It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court Rules in favour of Gun owener ship for Former Felon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
www.theblaze.com... ntent=supreme-court-makes-major-gun-ruling

It seems that a unanimous decision by the SCOTUS is in favor of former felon. It is about time some common sense was applied to former felons, and gun ownership.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

Well shouldn't even current felons or anyone on parole/probation have their right?

Shall not be infringed can't be interpreted any other way right?

Misleading title imo, this is about the sale of the guns not his right to posses them.
edit on thMon, 18 May 2015 12:36:33 -0500America/Chicago520153380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Agree and disagree. Agree that unless someone is found to be a serial killer, and convicted of that kind of thing, that he should actually not even have to sell his weapons.

But if its organized crime can understand some mechanism for removing the arsenal.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Well shouldn't even current felons or anyone on parole/probation have their right?

No, the Supreme Court has ruled that you do indeed give up certain rights while serving your sentence.

edit on 18-5-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's fine, just seems like that is infringement.

That is why I asked.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

That is why I asked.

No worries. All Constitutional rights are conditional on not being convicted of a felony. But I feel once your debt has been paid you should be able to reacquire them.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

That is why I asked.

No worries. All Constitutional rights are conditional on not being convicted of a felony. But I feel once your debt has been paid you should be able to reacquire them.

I agree, once someone serves their time and completes their probation they should be back in full.

Instead it haunts you for life.

And they hand out felonies like candy now days.

Hell just about anything can get you a felony these days.

Once felonies were only given out for serious crimes.

Now, you can get a felony for possessing a plant that is perfectly legal in several states.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick
Now, you can get a felony for possessing a plant that is perfectly legal in several states.

Japanese honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica)?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Yuppers, you lose rights while going through the system.

When I got my second DUI (damn near 20 years ago) I wasn't allowed to have any firearms or booze in my house for the two years I was on probation. I was floored when my PO told me.

He said if I can't be trusted to drive sober, I can't be trusted to have firearms. I thought it was one hell of a reach to say the least!

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Maybe I am reading the wrong story, but the one linked in the OP does not say the felon can have his guns. It says he may SELL his guns to someone else if convicted. As long as the court is convinced that person will not allow access or control by the felon.

Or did I miss something?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This doesn't give the convict the right to own guns. If people would read the article it clearly says he has the right to sell his guns.

A unanimous Supreme Court ruled Monday that the government can’t prevent a convicted felon who is barred from possessing firearms from trying to sell his guns after they are confiscated by authorities.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus I agree with your thoughts completely. There is no need to hold old crimes over someone head. Now if someone turns back to a criminal way of life, then yes they should be restricted from being able to purchase guns legally.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Yuppers, you lose rights while going through the system.

When I got my second DUI (damn near 20 years ago) I wasn't allowed to have any firearms or booze in my house for the two years I was on probation. I was floored when my PO told me.

He said if I can't be trusted to drive sober, I can't be trusted to have firearms. I thought it was one hell of a reach to say the least!

One hell of a reach? You had your second DUI for being behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, a large piece of metal that can cause death to a child or family. You couldn't even have the decency to NOT drive while intoxicated and you think it was unfair for them to ban you having guns while on two years of probation??

SNIP
edit on 5/18/2015 by Blaine91555 because: Removed overly emmotional portion of the reply.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectbane

YOU def should not be allowed guns at any time because you cant be trusted. YOU deserved a life ban for being that dumb.

Right. Because someone who foolishly drank and drove should have their Constitutional rights removed.

Any other civil liberties you want to remove from people who have made mistakes?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

Wow, what's the weather like up there?

The man made a mistake and I'm sure paid his dues for it.
Your stance is a little harsh.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
DUI's are kinda a tough topic to apply logic to. A lot of people don't see it as too terrible because it's always gone well in there case but then you have the ones who know just how bad a DUI can end up.

Lotta shades of grey in the DUI discussion

And any and all rights can be suspended depending on just how big of an asshat you have been. Tho I'm all for some way of earning your rights to firearms back, idk how you could do it, but it's really stupid in a lot of cases to take them for life. Especially non violent victimless cases.

top topics

join