It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to acquire new Maritime Patrol Aircraft in response to Russian Submarine threat

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

No. They didn't replace it. The modifications of the 737 airframe for MAD would have cost too much and taken too long.

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

So they hamstring the ASW process by taking out what is, since it's been used for decades, a very useful tool for hunting wabbits, I mean submarines...

posted on Jul, 13 2019 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Welcome to the world of Boeing. Look at some of their other projects. Cough 737 Max cough.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 02:22 AM
link   
First one delivered:

www.bbc.com...

The Empire Fight back.....Carriers, F-35, Typhoon, P-8 and the Wedgetail all in the next 10 years.....boom.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: ScepticScot

I'm curious as to what you find pointless about it?

The UK is, like few other nations, entirely dependent upon sea traffic to feed itself, and needs to be able to protect the sea lanes that carry that traffic.

Again, why pointless?

Not so, the UK is fully capable of feeding itself. In fact it is produced more food than it needs and is a big food exporter. The UK only imports food that can't be grown on domestically or is cheaper to import. If for supplies were cut off people would have to change their diet but they wouldn't starve.

posted on Oct, 31 2019 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: ScepticScot

I'm curious as to what you find pointless about it?

The UK is, like few other nations, entirely dependent upon sea traffic to feed itself, and needs to be able to protect the sea lanes that carry that traffic.

Again, why pointless?

Not so, the UK is fully capable of feeding itself. In fact it is produced more food than it needs and is a big food exporter. The UK only imports food that can't be grown on domestically or is cheaper to import. If for supplies were cut off people would have to change their diet but they wouldn't starve.

And if those sea lanes were interrupted by a nefarious actor how long would it take for domestic producers to fill the gap? Apart from the food itself do we ship in any plant and materials to facilitate homegrown produce?

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   
The first UK P-8A is over Maine, enroute to the UK.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You should read some of things people are saying on social media and that how the UK shouldn’t of ditched the Nimrod and that the P-8 was pointless

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

I've read a lot of it. Idiots.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I've read a lot of it. Idiots.

I obviously don’t know as much as you guys but even I can see the P-8 is far more advanced airframe. Although I’ve seen the US Navy P-8s, RIAT website has hinted that the RAF might be making an appearance this year so looking forward to seeing it in RAF colours.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I wonder if they ever thought of plumbing one or two wing stations so that they can carry a Buddy Store? Getting a little tanking capacity out of them could come in handy. I've heard that there may be some drones with MAD capability in the pipeline. Load some sonobuoys and torps on those and things could get interesting.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

At Nellis they let you go in the forward left door, look back at the mission systems, and into the cockpit, and out the forward right door. If you get to do this, it's very important that you remember that on the 737 the forward right door is for catering, and not passengers. When you start out the door, duck. Or you get a very solid thumping sound.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I liked riding in the P-3. Hop into a bunk and wake-up when you get there.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I've heard that from several ASW guys. They said the P-3 wasn't a bad ride and the prop drone put them to sleep.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I liked the C-130's but the P-3's had better accommodations including a coffee pot and a galley.
I only rode a P-3 once. From Jacksonville, FL to Reykjavik Iceland. We went to look at a Soviet sub that had run aground off Northern Norway.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Jeebus that's a long haul on a turboprop.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Jeebus that's a long haul on a turboprop.

Most of those long haul northern ASW trips required a visit to the Azores, or in this case, most likely Gander in Newfoundland.

The US and Canada had a great ASW relationship, especially in the Cold War.

Fuel for the bird, and geedunk for the crew.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Excellent, some more completely pointless military expenditure. How does tracking these submarines actually make us more secure?

You're kidding, right?

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Oooooh I'd love to see a 70 ton Abrams tank loaded into a sub, and unloaded the other end.

Wow.

Talk about missing the point...

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I'm not active military anymore, but I work with them a lot.

Especially Navy.

Our Navy guys say that the UK Navy is badass. Equipment and sailors.

I'm glad we're on the same side.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join