It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian spacecraft 'hurtling towards Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bullcat
I think I have a better chance of finding the Hope Diamond lying on the street.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

Russia has now postponed the docking of the supply craft, carrying 2.5 tons of supplies, including food and fuel.

Russian spacecraft 'hurtling towards Earth

Is this for real?
perhaps a Russsian disclosure?

Perhaps a Russian disclosure??? My god, you guys are incredible.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Some lucky person is going to get 2.5 tonnes of free Russian space food and science equipment when that rocket lands in their back yard.

I doubt very much there will be anything left by the time the atmosphere is finished with it. 2.5 tons in nothing.

I am not sure about it.
They do de-orbit them, full of trash, after each resupply mission. But that is controlled, and this is less controlled, apparently.

it doesnt matter if its controlled or not..its all going to burn up in the atmosphere. And IF there are any pieces left, chances are they will land in the oceans of the world.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse
Some lucky person is going to get 2.5 tonnes of free Russian space food and science equipment when that rocket lands in their back yard.

I doubt very much there will be anything left by the time the atmosphere is finished with it. 2.5 tons in nothing.

I am not sure about it.
They do de-orbit them, full of trash, after each resupply mission. But that is controlled, and this is less controlled, apparently.

it doesnt matter if its controlled or not..its all going to burn up in the atmosphere. And IF there are any pieces left, chances are they will land in the oceans of the world.

Are you sure about all that?
I have read about problems with de-orbit burns before and that they had caused concern, not only if the spacecraft would burn up, but where it would re-enter. The burn up of the capsule has a great deal to do with the angle and speed of descent.
You are correct about the oceans, they cover 75% of the Earth's surface.
edit on bu302015-04-29T11:12:48-05:0011America/ChicagoWed, 29 Apr 2015 11:12:48 -050011u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Where's the USS Lake Erie when you need her?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Aren't all satellites and orbiting space vehicles "hurtling towards the earth" ?

I always understood that the downwards falling of a satellite was precisely offset by the lateral movement enabling a stable orbit kinda thing.

Gravity is a weird thing isn't it?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Is that Ozzie humour?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

No. The rate of decay for low earth orbit satellites, is small, so far from "hurtling".
Yes.
Yes.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
So i take i am the only one here who has seen Space Cowboys?

Guess we better hope there arent any old russian nukes on it when it hits the atmosphere.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Jim O posted a thread yesterday about it.
Shows a good gif of it spinning once every 5 seconds.
Also it's now out of fuel so could fall anywhere as no way to control it.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Hypothetical scenario:
"Well CNN is reporting that a mushroom cloud is a'poppin up from just west of Vegas,if we can talk to Sheryl in Vegas."
Sheryl-

"Cans of food are landing 20 kilometers from the crater.And these cans are cooked to perfection.Locals are eating the food.
HAng on,something is wrong--mwmwwmaaarrrggghhh,they are eating peopl-------------aaaagggrrrghhhhh"

Well,Sheeeeeeeiiit,this is CNN being taken off the air by++++ zzzt...

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Just passed over Papua New Guinea

If that altitude is correct it must have left apogee and is heading toward perigee

Reached perigee over Vancouver this pass, about 119.2 miles at its lowest altitude.

That should make it easier to calculate the reentry point as an extra credit exercise..

Progress 59 tracking

edit on 29-4-2015 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower
Just passed over Papua New Guinea

If that altitude is correct it must be have left apogee and is heading toward perigee
Progress 59 tracking

Thanks for the link I was just going to ask if anyone knew a website to track it. Apparently it's 119 miles high and just coming onto the western coast of North america

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Satellites do this all the time. I still remember all of the panic about Skylab.

In the end, there was no problem.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

It should take days at least before it comes down. Orbits aren't perfectly circular. It'll climb back up at some point. As time goes on the it'll go lower and lower until it comes back down.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meduzi
a reply to: Jonjonj

No. The rate of decay for low earth orbit satellites, is small, so far from "hurtling".
Yes.
Yes.

Yes, I rather thought though that the whole idea of orbit was a balance between the rate of decay and the lateral movement, can you show me where I am wrong about that because I love this kinda stuff.

Thank you in advance.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Apogee this time around was at 168.74 miles altitude that means about 50 miles between Apogee and perigee in an 89 minute cycle.

Perigee is only down to 118.79 miles.

That should change once 59 dips lower into the Thermosphere and experiences more drag.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
happened to be hurling towards america? lol

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Has anyone seen a list of the cargo that it is carrying?

This is the troubling part, I think. If there are items (such as scientific experiment packages) that contain a lot of metal, they may not tend to burn up, due to the fact that they are inside the ship, and they are made of metal.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TargetedIndividual
happened to be hurling towards america? lol

Such evil thoughts... are ... strangely gratifying.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join