It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just got mork but i might have to finally get my presa as well

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
i have wanted one of these dogs for as long as i can remember.
they are big ole family dog cuddle muffins but they look like they were made by the devil himself.

the great thing about the presa is they are bred to be family dogs/protectors but they have that intimidation factor.
you know if you walk up to a house and see this dude standing in the door you are going to walk right away.

if i get one i am either going to call him atilla or the monster.

i found a breeder that has a few males available but im not sure about having him shipped from wisconsin. there is another breeder in georgia with a litter to be ready soon. i was thinking about driving to pick him up.

www.dogbreedinfo.com...

The Presa is a docile, affectionate dog. They are great family protectors and are bred to be family companions as well as guardians. They are distrustful of strangers, but should accept strangers if the owner accepts them. They should be very alert and ready to defend the owner or property if necessary. It is generally a quiet breed but has a very intimidating bark. This breed requires an owner who understands the alpha nature of canines. No member of the family can be uncomfortable around the dog. Canaries make outstanding guard dogs. Just their appearance is a deterrent, not to mention their ability to confront any intruder

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I wouldn't mess with that dog!
Look at the muscles on that dog! LOL

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
I wouldn't mess with that dog!
Look at the muscles on that dog! LOL

I second that! Looks like he could gobble your arm off for a snack. LOL

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Looks like a big "ol sweetie!!!! I swear, it's having the ears done or not done that make them look scary, or goofy. I prefer the ears undone.

Just be careful with breeders. Do extensive digging, and ask for references. And sometimes that doesn't even help.

Trust me.
You don't want the heartache of losing your Mastiff at 15 months. or 3 of them in 3 years, from two different breeders.

But I would have another mastiff in a heartbeat. The biggest fault I had with any of them? A lap dog that weighs more than you can be a bit, uncomfortable. LOL

RIP Chief, Bear and Loki.

Good luck if you decided to get one. Post lots of pictures.
edit on 15-5-2015 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

It looks like a mix between a pit bull and an English mastiff. I know somebody that has an English mastiff and the dog in your pic looks something like him.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
You have finally found my second in command.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Good Lord, you aren't going to clip the dogs ears are you??????????

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Good Lord, you aren't going to clip the dogs ears are you??????????

i wouldnt.
the breeder in wisconsin says they come docked. i would request that my pup does not get docked and if they wont allow it then i wouldnt do it

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I highly advise against getting a powerful dog like that, especially when you just got a small dog. Presas aren't dog-friendly (or cat or child friendly). They have a lot of health issues, are territorial and need a lot of socialization and leadership.

originally posted by: Mugly
This breed requires an owner who understands the alpha nature of canines. No member of the family can be uncomfortable around the dog.

I hope you've done your homework and understand the responsibilities that comes with owning such a strong breed. I don't know if you've had dogs before, but I've raised two GSDs and I would not take on a Presa... That is a lot of powerful and possibly aggressive dog. You would have to devote a lot of time and energy into making sure this dog would not take over the house and possibly become aggressive.

I don't mean to be a drag, but...

The Presa Canario is not an appropriate choice for an inexperienced dog owner. First-time dog owners and people who have had only “soft” breeds such as retrievers, spaniels, or toy breeds need not apply. In the wrong hands, the Presa (like any dog) is dangerous. Two Presas killed a woman in San Francisco in 2006 because their owner hadn’t trained them and was unable to control them. If you don’t want that kind of responsibility at your end of the leash, don’t get a Presa.

This dog is large, powerful, intelligent, and headstrong. The breed standard says he should be calm, attentive and self-confident, obedient, and docile with family members and suspicious of strangers. But dogs don’t come ready-made with those qualities. A Presa Canario needs a leader who can develop and manage those characteristics by guiding the dog with firmness and consistency and without using force or cruelty.

Unless you have a breeder you trust, that is breeding for temperament, I wouldn't do it.

Source

And just a little more...

Run, don’t walk, from any breeder who does not offer a health guarantee on puppies.
orthopedic problems such as hip and elbow dysplasia, osteochondritis dissecans and panosteitis; eye problems such as entropion; autoimmune thyroiditis and demodectic mange; epilepsy; and cryptorchidism (a single testicle or a testicle retained inside the body). The breed may also be prone to gastric torsion, also known as bloat, and anterior cruciate ligament tears.

Ask the breeder to show evidence that a puppy’s parents have OFA or PennHIP clearances for hip dysplasia, plus OFA elbow clearances. Do not purchase a puppy from a breeder who cannot provide you with written documentation that the parents were cleared of health problems that affect the breed. Having the dogs "vet checked" is not a substitute for genetic health testing.

Source (That looks like a good breeder, by the way...)
edit on 5/15/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join