It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low carb vegaterian diet. Any advice how please?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
You should be using coconut oil guys.

much healthier.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: SallieSunshine
However, once I went off the diet, as I inevitably seem to do, I gained the weight back.

That has been my experience as well.
Cutting carbs is a wonderful thing.....bu if you give in to the urge and go back to your old carby ways, the weight WILL come back.

Lo carb needs to be a way of life, rather than a diet.
You may end up eating a few more carbs than you did while losing weight....but to go back to full tilt carbing just won't work.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

When i am "doing it right", i do a feast/famine approach.

The body likes having some carbs from time to time. The fiber you get from bread is certainly nice. And if we are being honest, life without some fruit from time to time isn't worth living. Or chocolate (although there is always ganache for the hard up joneser).

So i cycle. Typically its something like 2 week "induction" period where i take in 20g/day or less. Then another 3 weeks or so with 30g/day (this is when I drop the actual weight typically), then a week of utter freedom.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Could you expand on that a little please, She has already lost a lot of weight by cutting out sugar and manufactured foods.

The carb thing is more to do with her feeling bloated after eating a heavy carb meal but also because we feel it suits our lifestle better.

I don't buy into the fat is bad philosophy as I only need to look at my grandparents and there diet and lack of illness and compare that to modern diet and illness to make my mind up.

Any links to fat and protien causing obesity would suprise me as opposed to sugar and basic carbs but am here to learn.

Here are some videos from Dr.McDougall and some others.

Dr Michael Greger

A short article from T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study of which i highly recommend.

dresselstyn.com...

Caldwell B. Esselstyn has some great information out there too.

edit on 7-5-2015 by One_Love_One_GOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: One_Love_One_GOD

Thankyou, I will have a look once we get this pesky UK election thing out of the way

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I agree.
I try to limit certain foods....or even avoid them.
Rice, potatoes, pasta, potato chips and ice cream all trigger pretty bad carb cravings....

Fruits and vegetables don't seem to do that.....even high sugar fruits.

And one day a week I don't count carbs at all.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I agree.
Rice, potatoes, pasta, potato chips and ice cream all trigger pretty bad carb cravings....

How the hell can you guys talk about food at a time like this?

Oh because we live in different nations! Bit of an election going on right now. rock on the low carbs.

It's not looking all that good here anyone got a spare room for the next 5 to 10 years or so

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I agree.

Potatoes are a vegetable, one of the best you can eat in fact, steamed/boiled/baked= tasty, good clean lean food, I've eaten 12kg so far this week and it's only Friday morning. Now i don't eat grains for personal reasons but for the majority of people pasta/rice etc is a perfectly adequate and clean energy source.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Made this last night. There are enough leftovers we are doing it again tonight with some grilled skirt steak/fajita meat:

- 2-3 squash and 2-3 zuchinni sliced and halved. Steam until about half done (i do it in the microwave over about 3 minutes or so)
- while the squash is preparing, in a decent sized, oven proof skillet put in about 2 tbl bacon drippings. Yes...this is a veggie thread...so use coconut oil instead.

- toss in the larger half of a sweet yellow onion sliced thinly, and begin to carmelize.
- once the onions start sweating, toss in a handful of sliced mushrooms. No measurement here...just a handful. However many you think you will want
- let the mushrooms cook and the onions get all sweet and sticky
- remove from heat and stir in some garlic paste (if you don't have it, or know how to make it, just use fresh minced garlic) and a small can of diced green chiles
- Once it has cooled and you can touch the pan, dump in your zukes and squash, and salt/pepper
- mix in 1/2c sour cream and 1c Asadero cheese (or whatever kind you like...colby/cheddar works too, and monterrey jack), then spread a layer of cheese on top
- bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until the cheese on top is bubbly

There you have it: cheesy green chile squash bake.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

, cut off the heads and desperate the stalks, boil the heads drain the water, add milk and butter and mash it. They taste very similar to mashed potatoes.

Next, instead of potato fries, try sweet potatoe fries with maple syrup. Bake the potatoes in the syrup.

Yeah we do do that, as well as polenta chips, I know it is corn, but it feels lighter than wheat on my system. You buy it in blocks then chop it into chip sized strips, coat in semolina, shallow fry then finish off in the oven. They are DELISH!

We do Cauliflower rice now instead of rice, which is awesome if you cook it with a little bit of cardamon as well.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Hi Guys,

Finally have time to contribute.

I am trying to quit sugar... so hard!! It really is the coc aine of the legalised consumables.

I am open to some carbs I think it is more to do with avoiding the modern wheat rather than cutting out carbs all together. So spelt, rye all good in my book.It white refined ones I am trying avoid.

I have a very stationary job, and have already started eating a good breakfast, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, hash browns and the occasional portion of beans, and this keeps me going until i go home. So no need for lunch.

I am still eating potatoes.

I have also stopped eating past 7.

And am trying to get back to the gym where i do swimming, aqua aerobics, and 2 pilates classes a week. Not to mention dog walking everyday.

I get up @ 5-6am everyday. Nonspecific not so much.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
you should go for wild caught salmon or wild caught mackerel, and roast some Brussels sprouts in the oven with salt and olive oil, steam some asparagus, make irish breakfast where you fry eggs with hashbrowns and bacon. look for grass fed beef. you can always rely on fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. try to get organic and be very picky about the quality of meat that you buy.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
dark chocolate with high levels of cacao and almonds are good sources of magnesium, dark chocolate is also a good source of iron, and drink more green tea. tree nuts are always a great choice. you could get some dark red kidney beans and boil them in filtered water, or use black beans. they're loaded with nutrients. get some cauliflower and steam it, then when its soft, mash it up in a big bowl with lots of butter.
at this time of year its good to buy fresh herbs and chop them up fine and just add it to some fresh iced tea or water. I also like to buy strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. you can even make fries out of parsnips. oven roasted Brussels sprouts are amazing though
you can buy some raw, unfrozen shrimp form the supermarket and cook it in sauce made from lemonjuice and butter and mix it with wild rice.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

I know what you mean by the sugar, every time I cheat on low carb, I almost always head for fresh squeezed orange juice first, I can literally down a litre of it without even thinking, it's appalling. The second thing I go for is potato, in any form, but I just love potatoes dauphinoise and shepherds pie, I could eat those dishes every day of the week and I would never get bored.

Low carb is hard, but I think I would die if I went vegetarian low carb. That just sounds hardcore to me!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

So i cycle. Typically its something like 2 week "induction" period where i take in 20g/day or less. Then another 3 weeks or so with 30g/day (this is when I drop the actual weight typically), then a week of utter freedom.

Hey furry, how does that work out for you? regarding getting back on after a week off, and also weight wise, how effective are you finding this?
edit on vpmWednesday58pm531 by valiant because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

Hey furry, how does that work out for you? regarding getting back on after a week off, and also weight wise, how effective are you finding this?

I lost 220lbs doing it. And now use it to maintain a weight that is the best balance (for me) between health and lifestyle. I do it because its easy to execute and gives me full control over my weight. I weigh what I choose to weigh via conscious decision.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

I lost 220lbs doing it. And now use it to maintain a weight that is the best balance (for me) between health and lifestyle. I do it because its easy to execute and gives me full control over my weight. I weigh what I choose to weigh via conscious decision.

Good god that's more than I weigh and I am a man and nearly 5 foot 11?

The proof is in the pudding as they say there or lack of it.

Big respect sir.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Im still in the 300lb range. And i am certainly not thin, obviously. But that number is not what it appears. I am 6'2", and used to be a competitive powerlifter, so i do carry a high amount of weight. When i had a 36" waist I was still 270.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

That is excellent!

I may give that approach a go, the feeling of restriction would be a lot easier to deal with.

220 pounds, honestly I wish I could shake your hand, your mental strength must be incredible!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: valiant

Maybe. Or maybe i just grew happy to eat a lb of bacon for breakfast and have no guilt. LOL.

As long as you like fat rich foods, and can find your zone....

After a week or two you lose your hunger. That is the key to low carb eating. Sugar depletion will cause hunger cravings. Once you deplete all the sugar, there is no more insulin excess to create hunger cravings. When I was being hard about it i would have to remind myself to eat with a phone alarm.

While opening the current business my lifestyle didn't allow me the time to tend to my dietary needs....so i've been playing a bit of catch up the last several months.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join