It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME magazine: The Great Pot Experiment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Either legalize pot or at least make alcohol and tobacco illegal already. But make up your mind. The latter two kill more people than an H bomb annually.

but those other vices pay a lot of money to keep in business and the DoJ likes keeping themselves in business incarcerating innocent pot heads for 30 years while giving child molesters a slap on the wrist. our systems are f'd up to eleven.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: bottleslingguy

"Innocent" potheads implies that no laws were broken. We know that not to be true. Now whether those laws are innapropriate is another discussion.

But yes my comparison is important to show the relationship to the hazards. Alcohol and tobacco have horrible casualties that only get placed onto peoples poor life choices. Whereas the cannabis issue seems to draw the crowd that wishes to protect their children and community members from being able to make those same poor life issues on their own for fear of the genetic harm and such that future generations may burdon.

And yet nobody blames the product for the numbered children born with fetal alcohol syndrome.

The laws are skewed. And yes, all laws are revenue generators.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I wish the UK would catch up with the times.

Unfortunately our battle axe of a home Secretary has a thing against pot. To be fair she could use some.
edit on 16-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This study seems...dumb...

So rats were given the option of having heroin or a placebo shot into them. The rats exposed to THC went for the heroin more than the other rats. How utterly meaningless...rats have no context to put heroin into...option 1 felt amazing when they got it, option 2 felt like nothing...the rats exposed to THC were more motivated to choose the option that made them feel amazing...don't believe any sinister conclusions can be drawn from that whatsoever.
edit on 16-5-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
a reply to: bottleslingguy

"Innocent" potheads implies that no laws were broken. We know that not to be true.

Yea, calling potheads innocent is almost as crazy as calling the Jews of nazi Germany innocent...the law is the law, after all.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980
Just my dos centavos, but I think its really important that pot be legalized throughout the US. There are a variety of compelling reasons to legalize pot and why its most important to do in the US. I see lots of progress on this. Even in backwards states like Texas, they are discussing it in the Legislature.

As far as the study is concerned, I'd suggest that the types of attitudes you pass on to your children poisons them far more than chemicals ingested in your kick-butt youth days. Racism, homophobia, materialism, climate change denial, xenophobia, nationalism, patriotism, and weird religious beliefs etc. do far more damage to your kids and your so-called nation than do the drugs you take.

A stoned nation is a happy, compliant, tolerant and peaceful nation.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is like saying:

We gave them two options: one with a female rat to have sex with. The other with a bible. The rats exposed to THC repeatedly chose sex over the bible. Therefore, we can conclude weed makes you a satanist.

Nonsense...placing our social constructs onto rats, and assuming something sinister when rat behavior doesn't coincide with our viewpoints and prejudices.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
What do they think the rats are gonna think? 'Oh jeez, if I keep up this behavior I'm gonna be a junkie in no time.' No, they're thinking 'my god, doing this makes me feel incredible...I'm gonna keep doing this...'

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

We gave them two options: one with a female rat to have sex with. The other with a bible. The rats exposed to THC repeatedly chose sex over the bible. Therefore, we can conclude weed makes you a satanist.

This made me laugh. The study seems to have used Alice in Wonderland logic to draw it's conclusion and you nailed it with that little tidbit.

We still have a long way to go, especially in the Bible belt, to end prohibition but we are making progress. The general consensus on the internet is telling. Public opinion even appears to be drowning out the efforts of the shills and anti-pot trolls to continue to demonize the plant.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I've got to say that pot is one of those issues where you actually see deep consensus between the left and right. Very encouraging ..

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Guidance.Is.Internal

Yes and I agree.

Only when the discussion is infiltrated and diverted with ignorance or politics, intentional or otherwise, does a reasonable conversation divert into an argument of postures. It is these postures that pollute reasoning and logic on a subject that is in fact deserving of it's place and voice on a public podium.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join