It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Iranian boats fire on Singapore flag vessel.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Tensions are still heating up in the Persian gulf. I do not know the Iranian motivations behind this incident. But the tensions in that area seems to be escalating rather quickly. I would offer a opinion. But it seems every time I do I inflame someone. So I chose to just bring it to everyone's attention and will see what develops.

Five Iranian boats fired shots across the bow of a Singapore flagged cargo vessel in the Persian Gulf on Thursday in an attempt to potentially stop the ship, a U.S. official told CNN. For the first time, the incident brought another Persian Gulf nation into the recent rising maritime tensions in the region. It is not yet clear if any of the rounds hit the Alpine Eternity. There were no U.S. citizens or cargo on board. The Pentagon is still gathering information about the incident.

Several shots hit the cargo ship, but did not disable it. The ship went into UAE waters and the Iranians followed it into those territorial waters, continuing to fire, before breaking off.

source

edit on 14-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
this was released earlier...bout time a thread showed up...the peaceful fun loving and perfect Persians.....

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
I do not know the Iranian motivations behind this incident.

They are claiming another maritime dispute:
viaReuters

Iranian naval vessels fired shots at a Singapore-flagged tanker in the Gulf on Thursday in what appeared to be the country's latest attempt to settle a legal dispute by force with a passing commercial vessel, U.S. officials said.
One U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Iran had attempted to intercept the vessel in international waters because Tehran says it is liable for damage to an Iranian-owned oil platform it hit on March 22.
"The pattern looks like the Revolutionary Guards are using a commercial pretext to intervene in the incidents to date," said a leading shipping underwriter. "This could start to impact upon (insurance) rates."

And I would agree with the above assessment 100%. Mearsk Tigris I could understand, the U.S.flagged Maersk ship before that, I could understand in context of Tigris as they were looking to stake their claim but would not do so against a U.S. flagged vessel for obvious political reasons.

Considering 5 boats were used and IRGCN, they would be Houdong WPTG's which typically patrol that area.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
A nation emboldened by their ability to put one past our current weak administration (and the world) and apparently no one to call em out on it

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
CNN says cargo ship and Aljazeera say it was a oil tanker . www.aljazeera.com...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Thank you for that update. I'm curious I don't recall any incidents where other countries used military force to settle legal disputes. Can anyone else supply similar incidents?

I remember the last time turmoil happen in the Persian Gulf. It started off with boats shooting RPG's at oil tankers and ended with a civilian airliner being shot out of the sky.

I would just hate to see a repeat of that.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
They had every right, and were in the right on M/V Maersk Tigris. They might even be so on M/V Alpine Eternity, but to take such actions, in the manner they have, does signal a pattern to use maritime claims as an excuse to cause a little mischief.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I'm curious I don't recall any incidents where other countries used military force to settle legal disputes. Can anyone else supply similar incidents?

I would have to search to find an example, something we all can do just as easily. However, the method used to secure a claim at sea largely depends on the country seeking to make the claim. Maritime and International law largely dictates what and what not claims can be made and sets out few procedures, mainly that a court must issue an order to do so, the method in large part is up to the host country.

Iran chooses to use the IRGCN/IRIN and firing warning shots is legit if deemed a threat or communication for following orders are ignored if that vessel is within said countries TTW. Is it the best approach or one most would use, no, but it is allowed, just frowned upon in this way.

In the U.S., the U.S. Marshall’s are responsible for arresting ships to take a claim, our Navy is not involved in the process.
edit on 5/14/2015 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Just concerned that these situations will continue to escalate over a period of time until......who knows? Seems like a lot of countries are having issues both internally and with other countries and groups externally .A lot of provocation goin on in the world today.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

In the many incidents being highlighted by the media I really don't know who was in the right or wrong. However what I do know is that the increasing media attention on Iran signals an impending war. This has happened many times such as in Iraq. It seems as though the media is being instructed to paint Iran in a poor light to the world. When the war effort starts everyone will see Iran as the evil which needs to be wiped out.....here come the cavalry.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I'm a little light on international law. Are the countries that Iran has litigation against even allowed to reimburse Iran with the current sanctions?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
Yeah, I understand, especially with this latest incident. Before this I would be telling my Captain and Admiral what I have said on these threads and that there is no need for increased concern, track and report yes, but only be concerned if said actions continue.

Well, today, I would tell my Captain and Admiral that we may be seeing a pattern and might want to think about stationing our DDG in the Gulf of Oman or Southern Arabian/Persian Gulf.

edit on 5/14/2015 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse
I have no clue, I would like to say I do not see why not, but could not tell you either way. I am not well versed in law either, just know certain things due to what I did in the Navy.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Thank you for that update. I'm curious I don't recall any incidents where other countries used military force to settle legal disputes. Can anyone else supply similar incidents?

I remember the last time turmoil happen in the Persian Gulf. It started off with boats shooting RPG's at oil tankers and ended with a civilian airliner being shot out of the sky.

I would just hate to see a repeat of that.

There is some debate to the aircraft that was shot down. Apparently its transponder was squawking F-14 And they couldnt raise the pilots. When they went to recover the bodies alot were already rotting and smelled dead as in few days dead. Some say it was just a way for the iranians to get some space and to shame the US navy.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I am waiting to see one of those ships return fire and take out those thugs from Iran. It will not be long before some of the onboard security people will do what they are paided to do. Protect the ship they are on. When that happens there will be a lot of arguments about who shot who, and other BS. I suspect that Iran is trying to escalate the "war" in that area of the Gulf.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Then by all means you should broaden your view. Search English version newspapers from Qatar, United Arab Emirates and so forth. Many people would be shocked that their opinions are so wrong about events in the Persian Gulf.

Here's an article from a country in the Gulf and it's opinion of Iran. The leaders of the united Arab emirates, want security guarantees and protection. It sounds like they're scared to me but I'm sure people 5,000 miles away have a much better idea of what is going on than Iran's neighbors.

United Arab emirates

edit on 14-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: teslahowitzer
this was released earlier...bout time a thread showed up...the peaceful fun loving and perfect Persians.....
thats just a racist comment . what does politics have to do with being a persian ? i am not a persian myself , i'm an Iranian kurd . but seriously dude , i think you have a serious problem . actually only 50% of the population are persians and the leader is not a persian but azeri . so you see , you should put down your race goggles bud .

Iranian navy fired on the boat but failed to intercept it ? talk about incompetence .

we should close our navy all-together for the dum dums that they are . en.wikipedia.org...

what does this incidence have to do with you guys anyways ? singapoor is our friend and is a muslim nation last time i checked . unless you're the police of the world , they have tongues themselves and if they feel like we're bullying them and this action was carried out without any legal reasoning behind it , they can speak for themselves .

this concerns you in zero ways .

edit on 15-5-2015 by haman10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: haman10

Not if its a pattern of behavior...

What Iran is doing can be found off the Somali coast with the pirates there attacking shipping. Part of me wonders if these actions by Iran aren't aimed at other parties and also if it has anything to do with Yemen.

Which by the way Yemen is absolutely none of Irans business.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The cargo ship's master did call coalition warships in the vicinity on the radio including U.S. Navy warships to ask for help when the incident began. A P-3 from a country in the region was sent overhead and the Navy began moving, but the incident was over before it could get there.
edition.cnn.com...

1. Under SOLAS any vessel in the vicinity is required to render assistance to any vessel in distress, however the vessel did not activate their GMDSS - a fundamental reaction by EVERY CAPTAIN in real situations, unless you are running weapons and don't want to be caught with your pants down.
2. In the persian gulf, specifically in the strait of Hormuz, there is a significant US Naval presence.
3. Research "persian gulf, pattern of behaviour, ships", you will be surprised what you find (I would hope you are actually not surprised but running weapons will show up in your research)

"incident over" and "nuclear deal set for June"

US Navy "monitoring"

Patterns indeed............propaganda, expect it to ramp up, as I called it in the last thread.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: haman10

Not if its a pattern of behavior...

What Iran is doing can be found off the Somali coast with the pirates there attacking shipping. Part of me wonders if these actions by Iran aren't aimed at other parties and also if it has anything to do with Yemen.

Which by the way Yemen is absolutely none of Irans business.

Funny you should mention Somalian pirates, the same Iranian navy has saved numerous western (that includes American) vessels from getting busted badly in gulf of aden and before it.

You mentioned Yemen which was so off topic. But i gotta tell you : if US is allowed to meddle, if saudia is allowed to bomb, be sure we'll do what we gotta do to ensure our interests are doing fine.

So no. They are our business.

Singapore can talk too. They don't need you to protect their rights in cyber space

top topics

<<   2 >>

join