It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M 4.2 - 8km S of Galesburg, Michigan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 2 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I felt it here in Northern Indiana. Didn't last very long, but shook the earth. Very weird location also.

Time
2015-05-02 16:23:07 UTC
Depth
5.9 km

edit on 2-5-2015 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I felt it here in Saginaw twp. It's blowing up on FB at the moment. One friend 70+ miles away in Howelll said she heard a rather large boom "thud" just before the quake.

edit on 5/2/15 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_
Yup. Felt and heard it here in Toledo. Only lasted a couple seconds. Felt like a BIG truck going by. Vibrated the house briefly. First quake ive ever been aware of. Lots of activity just lately eh? Have there been any recent coincidental sun anomalies?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

That's what I thought at first because not too far down the street from me there is some construction of a housing community with large trucks/equipment. So, I just passed it off as one of those large trucks or equipment doing their thing until family members started saying it was an earthquake.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Connection to New Madras? Interesting non the less with all of the wide spread reports of having fel;t it, makes me think that it was bigger than reported.

How common are quakes in your area? When was the last one of the same or larger?

Worth keeping an eye on.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Not that any of this is truly conclusive, it is however interesting to consider battening down the china just in case...

Small 'Foreshock' Rumbles May Precede Big Quakes
s
www.livescience.com...

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Live in Union, MI. Guys here felt it but I was driving. Darn it!!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It's been upgraded to a 4.2, so I changed the title to reflect that.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yup. Woke me up.

We Will Rebuild!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I posted this on the EQ thread, but will post it here as well just for some information on past EQs in the area.

Wow, what a weird place for an earthquake!

I went and looked up some of the history of EQs in the area and came up with this:

Historic Earthquakes Southern Michigan 1947
08 10 02:46:41.3 UTC (local 08/09)

Magnitude 4.60 Intensity VI

Largest Earthquake in Michigan

Damage was heaviest in the area southeast of Kalamazoo at Athens, Bronson, Coldwater, Colon, Matteson Lake, Sherwood, and Union City. Chimneys were damaged, windows and plaster were broken, and brick cornices were downed. Also felt in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Ontario, Canada.

USGS 4.6 in 1947
That was a 4.6

So this will rank up as one of the bigger ones in the state ever recorded.

Here is a map of where the 1947 quake was:

This one looks to be in the same area.

It is now upgraded to a 4.2

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Yeah, we felt it here in Grand Rapids, MI just north of ground zero. I was at work and we noticed a few pictures on the walls moving, then you could feel it. Nothing big though. Girlfriend called me in a panic, you'd have thought our house fell down.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Very weird location, but there was one very close to that spot in 1947...of course, went to find the source....and now i cannot....

HIstory of quakes in Michigan
www.wxyz.com...

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Galesburg here.No injuries reported.Minor damage.4.2.
Warning to expect minor aftershocks.Wow!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
We're really not used to any seismic activity around here so we're just very surprised more than frightened.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It's been 2 hours now and zero aftershocks....

anyone else find a link to aftershocks?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Only warning of possible afters.I saw on local news alert.I took pic but forget how to post imgs here.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnendingVigilance

Yeah, we felt it here in Grand Rapids, MI just north of ground zero. I was at work and we noticed a few pictures on the walls moving, then you could feel it. Nothing big though. Girlfriend called me in a panic, you'd have thought our house fell down.

Huh, didn't feel anything here outside of GR. The only way I heard about it was on the news website hours after the fact, not even word of mouth up here. To say I'm feeling a little left out of the excitement is an understatement, lol.

I have a friend down by Battle Creek, I guess if I didn't get an immediate call or email, it wasn't much.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
From the descriptions this doesn't sound like a normal EQ.

The entire area is still very compacted from the 2 mile thick ice sheet that used to cover it.

The ground is slowly rebounding and this is part of why the levels in the Great Lakes have decreased.

Is it possible it was swomething like a reverse sinkhole?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I was surprised at how far away this thing was felt. It shook my shelves and made my dogs freak completely. It was felt all the way up in Mt. Pleasant. Pretty crazy.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Felt it here in Detroit, but as others have stated I just thougt it was a big truck passing by the house.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join