It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite Quotes and why!! From real people.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

I shall return!!!- Douglas McArthur

I'll be back- terminator

Apology accepted....admiral.- Lord Vader( as the admiral lays dying)

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.- Oppenheimer (as he watched the trinity atomic bomb test)

If you can read this thank a teacher, if you can read this in English, thank a soldier- unknown

Why murder you political enemy when they are commiting suicide- Winston Churchill

Listen soldiers, one of these days your going to be sitting there walking along on patrol and BOOM!!!! Your buddy is going to turn into pudding all over your face.
You ARE going to wipe him off and drive on, hooah?- drill Sgt Keller( my basic training)

Just noticed, judging by my quotes, I'm kinda a dark morbid person...damn.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: lostgirl

Neither Churchil nor Wilde ever uttered or wrote the words you attribute to them.

Lol, what are the "quote Nazi"?

Googling everyone's quotes to make they got them exactly right?

Just enjoy the fun!!!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   

" Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. "

Winston S. Churchill.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
This quote by Mark Twain is extremely relevant for U.S. politics (it was then and it's even more relevant now):

Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Young lady, your sitting on a pot of gold, and you don't even know.

-Hubby's extremely religious, baptist grandmother.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If passion drives you, then let reason steer you.

An intelligent person can see the truth. A wise person can see the illusion.

If you don't accept truth as a friend, it will come as a conquerer.

Buyer beware.

Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
....Beethoven

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
All by Edgar Allan Poe:

I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

Quotes from NON real people -

Tony Stark: Is it better to be feared or respected? I say is it too much to ask for both?

Davey Jones: Life is cruel. Why should the afterlife be any different?
(Pirates movie - Dead Mans Chest)
edit on 5/20/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Yes sir, I am a tortured man for all seasons, as they say, and I have powerful friends in high places. Birds sing where I walk, and children smile when they see me coming.
Hunter S. Thompson

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I'm a big Carl Jung fan. I would bet that Jung's theory on "the shadow" was greatly influenced by Poe.

More quotes:

There is no coming to consciousness without pain.
-Jung

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. When the going gets weird, the weird turn professional.
-Hunter Thompson

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Mark Twain

Nature loves courage. Make the commitment, and nature will respond to that commitment by removing impossible obstacles. Dream the impossible dream and the world will not grind you under, it will lift you up.
-Terence McKenna

You don't have to speak loudly for your words to be effective. The thunder doesn't grow the flowers. The rain does.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
-Rumi

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I'm a big Carl Jung fan. I would bet that Jung's theory on "the shadow" was greatly influenced by Poe.

SO AM I!!

Carl Jung quotes -

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.

Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people.

The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Had to boot up the old laptop to retrieve these. There's a bunch! Some of them are pretty good.

If you call one wolf, you're inviting the pack.

Taunt the alligator after you’ve crossed the river.

A wise man appreciates an enemy; a fool doesn’t even appreciate a friend.

Most children are afraid of the dark. Many grown-ups are afraid of the light.

That which can be made explicit to the idiot is not worth my care.
-William Blake

The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
-William Blake

The entire ocean can’t sink a ship unless the water gets inside. Similarly, the negativity of the entire world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside.

Excuses are tools of incompetence, used to build monuments to nothing, employed by those who seldom amount to anything.

You don’t have to wait for an apology to forgive someone.

If you want to build a boat and go sailing, don't tell your friends to bring wood for masts and cloth for sails.
Don't tell them to bring saws and hammers. Tell them how wonderful the sea is.

Give what you cannot keep, to gain what you cannot lose.

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth.
-Otto von Bismarck

A true optimist isn't a fool. They know the world is painful. They accept it.
And they go on. A real optimist is someone who knows how sad the world is.
A pessimist is someone who somehow re-learns it everyday.

No one can fully realize the wealth of sympathy, kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child.

edit on 20-5-2015 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Well, now that I have specifically searched "mis-attributed" quotes (something one does not think to do after having read them countless times in many and various publications), I stand corrected...

However, your statement is not entirely correct - as in fact resources (including "The Winston Churchill Centre") state that there is simply "no evidence" that these remarks were ever made...

...and since it would be impossible for every word ever uttered by anyone, no matter how famous, to have been recorded - well, how can we know for certain?

Also, must you be so snide in correcting people?

- It's really a very hurtful way to treat people who have given what they believe to be accurate information with the best of intentions...

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

"The better you get, the harder you work" --Albert King.

One of the "Three Kings of the Blues Guitar" (along with B.B. King and Freddie King), Albert King stood 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m), some reports say 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) and weighed 250 pounds (110 kg)[1] and was known as "The Velvet Bulldozer".

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Some that runs in my familly:

If you go to bed with an itchy ass, you'll get up with stinky fingers.

Misery is optional.

A favorite:

If chance is with you, why hurry? If chance is not with you, why hurry?
-Arab proverb

edit on 20-5-2015 by lovizall because: translated from french and full of mistakes

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka

"The better you get, the harder you work" --Albert King.

This made me think of a great quote my father told me (he said he heard it from one of his work friends, so I don't know the original source) - but the story behind it:

A very successful philanthropist and business owner was addressing a boy scouts troop and during the Q & A part of his visit, one of the scouts stated "You are a very lucky man."

The man responded with this: "You know, it's a funny thing I've found out: The harder I work, the luckier I get."

[End anecdote/quote story]

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

Googling everyone's quotes to make they got them exactly right?

Don't need to Google to know those are wrong. It's obvious.

Just enjoy the fun!!!

I'm a writer. It's how I make my living.

Seeing people's stuff attributed to others, and seeing dead people get words put in their mouths that they would have never said while they were alive is no fun for me at all.

Producers think differently from consumers, friend.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Snide?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Snide: Adjective

Indirectly derogatory

Synonyms - disparaging, dismissive, contemptuous

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link