It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M 4.2 - 8km S of Galesburg, Michigan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawg61
Galesburg here.No injuries reported.Minor damage.4.2.
Warning to expect minor aftershocks.Wow!

So being so close...what did you feel?
What shook?
Did you hear anything?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
My 2 story apartment building shook noticeable for several seconds.Accompanied by a rather large roaring sound.
Not being a seismically active area,I first thought the building's boiler was exploding or WWIII just started and that was the shockwave.
Just completely caught everyone off guard really.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Depth
5.9 km

That's not too deep. Can this give us a clue about what caused the earthquake?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar
How common are quakes in your area? When was the last one of the same or larger?

The last one in the general area of today's earthquake was back in 1947 as others have pointed out. But, the last one we felt up here was the Mt. Carmel, Illinois Earthquake of 2008, which was a M 5.4.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Now another in Mississippi (only 5 km deep too), I don't know if you caught the one up in Ontario or not, but that is a strange one (a few strange ones today)...

M 3.2 - 6km SW of Canton, Mississippi
Time
2015-05-03 00:39:23 UTC
Depth
5.0 km

the Ontario one:

M 2.7 - 28km ENE of Temiscaming, Canada
Time
2015-05-02 08:34:26 UTC
Depth
18.1 km

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I was about 30 miles south west but running a tractor so I missed it. I think they shut Amtrak down for a bit because I'm next to it and nothing went through for a few hours.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I felt nothing... live 16 miles from detroit. Seriously nothi g
edit on 2-5-2015 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Any fracking going on?

2nd

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ontario & Michigan are both a little unusual for quakes.
Maybe Ice-Sheet rebound?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Reporting in from the Detroit area - I felt nothing, but was woken up by my cat around the time that this supposedly happened (can't say she felt it, because I usually feed her around that time on the weekdays).

I only found out about it because it was exploding on Facebook - And I was even like "wait a sec, we actually had an earthquake here in MI???". I didn't think we were located next to any fault save for the New Madrid one.

While I do find it a bit unusual, I'll wait to see if we get any more from that region.

-fossilera

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I've family in Lake Orion that felt it. Since when is a 4.2 felt that widespread? Someone said they heard a boom right before, is that common?

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
They're saying it took place 4 miles below ground.
?Coincidentally?, there was a quake in the Izo Islands of Japan about 1/2 an hour after the Michigan one.

Also the underwater volcanic eruption near Oregon surely had something to do with it.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Hehe...I moved from MI to the west coast to get some earthquake action. Nary a tremor felt since I moved here, should have stayed back home

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Slept right through it here in Mt. Pleasant.

Some felt it, others didn't. Coincidentally I was reading about seismology and D.U.M.B.s early in the morning before it happened.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: cfnyaami

Any fracking going on?

2nd

Some were talking about fracking in northern Ohio. Haven't really looked into yet considering I am at work still..

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
My daughter and I both felt it. The house swayed. I'm in Saginaw.

My mother called me up and she felt it to, she lives about 40 miles east of me. She was the one who had me get on the internet to verify an earthquake.

Everyone else was out hunting in the woods and communing with nature yesterday. My husband felt it out there, said it made him have to lay down. They didn't hear about the quake till they got back and I told them, though. Hubby thought it was his pall mall at lunch time, despite it being his third or fourth into the pack. Now he's worried he needs to go get a brain scan and check for a tumor cause he "sensed" the earthquake like on the movie 'Phenomenon' - he's worried he had a brain tumor. lol.

This is the third earthquake in Michigan I've felt in my lifetime.

CdT

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Minor update I was on the tractor so I was bouncing around and didn't notice the wife was doing yard work and didn't notice anything and a friend was in the pole barn and heard it creaking but figured it was the sun on it or a big truck. We're about 1/4 mile from the Amtrak mainline for Detroit to Chicago and about 1/2 mile the other way is a main highway. So lots of noise and rumbling going on during the day anyway. Were between Niles and Buchanan probably 30 miles at least from Galesburg.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
There's been 3 earthquakes this month in the LA area, 2 of which happened in the last few or so days.

Last night's was strong enough to jolt me awake while on my couch. Woke up, asked the girlfriend if she felt it, a groggy "yeah" and then back to sleep!

I always find the quake chatter in other parts of the country a bit funny. They're so common here, I sleep through most of them.

Sunday's earthquake was the third temblor within the past month near the Newport-Inglewood fault. A 3.5-magnitude earthquake hit the same area on April 12 and a 3.4-magnitude earthquake was recorded there on April 30.

recent quakes in LA County
edit on 3-5-2015 by yourignoranceisbliss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yeah my sister was reporting on fb she felt it in Chicago as well. Glad it wasn't any larger and nobody got hurt.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I didn't feel it but my roommate Did, he wrote it off and thought it was just from me playing guitar.
\m/

Genessee county.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join