It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Malaysian Airlines to Phase Out A380

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Per this Aviation Week article, Malaysian Airlines has decided to phase out use of the A380. The airline currently has 6 of the superjumbos, and it is looking to either sell or lease the aircraft to other carriers.

From the article linked to above:

But contrary to Wilhelm’s remarks, the availability of six very young second-hand A380s on the market must be highly unwelcome news for Airbus as it struggles to find new customers for the aircraft. Airbus is already dealing with remarketing six A380s coming from the canceled Skymark order, some of which have already been built.

It will be interesting what impact this has on upcoming orders for and pricing of new-built A380s.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: PhloydPhan

It's got Airbus nervous from what I hear. They're having enough trouble selling new aircraft without cheaper aircraft on the market.

They're also putting up four 777s, and I think four 747Fs for sale to concentrate on regional markets.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I don't like the engineering on airbus birds....must of leaked out....
I have this bias...bad..!!

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
I don't like the engineering on airbus birds....must of leaked out....
I have this bias...bad..!!

Yawn.... another ill informed Airbus bashing. Please tell me that this is all tongue in cheek.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This isn't as new a news story as most may think. I first heard this rumor 6 to 9 months ago from a colleague that was talking with some MAS people. It seems that MAS management fell for the Airbus sales pitch that the 380 would only need a handful of engineers and wouldn't need a quarter of the maintenance it actually does. I believe that they only had a couple of 380 licensed engineers in the entire company which is patently ridiculous. Plus I dont think MAS management really had a handle on how to make best use of the A-380 as a revenue earner. I have a funny feeling my own company will be looking at these aircraft as well as the Skymark whitetails as we urgently need to expand our operation and take pressure off the current fleet that is being flown up to 16 hrs a day. Plus we have one out of action due to damage for a couple of months and every two months you loose one for biannual C checks.

Zaphod, my info says 2 747-400F's (2006 build) and 2 A330F's as well as the 777's. It will be interesting to see what the sale of the 747's and 330's also have on residual values as well as sales of all three of these slow selling airframes.

edit on 3-5-2015 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I know next to nothing so be nice but .. Has Malaysian Airlines suffered a drop in passengers since the two disasters they have had (Ukraine and Indonesia crashes) ?

Perhaps the loss of customers have made them think do they need the A380s, phase them out and save money ?
edit on 3-5-2015 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker
ThePeaceMaker, I think it is more than just that they lost customers although the two 777 tragedies certainly didn't help. MAS certainly did suffer from passenger drop off after both losses. As I understand it though, right from day one MAS has struggled with the A-380 in terms of fleet integration as well as the economics of operating such a complex aircraft. To be fair it hasn't exactly been a cakewalk for the likes of Singapore Airlines or Qantas either. In short their management bought it without fully understanding what they were buying and what was needed to operate it. And so they are willing to let it go, which is a great shame for them and all their people who would have worked so hard to try and make it work.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

Thanks. I knew it was four freighters but was going from memory. The ole memory ain't what it used to be.

They say the memory is the first to go. I can't remember what the second is.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Thank you very much for the reply

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Sounds bad for airbus

www.bloomberg.com...

this isn't good either.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Plus we have one out of action due to damage for a couple of months

Yes heard that was a bit of an Oopsie moment..

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

I have pics I took plus what I saved from the task. My boss was responsible for putting in the suspect jack with the dodgy load cell.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Given that major money making airlines are short haul around Europe and they don't need these super jumbos.

Ryan Air are not buying super jumbos, neither are Norwegian.

They're buying brand spanking NEW short haul fleets. That is where the major money is.

edit on 4-5-2015 by cathouse42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Emirates Will probably take them. They're obsessed with the 380.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: cathouse42
There is (relatively)major money to be made at both ends of the spectrum in long haul and short haul. If there wasn't then you wouldn't be able to catch a long haul flight. So I'm not exactly sure what point you are making.

For the record, it depends on exactly what type of operation you are running and what your target market is, what equipment you operate and what your overheads are. There are plenty of cautionary tales of short haul budget operations that basically dont make any money while full service long haul does. And in some cases they co-exist within the same airline group so a lot of creative accounting gets used to cover up the deficiencies of the so called "budget" operation.

Its simple, create a product that people will pay a premium for, fill most of the seats and you will have a profitable operation, regardless of how big your aircraft are.

LEE.

edit on 4-5-2015 by thebozeian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

No I doubt they will, they wont fit into the current 380 line up and EK are not geared up yet to take T900 powered models. My guess is that it will be a current operator who has experience with Trent powered ones. Unless a new player comes to the fore, but I think that unlikely as the 380 really needs an established airline with experience operating complex heavies. And with only 6 on offer it isn't a critical enough mass to warrant the United's or JAL's of the world for example to jump in and take over.

LEE.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Well share Dammit.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Emirates recently announced they were going over to Rolls Royce for all their A380 power. Dunno if they'd want to begin with second hand ones though

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   
You get that with loaned equipment
Definitely an "oh sh#te" moment but hopefully Airbus will pull their finger out and get a scheme up...Could say give it to the tinbashers but they got rid of all of them..Sigh..

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: waynos
Exactly my point Waynos. It would be small orphan second hand fleet. Although given the aircraft are up for sale or immediate lease I guess EK could dip a toe in the water and wet or dry lease them for a period to get experience quickly.

LEE.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join