It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low carb vegaterian diet. Any advice how please?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

I figure if flies won't lay maggots in it, it isn't food and I won't eat it.

Margarine is one such item.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Carbs aren't all bad.
The complex carbs are the ones you want to eat.

Just keep in mind that a cup of mixed vegetables is about 100 calories.
in order to eat a 1500 calorie diet of just veggies you'd have to eat 15 cups a day.

so you'll want to eat more than just veggies all long.

there's plenty of places online to look up recipes.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

LOL, thank God I don't have to try to do that!!!

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

I figure if flies won't lay maggots in it, it isn't food and I won't eat it.

Margarine is one such item.

I like that logic.
Makes me cringe at preservatives.

Stuff that won't rot even when wet??
If the little bacteria dudes don't want it.. How can I use it?

a reply to: grey580

LOL, thank God I don't have to try to do that!!!

I thought ALL gorillaz were vegetarians though..

edit on 5-5-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Not the ones in Texas. We are meatatarians.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Here is the conclusion of this study. "Conclusion

The results of this study demonstrated that consumption of CO, as part of a weight-maintenance, low-SFA, and low-cholesterol diet, by men and women with hypercholesterolemia, resulted in significantly larger reductions in total-C, LDL-C, and non–HDL-C compared with EVOO.

Here is the study www.sciencedirect.com...

But this is only one study. I have read more info on it though, knowing the research could have been steered by corn money. But I seemed to find that there was not too much negative stuff with corn oil. It seems like nobody was really challenging it which is strange. Maybe it is because there is some truth to the evidence that corn oil is not really bad for you

I was kind of shocked when I researched corn oil after tasting some fries cooked in it and both my wife and I really liked them. I had to go ask the people who had the fry stand at the Renaissance fair. I thought for sure the stuff was going to be bad for you cause it made the fries taste so good. We use it in our french fryer, we make home cut fries from local potatoes.

Oh I'm sure that the frenchfries are not the best thing to be eating, but they tasted like crap in soybean oil and forget about canola oil, they the fries taste good but there is a sickening smell hanging around for a day with canola oil. Canola oil can be bad for you if heated too hot from what I have learned, turning the oil into something that is said to have some nasty properties. Soy oil shares some goiterogenic properties with the soy from what I read. I never researched peanut oil, I am not so fond of the taste of that.

Now, corn is actually GM and it is hard to find reasonable non GM oil at a reasonable price. But it is oil, so I am thinking it is not as bad as the protein structure.

I won't say corn oil is good or bad for you because I have seen too much bad evidence everywhere on things over the years. Evidence that was designed to show what some interests wanted it to show. Misinterpreted to the max.

But I can say that it sure makes homecut frenchfries taste good. This should be in a cooking forum.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: n00bUK
Low carb veg diet? What are your goals? You know a low carb veg diet, for a working man is pretty extreme - The calorie intake is very low when excluding carbs from a veggie diet.

Unless you're eating every hour I think 2,000 Calories is hard to achieve when avoiding carbs.

It's not for me its for mrsnonspecific who is a lady, needs to loose a little weight but has an office job so wants to eat less heavy carbs and more vegatables, pulses ect.

I am struggling to find enough variation with the lack of animals and carbs.

Ok, so the real issue is weight loss/size loss? Because if so, the simplest thing is to exercise, get adequate vitamins & minerals (preferably from food), drink large amounts of water, decrease calorie intake, and get enough rest. It's the only healthy & reliable way to lose fat & keep it off. Carbs aren't really the problem. Getting adequate fiber & hydration can reduce appetites dramatically, which will help with weight loss. For example, many adult Muay Thai fighters get upwards of 5,000 calories a day, but they're bodies are chiseled machines of war.

Example: If she's normally getting 2100 calories a day (which is easy to do), she just needs to drop to 1400-1700 calories a day, while dramatically increasing her physical activity. This will force her body to burn off its excess fuel without decreasing her metabolism. If we drop our calorie intake too much at once, our bodies think we're in "famine mode". Then our bodies will decrease metabolism, start hoarding any fuel/fat we already have, and then ignite binge cravings to recover its lost fuel.

Usually when people do drastic diet changes to lose weight, they're mostly losing water weight. Oh & those increases in physical activity don't have to be a 1 hour workout. Go speed walking at a park for 30 minutes, go up & down the stairs instead of using elevators, etc. Just add in activities that require the body to move. Even taking up dancing, boxing, or martial arts classes can help a lot (when also decreasing the calorie intake).

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Conclusion

Consumption of CO in a weight-maintenance, low saturated fat and cholesterol diet resulted in more favorable changes in LDL-C and other atherogenic lipids vs EVOO.

We're not talking about a low saturated fat and low cholesterol diet. Almost by definition, a low carb diet is going to be higher in saturated fat. And cholesterol level is only one aspect of health. Corn oil is highly processed with hexane, a by-product of gasoline. Read about it here.

Processed to Death

Most cooking oils go through an insane amount of processing with chemical solvents, steamers, neutralizers, de-waxers, bleach and deodorizers before they end up in the bottle. If you watch this video on the modern canola oil making process, and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

What they don’t tell you in this video is that the “solvent” that is most often used to extract the oil is the neurotoxin hexane – and as you can see it’s literally bathed in it. Hexane is a cheap byproduct from gasoline production, that’s a serious occupational hazard and toxic air pollutant. It’s been shown that some hexane residue can remain in the oil, and the FDA doesn’t require food manufacturers to test for residues. Residue tests done by the Cornucopia Institute in 2009 found hexane residues in soybean oil. So, we very well could be eating this chemical everytime we cook with hexane-extracted oils.

Corn Oil – Have you seen Mazola’s latest marketing campaign touting that corn oil lowers cholesterol better than olive oil? Would it affect your opinion if I told you that Mazola’s parent company (ACH Food Companies) partially funded a study that they base this claim on? It definitely affects my opinion. The truth that they don’t mention in their commercials is that corn oil is highly refined, hexane-extracted from GMO corn, and loaded with omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids that are unstable when exposed to heat. This instability causes oxidation, a process that generates free radicals. Free radicals are renegade molecules in the body that damage cells, triggering a host of diseases from liver damage to cancer. We contacted Mazola and they confirmed that their cooking oils are made from GMOs (corn, soybean, canola) and that they use hexane extraction for all oils, except for their olive oils.

It all depends on how healthy you want to go. I haven't touched corn oil for decades and won't ever.

edit on 5/5/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
As a few others have mentioned beans are a good way to supplement protein in a vegetarian diet. Also they're low in fat and carbs. Maybe look into making your own black bean burgers which is pretty simple. Had an ex that was vegetarian and I made those often. Vegetable soups are a good option... Tons of salads..

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

man...corn oil though?

It really does make for the best Mexican food. Well...at least for softening corn tortillas. Other than that, i use only bacon grease for mexican/southwest food.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

man...corn oil though?

It really does make for the best Mexican food. Well...at least for softening corn tortillas. Other than that, i use only bacon grease for mexican/southwest food.

Havn't looked into this even a tiny bit but I always felt like Saturated... Solid.. fats.. were good for cooking.. It's I guess related to temperatures, and how things already a liquid.. Add heat.. Things might move around too much. Plus butter tends to burn at a lower heat, so I am more into a lower temperature for cooking anyway.. Even though I have a MAD Love of caramelization... Oh Gawd.. A perfectly seared steak...

I havn't ever made fries in oil, or tortillas though.
And I actually didn't even know they made corn oil.

Basically for me I use olive oil or butter, but this thread has me interested in all kinds of organic chemistry and long chain faty acids and just hmmmm... It's a lot to think about.

I also think potatoes are much better than people let on. Any vegetarian who is struggling.. Potatoes... Yes.. And eat the skin too. Yummy.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeachesNCream
As a few others have mentioned beans are a good way to supplement protein in a vegetarian diet. Also they're low in fat and carbs. Maybe look into making your own black bean burgers which is pretty simple. Had an ex that was vegetarian and I made those often. Vegetable soups are a good option... Tons of salads..

We have been on and off veggie for years and even when eating meat usually no more that 2-3 times a week so protien is not the issue, we eat a lot of dairy, lentils beans ect.

It's the combination of no meat, no pasta, no rice, no grains, no breads that is causing it to become a little mundane. I try to make sure that We eat a different meal every day and was looking at 12 months with no repeats so it's more about unusual options than a basic diet I am struggling with!

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I keep Corn Oil on hand to up the scorch temperature of more delicate fats like butter and EVOO. Nothing is worse than scorched EVOO.

I cook with moderate temps, but that is only because the wife won't let me pay for a commercial grade stove. If i want really hot temps, i fire up the gas grill. I can get it about 300 degrees hotter than my stove. But i still can't get it hot enough to make stir fry the way it was meant.

I guess "moderate" is subjective, though. Unless i am slow simmering, i always use the highest temperature. Sometimes the flames dance out from the edge of the pan

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I keep Corn Oil on hand to up the scorch temperature of more delicate fats like butter and EVOO. Nothing is worse than scorched EVOO.

I cook with moderate temps, but that is only because the wife won't let me pay for a commercial grade stove. If i want really hot temps, i fire up the gas grill. I can get it about 300 degrees hotter than my stove. But i still can't get it hot enough to make stir fry the way it was meant.

I guess "moderate" is subjective, though. Unless i am slow simmering, i always use the highest temperature. Sometimes the flames dance out from the edge of the pan

What is evoo please?

Also for intese heat have you tried putting the wok in the oven full temp for half an hour before putting it on the hob? A little risky but for intense quick cooking can give you that extra ooomph.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Evoo = extra virgin olive oil. Try Avocado oil you can heat it up to high temp without scorching.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Also for intese heat have you tried putting the wok in the oven full temp for half an hour before putting it on the hob? A little risky but for intense quick cooking can give you that extra ooomph.

Thanks for asking what EVOO was.. haha..

I avoid intense heat not only because of sometimes fats getting weird at high heat, but also..
My mom always made great stir fry.. And then one day... The entire kitchen glowed with fire.
Grease fires.. Not cool. Luckily no one got seriously hurt.

I can't imagine wanting more heat than a nice Gas stove top.. Maybe I just don't have the cooking skills down.. Lol.

To this day...
Woks still give me a slight scare.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

Thanks for asking what EVOO was.. haha..

I avoid intense heat not only because of sometimes fats getting weird at high heat, but also..
My mom always made great stir fry.. And then one day... The entire kitchen glowed with fire.
Grease fires.. Not cool. Luckily no one got seriously hurt.

I can't imagine wanting more heat than a nice Gas stove top.. Maybe I just don't have the cooking skills down.. Lol.

To this day...
Woks still give me a slight scare.

I thought it was a wierd US thing, did not realise it was an accronym!

I'm happy with intense heat, as an ex proffesional chef I have seen and extinguished enough fires and understand the need for high heat at times.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I'm happy with intense heat, as an ex proffesional chef I have seen and extinguished enough fires and understand the need for high heat at times.

My dad has been head chef and my mom has cooked at a lot of places.. Seeing them react badly to a fire.. That put me off. But obviously this is just me, haha.. The combination of my dad over reacting and my mom not knowing how to act.. The entire kitchen was a fireball.. But luckily it wasn't a LOT of oil. it burned up.. Made the roof black, there is a hole basically in the floor.. When hot oils get super slidey and light... When oil looks like water in the Wok.. Could be bad..

I'm way off topic now. It is something to think about and not let happen...

And I also think stir fry is THE BEST vegetarian way of eating... I guess that's why I am focusing on the Woks and the Oil so much.. I know it's no carbs but if you are including root vegetables, it makes me think rice would be a good solid base even though it's all carbs.. Brown rice especially. Dang I want to make eggrolls now.. OMG.. haha.

Maybe I'll get back over that fear. I used to love fire. A few candle accidents (experiments).. A few kitchen fires.. Hot oils get at my saftey feeling haha..

"I thought it was a weird US thing."

Nope no no.. We are the normal ones remember??

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Why on earth would you give up carbs if you want to get lean? If the goal is to reduce bf levels you need to be eating Dr. McDougall style not the fat/protein rich foods that cause the western obesity and health problems in the first place lol

Eat like a Thai to look like a Thai, clean sugars for long term health and results.
edit on 5-5-2015 by One_Love_One_GOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: One_Love_One_GOD
Why on earth would you give up carbs if you want to get lean? If the goal is to reduce bf levels you need to be eating Dr. McDougall style not the fat/protein rich foods that cause the western obesity and health problems in the first place lol

Eat like a Thai to look like a Thai, clean sugars for long term health and results.

Could you expand on that a little please, She has already lost a lot of weight by cutting out sugar and manufactured foods.

The carb thing is more to do with her feeling bloated after eating a heavy carb meal but also because we feel it suits our lifestle better.

I don't buy into the fat is bad philosophy as I only need to look at my grandparents and there diet and lack of illness and compare that to modern diet and illness to make my mind up.

Any links to fat and protien causing obesity would suprise me as opposed to sugar and basic carbs but am here to learn.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join