It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuits being prepared to remove 'In God We Trust' from currency - Citing Religious Freedom

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I don't know if this is true or just another online ludicrous lie or what. Being from the UK myself I not that bothered with whats written or pictured on our currency as long as its in my pocked or bank account, thats all that matters to me.

Also I'm not particularly religious so again whats written or pictured doesn't bother me. I'm wondering wht the US member think about the possibilty of removeing 'In God We Trust' from their bank notes.

www.addictinginfo.org...

One of the founding principles of the United States of America was to be free from religious rule. The Constitution itself reads, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” so why do religious zealots insist we keep a phrase on our currency that is so profoundly un-American?

Another question that can be asked is, “In which God are we trusting?” considering in a free nation everyone is allowed to worship whatever God they choose as so long as they’re not harming anyone. In fact, having a religion is not requirement, so by inferring that all Americans are trusting in a deity is a direct affront to freedom itself.

And if we allow “In God We Trust” on currency, where does the insertion of religion into government end? There is to be a separation of church and state. This is to protect not just the state, but also the church. I doubt any churchgoer would like the government to show up at their place of worship and tell them how to pray to their God, or carry something at all times that was a misrepresentation of themselves. This separation is for a reason — Freedom of religion, and freedom from religion.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaAgent

There will be a big uproar. Almost every single republican will be opposed to this. It will die in commitee

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
i would love to see it removed.
we all use currency.
the currency says in god we trust but 'we' all dont.
i dont.
i would rather it say nothing than say that.
in god i absolutely do not trust.

i doubt it will happen but it would be great if it did

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   

It certainly violates the truth in advertising axiom.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent
I don't know if this is true or just another online ludicrous lie or what. Being from the UK myself I not that bothered with whats written or pictured on our currency as long as its in my pocked or bank account, thats all that matters to me.

Also I'm not particularly religious so again whats written or pictured doesn't bother me. I'm wondering wht the US member think about the possibilty of removeing 'In God We Trust' from their bank notes.

www.addictinginfo.org...

One of the founding principles of the United States of America was to be free from religious rule. The Constitution itself reads, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” so why do religious zealots insist we keep a phrase on our currency that is so profoundly un-American?

Another question that can be asked is, “In which God are we trusting?” considering in a free nation everyone is allowed to worship whatever God they choose as so long as they’re not harming anyone. In fact, having a religion is not requirement, so by inferring that all Americans are trusting in a deity is a direct affront to freedom itself.

And if we allow “In God We Trust” on currency, where does the insertion of religion into government end? There is to be a separation of church and state. This is to protect not just the state, but also the church. I doubt any churchgoer would like the government to show up at their place of worship and tell them how to pray to their God, or carry something at all times that was a misrepresentation of themselves. This separation is for a reason — Freedom of religion, and freedom from religion.

I honestly couldn't care.

I'm not religious, it could say "hail Satan" and I honestly wouldnt care.

I think too many folks get too wrapped up in religion, it isn't healthy.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Enjoy the downward spiral while it lasts.

He wont be mocked forever.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Who?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Maybe at the same time they will remove the tax exempt status from religious establishments. The scientologists won't allow that though. I say remove all the writings from the bill. It simply needs to state how much it is worth and be hard to duplicate. Put a picture of a unicorn on it for all I care.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Most people are not aware it was added to paper currency due to a huge campaign by the Knights of Columbus in the 1950's. It had appeard on minted currency since the Civil War in some form and on all coins since 1938.

I am fine with E Pluribus Unum.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I for one would like to see this religious reinforcement removed from all aspects of my government. There is no reason for it to be on any currency to begin with. I guess it takes faith to believe in the legitamacy of both god and money, but at least money will actually do something for you.

Next on the list should be tax exemptions for churches. There are already tax credits for money that is donated to charities. With all the multi acre church buildings being built around me, that money could have been used for some real charity work. How much does a 70' tall stained glass window cost? How does that help the needs of the poor and elderly and disabled? The answer is..... It doesn't. It 's there to attract more people with money.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Aren't money and god the same entity?

Ask any televangelist. You can't have money without god, and you can't have god without money. The two are inseparable.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

They are actually doing Christians a favor don't you think? Take a good look at the fiat currency we call money! Hell, it should be the Christians demanding it being taken off the damn paper.

Kind of odd, that we hear "Money is the root of all evil" yet "In God We Trust" is on it?

Which God?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
i would love to see it removed.
we all use currency.
the currency says in god we trust but 'we' all dont.
i dont.
i would rather it say nothing than say that.
in god i absolutely do not trust.

i doubt it will happen but it would be great if it did

It's been on coins since the 1800's and was inspired by the Star Spangled Banner, you know, the National Anthem.

It's been the National Motto since the 1950's.

Just because you don't believe in God does not give you license to erase the history of America.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

originally posted by: EnigmaAgent

www.addictinginfo.org...

I honestly couldn't care.

I'm not religious, it could say "hail Satan" and I honestly wouldnt care.

I think too many folks get too wrapped up in religion, it isn't healthy.

As a Christian I actually don't care. What bothers me is the erasing of American History. You don't need to believe yourself to recognize how important that faith was to our country for hundreds of years.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
None of this really matters.
The end is near for hard currency.
You will receive your number soon.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
So I guess the next step would be to eliminate the swearing in of our elected officials with their hand on the bible as well?

I don't remember anything terrible happening when they started taking the Ten Commandments out of schools, but this could be the turning point for some ultra-religious!

My debit card doesn't say "In God we Trust", so I'm not too worried the sky is going to fall!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Are you saying that having pieces of paper with your god's name on it being used for the most heinous and evil transactions isn't mocking your god?

If I were a Christian, I would support the removal so as to protect my god's reputation. I certainly wouldn't want people to think that my religion is affiliated with the US.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

things can change.
i say get rid of it

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Not only that but why is it part of American history? Know what other religious abominations were part of American history? the KKK. The WBS. Scientology.

It was added on the money in the 50's....when in the 1700's we fought for religious freedom...and yet it's totally ok for IGWT to be on money...but Occams (sorry I still don't know how to multi-reply...would you be ok with American history if tomorrow Congress voted to remove IGWT and add In Isis (the goddess before ATS freaks out) We Trust?

It'd be American history

My vote is that no....Christians would probably lose it

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

From the Bible.

Matthew 6:24

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (money).

Sadly these so called "Men of God" have chosen money over the teachings of Jesus.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join