It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harriet Tubman Wins Poll for Woman on $20 Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

With bills it would become a bit difficult to just rotate the images on them. Even now with just the recent changes we have had, cashiers all over are stumped as to the authenticity of the reissues. And God forbid if you run across one that has no idea there is even a two dollar bill.

Coins are the best format for a rotating program, because no one really looks all that closely at them.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: KeliOnyx
With bills it would become a bit difficult to just rotate the images on them.

Not really. They make a new master die every time there is a change of Treasurer or Secretary of the Treasury. So, you already have a rotation point that is far more frequent than overall design changes.

Even now with just the recent changes we have had, cashiers all over are stumped as to the authenticity of the reissues. And God forbid if you run across one that has no idea there is even a two dollar bill.

I can't help you with this. I got the same in Canada...even after months of government advisories...months of image circulation...day one with a new $5...first cashier I run into..."I need to get a manager, this is obviously counterfeit."

Coins are the best format for a rotating program, because no one really looks all that closely at them.

Not a bad idea. I don't know about the US, but we get commemorative coins out almost monthly up here (quarters), so it would be pretty easy to make those the rotational piece.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Well, they're not going to put a woman on $1 bills.
Think about it.
Didn't they try that with the Susan B. Anthony $1 coin? I understand that ended badly.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Not difficult in terms of the physical bills. Was more a reference to the user end in terms of identification and recognition. People don't generally respond well to drastic changes like that.

I was at a cashier once that insisted she needed a manager, and she had the new bill advisory taped right next to her register.
edit on 14-5-2015 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

Who bloody cares whose face is on the tender of bill. If it will spend, then let it spend as always no matter whose face is printed on it. Put the bloody face of Christ on it as long as it spends as any other bill of tender. Doesn't matter.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Yes, they did.

Mostly it was because it didn't work in vending machines... The damned things were very inconvenient. You still see them once in a while though...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Yes, they did.

Mostly it was because it didn't work in vending machines... The damned things were very inconvenient. You still see them once in a while though...

That and they were roughly the size of a quarter, and often confused people. Which is why the Dollar coin is now a gold color.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: KeliOnyx

Yes, they did.

That and they were roughly the size of a quarter, and often confused people. Which is why the Dollar coin is now a gold color.

Well, Tubman was an inspired choice. Here's our new $20 coin...

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
So what did Jackson do to lose his spot?

Had a penis, apparently.

Although, since Harriet Tubman was a gun-toting Republican, she gets my vote.

edit on 14-5-2015 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't see Tubman as an important person. Martin Luther King would be a better choice. If it has to be
a woman, I vote for my Mom.
a reply to: lostbook

edit on -05:00amThu, 14 May 2015 11:11:05 -05003111115 by Parthin because: missing word

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Parthin

In her own way, Harriet Tubman was just as important as Martin Luther King.

She was, in a very real sense, a founder of the civil rights movement. She helped escaped slaves get to freedom, was a spy for the Union during the civil war, and an early Suffragette, along with Susan B. Anthony.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Leaving the currency just the way that it is sounds good to me. ~$heopleNation

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
In a very real sense, everyone's life is important. But her actions had no historical significance. She is played-up in the history books, and there's a movie. Real early black leaders are somewhat forgotten. To me, Tubman is merely a symbolic figure, one who has been picked out of many others who resisted slavery.
a reply to: seagull

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
It is going to cost millions to change from Jackson to Tubman...............but what's millions if not more when you're trillions in debt. Wouldn't the money be better well spent helping out the needy or feeding the poor or building homes for the homeless. I wonder sometimes.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
When does Obama start campaigning to get his noggin on a bill?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
So people have been out of work for years in this wrecked economy and the government is spending money pursuing a new $20 bill design? Surreal.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArnoldNonymous
When does Obama start campaigning to get his noggin on a bill?
he can't, you first have to be dead, hence why the slang for money is called dead presidents.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: thepixelpusher
So people have been out of work for years in this wrecked economy and the government is spending money pursuing a new $20 bill design? Surreal.
its not even official lol

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parthin
In a very real sense, everyone's life is important. But her actions had no historical significance. She is played-up in the history books, and there's a movie. Real early black leaders are somewhat forgotten. To me, Tubman is merely a symbolic figure, one who has been picked out of many others who resisted slavery.
a reply to: seagull

Huh? Maybe not to you, but try asking the descendants of the 300+ people she directly helped free. And the descendants of the people who worked with her and other other versions of the Underground Railroad. Or the people who were inspired by her, Frederick Douglass, and the other abolitionists.

She's a national treasure to me. Far more honorable than the racist, slave-owning, Native American butcher she would be replacing. You know, the guy who had more than 150 slaves while he was the sitting President of the United States.

EDIT: She admitted she & her allies freed more than 1,000 slaves, while some accounts claim she herself freed 300, and others claim she only freed 70-ish. I chose the moderate account because I don't care to debate the differing sources.
edit on 17-5-2015 by enlightenedservant because: added something. problem?

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

a reply to: Parthin

In her own way, Harriet Tubman was just as important as Martin Luther King.

She was, in a very real sense, a founder of the civil rights movement. She helped escaped slaves get to freedom, was a spy for the Union during the civil war, and an early Suffragette, along with Susan B. Anthony.

In all honesty, she & Frederick Douglass were far more important that Dr. MLK, considering the time period & inherent risks. There were numerous bounties out for her arrest, as well as "slave patrols" & "slave catchers" she had to deal with. And she was an escaped slave herself. She would've surely been killed if she was caught, but she kept going back to those plantations to free more people. And that's not counting the people she helped recruit for John Brown's raid.

And remember, after the Fugitive Slave Act was passed, freed slaves weren't safe in the Northern States either. Because now slave patrols were allowed to recapture them & take them back to the plantations. So she started taking the slaves in Canada.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join