It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Discovers Organic Matter on Mars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: mrwiffler
a reply to: wildespace

There are carbon compounds on the moon and in asteroids.

The moon: ntrs.nasa.gov...

Asteroids: adsabs.harvard.edu...

I still think it is dopey to get all excited about a few bits of carbon. It makes sense that the "building blocks of life" are going to be strewn throughout the cosmos. They're just chemicals...matter....and it's everywhere.

But this thread (and the news being discussed) isn't about carbon, I had hoped I made that clear in my previous post. Carbon is produced in stars during their life, and is one of the most common elements in the universe. There are lots of carbon-containing minerals out there, but they aren't organic. Organic compounds or molecules are the ones that contain at least hydrogen bound to carbon (hydrocarbon molecules) or the more complex molecules with additional elements - but the main constituents are hydrogen and carbon.

They may be "just chemicals" to you, but for scientists (who, I'm sure have better knowledge in this field than you) they are essential building blocks of life, which aren't found everywhere.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin
"The Curiosity rover has found and analysed the first definitively identified piece of organic matter on the surface of Mars.

These organic molecules, consisting primarily of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen atoms, are the building blocks of all life on Earth. However, it is important to note that these molecules may not have come from life forms on Mars -- organic molecules can be created from chemical processes that do not involve life, NASA said. At this stage, there is not enough evidence to determine the provenance of the molecules -- but either way, their presence has meaning."

This of course was whole point of going to Gale Crater, to find and analyze rocks and soil in the hopes of finding evidence of past life. And now they're found it! ...

I think you're jumping the gun a bit--it's really cool that they found these chemical compounds that could be evidence of past life on Mars, but it's not solid proof of past life on Mars. While this is significant, it's also not a smoking gun, which is probably why there's not ticker-tape parade going on about it, or religions rewriting their creation stories just yet.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Farlander

It would not be the find of the century, it would be the single greatest discovery in the history of humanity. When the actual proof is there, it will be incredible. I believe the next rover has a lot of instruments for this purpose.

While I agree ,that splotch of bacteria will be forgotten
if Bill Nye has an abduction experience he can't shake
and learns he has Alien DNA embedded under his finger nails as proof.
He then simply must do a tell all with Barbara Walters.
Thats the single gray-test event in human history.

Until the samples are destroyed in the spectrometer
and it's ruled inconclusive . Then Bill wanders hollow eyed from
one UFO convention to the next proclaiming "No ! I saw this ! "
Neil Degrass Tyson tells everyone it was hallucination.
edit on 26-5-2015 by UnderKingsPeak because: word edit

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Epithelial cells from one of the faces?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

They may be "just chemicals" to you, but for scientists (who, I'm sure have better knowledge in this field than you) they are essential building blocks of life, which aren't found everywhere.

Except I already linked a scientific reference which says they are found everywhere.

Organic matter is defined as chemical compounds containing carbon-hydrogen bonds of covalent character, i.e., with the carbon and hydrogen forming a true chemical bond. Observations over the last century have established that these molecules are ubiquitous throughout the universe, not only in our Galaxy (Kwok 2007b) but even out to high redshifts (Yan et al. 2005).

journals.cambridge.org...

u·biq·ui·tous
yo͞oˈbikwədəs/
adjective
present, appearing, or found everywhere.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
So there's absolutely no significance to finding organics on Mars? Why were they looking for them in the first place, if they are "everywhere" as you say?

posted on May, 29 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
So there's absolutely no significance to finding organics on Mars? Why were they looking for them in the first place, if they are "everywhere" as you say?

They are the building blocks of life. If you want to look for a needle in a haystack doesn't it make sense to look for the hay first? Finding hay doesn't mean you will find the needle, but if there is no hay, there's no point in looking for the needle.

There is no significance as far as being proof of life. All it means is that going on to the next step of looking deeper makes sense.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

But you just said the haystack was everywhere...

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Parthin

It's interesting, but not anything conclusive. We need data and confirmation as to where the methane plumes are coming from. India is sending a satellite that will explore the atmosphere of Mars, and I hope they find the answer.

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: VekTorVik

But you just said the haystack was everywhere...

Yes, there are haystacks all over on Earth. They are found all over Earth. Does that mean every step you take is on one? Are you intentionally being obtuse or do you really not understand?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I like to think of myself as acute, but in this case I am only trying to ask which way do you lean. It seemed you had chosen both angles, the "no big deal" and the "possible".

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It's as conclusive as chemical tests will show. Let's just say this is why we have a rover in a former lake bed. Because we thought organic matter might be there.
a reply to: Kratos40

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: VekTorVik

I like to think of myself as acute, but in this case I am only trying to ask which way do you lean. It seemed you had chosen both angles, the "no big deal" and the "possible".

ob·tuse
əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/Submit
adjective
annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

Seems the answer is yes. Some people simply choose ignorance, sad.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
You couldn't even give me a little credit for word play? Simple questions can insight such anger? ! ? !

Off to my other website...Embrace Ignorance. See you there!

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: VekTorVik

No credit is given when your wordplay includes your desire to ignore facts and sources and choose ignorance instead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join