It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman is gone...thank goodness!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Frankly, listening to all the radio and TV, including sports broadcasters, pay homage to Letterman even going so far as to call him the best ever in the late night show genre has me laughing. Granted there's the millenials who weren't raised with Carson, but for those of us that were, we know better.

Letterman will never trump Carson, IMO.

Letterman's dry humor crossed the line into cynical far too often for my taste. The was never the case with Johnny Carson.

Add in the Letterman era had far more latitude than in earlier days as well. All in all, given a choice between watching old Carson shows on DVDs or Letterman live? I'd take the DVDs every time. A good comparison would be the old Kraft roasts hosted by Martin compared with the garbage of today...ok, that's harsh, Letterman isn't that bad..LOL. Still, no lost sleep with his departure....

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I never cared for him much either. Conan and John Oliver crack me up!

Stephen Colbert is a bit to Clintonesque for my taste.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I liked Dave and am sad to see him go

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

And there were those who said that Carson was a poor replacement for Carr, who was a poor replacement for Allen. Letterman managed to stay on the air for, what, 33 years? That, in and of itself is something worth admiring. Carson, BTW, fell 3 years shy of that mark.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Stephen Colbert is a bit to Clintonesque for my taste.

What does being Clintonesque entail?
And would it be his character he played that was so or him off camera?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Oh, Carson spread his political jokes to whoever was in power. Letterman was a bit more biased.

Heck, I preferred Leno and even he wasn't in the same league with Carson. Both of them would bow deeply to Carson in the day.

Sigh, I guess I'm just old...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
lol good for you people that care! glad you are happy! Im sure letterman is happy as well! its a win win.

For the of us that are not television sycophants... well... good for you! letterman is gone!!!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Hmm. longevity isn't really an issue, in my mind. Both quit when they decided to. I'd go as far as saying both Leno and Letterman to some degree owe the opportunity to Carson.

I remember Carson hosting the Academy awards after retiring from the Tonight Show. I wonder if Letterman gets some of the those now?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Oh, by the way, No one said Carson was a poor replacement for either once they got to know him. As a matter of fact, I can't recall anyone saying Carson wasn't better than both when he retired. That includes Letterman and Leno....

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Letterman had a hosting gig once - and something went horribly wrong I believe. He jokes about it from time to time. Actually if you do a bit of research you will see that Carson got a LOT of heat for the first few seasons of his hosting The Tonight Show.

I do agree that both Letterman and Leno would praise Johnny - as they both got their "in" on late night by serving as guest hosts for his show.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Johnny Carson was the man. Letterman was an arrogant, mean-spirited a-hole.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Letterman used to be my favorite because of my sarcastic nature, but I'm guessing within the last decade his humor seemed to take the turn onto the road of old-man bitterness, and it's turned me off from liking him.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Off camera and not in character. Wait and see who his first few guests will be. And notice how many are Clintonesque themselves.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I loved Dave with Mrs. Marve on his daytime show for the first couple years.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

They both retired when the networks decided they wanted to. Carson was the exception.

My fave late-night show of all time... The Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I met Wolfman Jack once in a restaurant way back when. Nice guy.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Letterman? Not a fan. I found him snobbish and too left wing political.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
+1 on slapmonkey. Letterman lasted a few years past his heyday. started funny, ended bitter.

good commentary on same
nypost.com...

edit on 22-5-2015 by works4dhs because: add useful linque

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Sure, Carson was the man...but Dave had his own accomplishments too. Just because he's no Carson is not a reason to hate on him. Leno wasn't exactly a shoe filler either.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

I guess the reasoning I had was those that placed him as the best ever. Granted, I didn't like him, but I'd agree he wasn't bad. I enjoyed a lot of the 'top tens'.

I suppose rather than 'thank goodness' it should have been 'no big deal'. No hate on him, just no love....assuming there's a distinction.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join