It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just as Stephen Hawking warned? Here comes 'the world's angriest robot'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I just read a thread by Wasaka about how Elon Musk fears that humanity will be destroyed by a robot army. It was an interesting read. If you want to read it look here: www.abovetopsecret.com...
Anyway, it made me think of an article that I read earlier today. There's a New Zealand company called Touchpoint Group that has developed an angry robot. Why, you might ask? It's to help organizations deal with angry customers.
This raises some interesting (to me) questions. What if somebody else uses this technology and things go awry. Can you imagine angry robots rampaging through the streets? How about angry robots that have armaments? Even scarier, huh? How about a self aware angry robot with armaments that wants nothing more than to kill, kill, kill?
Maybe I'm being silly. Maybe I've watched too many movies (Terminator). Or maybe, just maybe, it's a bad idea all around to be messing with this.
Read the article and let me know what you think. Here is it: Angry Robots

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

All I can say is, if angry robots end up rampaging through the streets,I'm gonna go up on top of a building and write a story about it. I think I'll call it,.....Machine! Lol

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

As I was reading your thread my imagination started thinking about encountering all sorts of angry robots...and people running and screaming in the streets.

If angry robots get into the wrong hands...harm could come from them. I don't think they are a good idea.

Of course I am sure there will be many that will disagree with me on this...so be it.

I am just wondering in 5, 10, 15 years from now (we the people) may be out shopping doing all sorts of errands and encounter robots in many stores...I wonder if in the future seeing robots around will be normal.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Robotics are such an exciting realm of technology to me. I'm saddened to know I won't be around in 100 years when they are likely more prevalent and advanced.

I have to say it:

I, for one, welcome our new robotic overlords

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Fuel consumption is a big factor, so just hide until they run out of energy, and hope the robot didn't learn how to refuel itself.

edit on 13-5-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

First Angry Birds, and now this... How can I take this all ... ?
edit on 13-5-2015 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Emp weapons are looking better all the time.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Who in their right mind thought this was a good idea?

Is there a shortage of angry customers out there?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

If encountering them daily does become normal I wonder how many humans will be pushed out of jobs. That is assuming that they don't want us dead.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

True, fuel would be a problem for them. Just hope that they're not solar powered.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: caladonea

If encountering them daily does become normal I wonder how many humans will be pushed out of jobs. That is assuming that they don't want us dead.

Two sad facts:

1.) We will only pay so much at stores for certain things.
2.) People who work at those stores want to be paid an every increasing amount.

I'm sure you can see the collision those two facts are on. There are likely a lot of businesses that are looking at mechanizing where they can to try to harmonize those two facts.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

First Angry Birds, and now this... How can I take this all ... ?

It's enough to drive a person mad. Pun not intended, or was it?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Emp weapons are looking better all the time.

Now, there's an idea.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I would say it is still preferable than talking to someone in India.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Somebody with more money than sense, probably.
You would think that there would be plenty of angry customers.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I would say it is still preferable than talking to someone in India.

Who? The angry robot customer service rep?

I can imagine that. I'd like the angry robot who is programmed to respond to me like Samuel L. Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction - minus the gun.
Then, when I get ticked enough to threaten to quit, I want to switch to the one who apologizes profusely and gives me a discount on my next whatever of service, lowering my bill.

link   

originally posted by: caladonea
I am just wondering in 5, 10, 15 years from now (we the people) may be out shopping doing all sorts of errands and encounter robots in many stores...I wonder if in the future seeing robots around will be normal.

I think it will be about as remarkable as seeing a atm machine is today.
Robots are tools, nothing more.

Now, combine a robot with free learning artificial intelligence..then you have something new...but I dont see that happening anytime soon. Sure, in 25 years, a wildly convincing "service" bot may be all the rave, but that will just be complex programming, not actual learning or anything resembling life outside of smoke/mirrors

link   

"Touchpoint is working with a bank so that its machines can better understand why customers get angry."

Does it really take inventing the "angry (birds) robot"
just to tell banks why they have angry customers?

This is beyond silly.

It is, of course, marginally hilarious that a bank might need a robot to explain that bad or opaque customer service might get humans mad. What is there to understand? Or is this, perhaps, another step for financial organizations to remove, say, employees altogether?

There it is... give customers a taste of their own
medicine and put 'AngryBot' on phone answering
the calls of their angry clients.

edit on 13-5-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The sad thing is once we get some serious AI going some idiot programmer will actually on purpose add malevolent code just to see what would happen. It will be a humans fault when an AI takes over.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Why does it have to be an angry robot and not an angry software with kill code.

Not to mention, why would they need to create a bot for this? i'm sure there's more then enuff angry humans to fill this job position.

But yes, I once saw a prediction from a group of bright minds state that our distant future will either be one filled with an island of super rich gated community with the rest of us outside supporting them and trying to get by or we will be able to see the error of our ways and be truly human towards one another, I have always thought we'd have some sort of human rights war before that would ever take root.

Either way, the future doesn't seem as awesome as it's supposed to be. Seems the more time passes, the more things get scrutinized and ruined from over involvement / arguments.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join