It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Christians numbers 'decline sharply', poll finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Five million fewer Americans identify as Christian now compared with 2007

The number of Americans who identify as Christian has fallen nearly eight percentage points in only seven years, according to a new survey. Pew Research Center found that 71% of Americans identified as Christian in 2014 - down from 78% in 2007.
In the same period, Americans identifying as having no religion grew from 16% to 23%.
Fifty-six million Americans do not observe any religion, the second largest community after Evangelicals.
The United States still remains home to more Christians than any other nation, with roughly seven-in-ten continuing to identify with some branch of Christianity.

www.bbc.com...

Poll shows atheism on the rise in the U.S.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

Interesting. There is also this as well:
The Future of World Religions: Population Growth Projections, 2010-2050

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Same ol' song and dance--this has been a trend for a while now. I expect it to continue as the rate of general knowledge and access to researching information continues to grow.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

When memes can't enforce coherence with rules, they die.

In order to successfully program people and assert control, the "higher authority" has to maintain credibility. The US is being exposed as a giant hollow lie.

All the foundational precepts, like religions, crumble in the process as the "higher authorities" turn into devils in plain sight.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
My prediction, based on the European experience, is that this trend would reduce believer/unbeliever friction in the long term.
Once the Christians were no longer dominant in society, the non-Christians would have less reason to feel dominated and resentful, and everybody would be more relaxed about the situation.
Probably increased friction in the short-term though, as Christians try to resist the trend.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I'm one of those people. Now I believe in the Force. More believable than an invisible man in the sky.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Interesting. There is also this as well:
The Future of World Religions: Population Growth Projections, 2010-2050

That's damn scary. I don't know if I wanted to know that. Too late now though...

It seems like we're going backward as a species, instead of forward sometimes.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

When memes can't enforce coherence with rules, they die.

In order to successfully program people and assert control, the "higher authority" has to maintain credibility. The US is being exposed as a giant hollow lie.

All the foundational precepts, like religions, crumble in the process as the "higher authorities" turn into devils in plain sight.

The Supreme Meme, if it needs to enforce rules, become religion.
Religion then becomes a False Authority, which people reject
as they learn to value autonomy and responsibility.

The problem is we share a collective insanity that pervades
human cultures throughout the world: An irrational and
unproductive obsession with what other people think of us.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I think the reason that atheism is set to go down among the shares worldwide is because atheists and agnostics aren't as prone to have as many children. Keep in mind that the poorer you are and the more fundamentalist you are, the more likely you are to have tons of children. The 3rd world has us beat in both categories in that regard. Though the article does note that atheism is still set to increase globally, it just isn't set to rise at a pace that outstrips the birth rate.
edit on 18-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Interesting, I would think as the populace is dumbing down, they would be more likely to be taken in by Christian sects and extreme fear based denominations. Or perhaps a 10% tithe might be a little stiff to be a member in good standing.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Interesting, I would think as the populace is dumbing down, they would be more likely to be taken in by Christian sects and extreme fear based denominations. Or perhaps a 10% tithe might be a little stiff to be a member in good standing.

Perhaps because the population is dumbing down, there is no need to follow any faith when government has replaced church as being the "supreme" voice in all things ethical, moral, spiritual.

But what do I know.

I'm just one of those idiot "believers".

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I also saw numbers somewhere where the children of atheists were also some of the least likely to continue in their parents' belief system. Hindus, I think, had the strongest rate of retention from parent to child.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I also saw numbers somewhere where the children of atheists were also some of the least likely to continue in their parents' belief system. Hindus, I think, had the strongest rate of retention from parent to child.

I read that as well. There's a thread somewhere on ATS about it. Seems reasonable on the surface. The vast majority of people in America claim Christian beliefs. So children of atheists would have less exposure to atheism outside the home, and much more exposure to one of the many sects of Christianity. And yes, I think it was Hinduism that had the highest rate of retention.
edit on 5/18/2015 by Klassified because: correction

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I wonder how that correlates with immigration rates. There has been a lot of talk online about large numbers of Muslim immigrants, which could effect such a thing, depending on who is polled.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Same ol' song and dance--this has been a trend for a while now. I expect it to continue as the rate of general knowledge and access to researching information continues to grow.

And our continual reach into the Cosmos will only ensure, if all goes as planned, CONTACT! That should turn some heads...if it's the real thing of course.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
It happens eventually I suppose, I mean how many other people think Zeus, Apollo and other ancient gods may still be around somewhere compared to long ago?

So long as those that lose their religious titles remain as decent human beings they can worship toast for all I care. Then many wouldn't care if they shoved it down their throats, as the saying goes often used in these sorts of threads.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Wow isnt that great news, we can expect the US will grow stronger as it has done over the past few years now there are less Christians.

Isnt that how it has been working.

no

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Wow isnt that great news, we can expect the US will grow stronger as it has done over the past few years now there are less Christians.

Isnt that how it has been working.

no

And you know this because you're in Western Australia?

edit on 5/19/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Well with omnipresent media exposing religious craziness and the right wing getting more and more extreme it's not surprising that more people will stop following religion.

new topics

top topics

join