Life is getting smaller......sobs!!!

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 07:07 AM

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I pondered that theory also prior to my first assumption. Myself I just can't see or understand how a particle would form such a large barrier around itself. Or why it would obtain a circular form...

Here's my guess:

As the cheese dries as it forms, it shrinks and tightens. There is still enough elasticity in the cheese matrix for most of it to keep a homogeneous smoothness (without holes). However, where that homogeneity is disturbed by the presence of the hay dust, the matrix of the cheese is broken, and then forms round voids as the cheese matrix tightens up -- just as a small pinhole in an elastic surface (like elastic balloon material) will grow into a larger circle when that surface is stretched and tightened in all directions equally.

Cool guess, and it's really a shame that the article doesn't mention how exactly do those tiny particles of hay cause the holes to appear.

<< 1   >>