It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harriet Tubman Wins Poll for Woman on $20 Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
President Andrrew Jackson is out and abolitionist Harriet Tubman is in as the new face on the twenty dollar bill. In a big push by women's groups, namely the "Women On 20s" group whose goal is to have a female figure to replace Jackson. The runner-up was Eleanor Roosevelt whom Tubman beat by only 7000 votes.

More than 600,000 people voted in the online poll, and Tubman won with over 33% of the vote, beating runner-up Eleanor Roosevelt by 7,000 votes. Tubman was an escaped slave and abolitionist who devoted her life to working as a “conductor” on the Underground Railroad, helping other slaves get to safety. She also served as a spy and scout for the Union Army during the Civil War.

Harriet Tubman is the new face of the $20 bill. What does ATS think?

time.com...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
President Andrrew Jackson is out and abolitionist Harriet Tubman is in as the new face on the twenty dollar bill. In a big push by women's groups, namely the "Women On 20s" group whose goal is to have a female figure to replace Jackson. The runner-up was Eleanor Roosevelt whom Tubman beat by only 7000 votes.

More than 600,000 people voted in the online poll, and Tubman won with over 33% of the vote, beating runner-up Eleanor Roosevelt by 7,000 votes. Tubman was an escaped slave and abolitionist who devoted her life to working as a “conductor” on the Underground Railroad, helping other slaves get to safety. She also served as a spy and scout for the Union Army during the Civil War.

time.com...

Well that's interesting. I believe she will be the first black woman on US currency, the first woman being Martha Washington. Wonder why they replaced Jackson though? How often are people replaced on bills?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

time.com...

Well that's interesting. I believe she will be the first black woman on US currency, the first woman being Martha Washington. Wonder why they replaced Jackson though? How often are people replaced on bills?

I am curious as to why Jackson also. The only conclusion I can come to is that the group is specifically set up to put a woman on the $20.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

time.com...

I am curious as to why Jackson also. The only conclusion I can come to is that the group is specifically set up to put a woman on the $20.

Yeah....that was what I read into it as well.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

“Our paper bills are like pocket monuments to great figures in our history,” Women On 20s Executive Director Susan Ades Stone said in a statement. “Our work won’t be done until we’re holding a Harriet $20 bill in our hands in time for the centennial of women’s suffrage in 2020.”

Probably to coincide with the year.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Huh, I'd missed this totally...

Harriet Tubman? Great choice.

Her legacy.

When you think about how bad your life is, or how bad things are today? Remember that it was worse for a large segment of this countries population. Contrast today with those yesterdays, and you'll quickly realize just how much things have improved.

She's one of my hero's. I don't have many, but she's one of 'em.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

“Our paper bills are like pocket monuments to great figures in our history,” Women On 20s Executive Director Susan Ades Stone said in a statement. “Our work won’t be done until we’re holding a Harriet $20 bill in our hands in time for the centennial of women’s suffrage in 2020.”

Probably to coincide with the year.

Well....that would just make too much sense now wouldn't it. There has to be a conspiracy afoot....

+4 more 
posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The Federal Reserve loves irony. A portrait of a woman known for helping slaves find freedom on a symbol of America's debt slavery.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So what did Jackson do to lose his spot?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well, they're not going to put a woman on $1 bills.

Think about it.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Uhm, I'm the only one that sees the irony with this?

You take a Women who fought and was against slavery to now put her on a piece of paper that enslaves man?

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Ahh you beat me to it.
Immediate thought the same thing when I read the OP.

I can only imagine they will propose Rosa Park next time , but put her on the back side of the bill.
edit on 11531America/ChicagoWed, 13 May 2015 12:11:20 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
*sigh* $20 bills are the most commonly used denomination for buying and selling of drugs. When you see stacks of banded cash, it's usually $20 bills.

Why couldn't they have put her on the $5, $10 or $50? No one buys drugs with $50 bills.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings about Jackson.
He was a genuine war hero in the War of 1812.
He did rout out the bankers (by God!) and ended the 2nd Bank of the United States.
Survived 2 assassination attempts by those same bankers.
But he was also responsible for the removal of the 5 civilized tribes (Cherokee, Creek, Choctaw, Chickasaw and Seminole)
Not to excuse it but he was under enormous political pressure to do so by the Southern states.
His re-election was surely dead had he not done it.

PS - Go ahead and change it.
He wouldn't want his face on any Federal Reserve Notes.
edit on 13-5-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

It's an unofficial contest...these results mean nothing as of yet.

She was one of my top choices from the list, though.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

time.com...

I think if you change paper money frequently enough, you speed up TPTB goal of an end to physical currency and the shift to a fully manipulatible electronic system because businesses will not be able to keep up with real currency vs funny money. The ultimate federal goal is to eliminate cash entirely... the IRS is seizing bank accounts for cash deposits, Chase no longer accepts cash for payment of loans and mortgages, and good luck finding a corporate employer who pays salaries in any manner other than direct deposit.

"That none may buy or sell except he who beareth the mark."

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

He did rout out the bankers (by God!) and ended the 2nd Bank of the United States. Survived 2 assassination attempts by those same bankers.

Could explain why he was ousted.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Who cares....they could put a picture of a cat or Flava Flav on it for all I care....I have a better idea, remove all the presidents from the currency and just put the flag on it...

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

My biggest concern about not using physical currency is what happens if someone presses the wrong button? When it's all numbers in a computer system, I don't have control over it. I can't count it out and stack it and look at it. I have to trust someone else not to mess with it.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Why couldn't they have put her on the $5, $10 or $50? No one buys drugs with $50 bills.

The 1, 2, 5 and 100 are pretty much untouchable. Doesn't leave much to choose from.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join