It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Iran Forces Seize US Cargo Ship With 34 People On Board

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

originally posted by: bullcat

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: haman10

Most of us don't want to attack Iran, haman.

Yet you do NOTHING to stop it.

That is what we call PASSIVE support.

um ... I have actually done a lot.

Posting on forums doesn't really count as being effective now does it

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

You need to sort out EEZ (exclusive ECONOMIC zone) from base territorial waters..

Hint, ones 12, ones 200

AAnd that crap doesn't wash with the IMO.

Oh, let me guess - there is NOT 200NM between land masses therefore irrelevant.

Utter BS

I know the difference between the two. This is not an EEZ issue. What would be, is if Iran caught a vessel fishing or conducting other activity of obtaining natural resources in Iran's EEZ ... which the IRGCN is constantly after people for.
edit on 4/28/2015 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

originally posted by: angeldoll

Most of us don't want to attack Iran, haman.

Yet you do NOTHING to stop it.

That is what we call PASSIVE support.

um ... I have actually done a lot.

Posting on forums doesn't really count as being effective now does it

Posting on these forums is not what I was talking about ...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Jesus.... Can we please have cooler heads prevail? This is the last thing we need.... Dear US Govt., please talk to Iran first to see what the hell they were thinking before you go in guns blazing... This is like a powder keg just looking for that one spark.. And folks, we may have just found that spark to kick this off..... sigh

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yet nobody hollared a pip when Israel shot the living daylights out of a ship carrying aid to Gaza.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: haman10
The ship was carrying the flag of marshall islands . they violated our waters by mistake and got apprehended . there is nothing special about this .

They are free as we speak .

Our Navy has very strict rules , even when UK Navy boat mistakenly violated our waters , they were arrested and later freed .

its common practice .

According to maritime maps they were right where they were supossed to be according to CNN and the company who monitors them from space by GPS. The Iranis TOLD THEM to follow them after firing a intimidation shot. Prolly to just inspect its cargo though. They could had just asked instead of firing a warning shot and the capt would had let them do a quick inspection to avoid a delay.

When they heard a US ship was coming they released the ship instead of risking a incident IF what you say about them being freed is correct.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedal
It doesn't make any sense. Why would Iran escalate tensions during negotiations by taking US personnel captive and firing upon their cargo ship, which undoubtedly, if true, escalate tensions and feed the rhetoric the hawks need for a possible kinetic response, as they like to call it.

I think there's more to this story than unprovoked military action. Something stinks....News breaking out of Saudi Arabia during this time, with their actions in Yemen and known history with Iran is speculative and borderline propaganda imo...

So America doing a NATO road tour around Europe is not escalating tensions, but Iran seizing a ship unauthorised in THEIR waters is?

I didn't say anything about NATO, however, to answer your question, yes it would raise tensions with Russia.

Back on topic. If this is true, the narrative can be spun regardless of how the provocation went down, whether or not Iran was in the right or not.

To answer your second question, if the ship was in unauthorized waters, does Iran have the right to fire upon an seize the ship, perhaps.

But, that's the part of the story that doesn't make sense. When Iran makes a statement well have more info.
edit on 28-4-2015 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You should change your title it is no us ship, they just got the closest base and the distress call

Warren said no one has been injured and no Americans are involved. The cargo ship issued a distress call and U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, based in the area. A Maersk spokesman told Fox News that although Maersk, a Danish company based in Copenhagen, owns the vessel, it had “chartered” the ship to Rickmers Ship Management based in Hamburg, Germany. Maersk said it had no information about the crew or the cargo.

Wow Iran found a way to piss off three big nations in one strike! If cargo ships aren't save anymore there will be actions following. How ever it won't help to calm the waters between G8 and Iran.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
Jesus.... Can we please have cooler heads prevail? This is the last thing we need.... Dear US Govt., please talk to Iran first to see what the hell they were thinking before you go in guns blazing... This is like a powder keg just looking for that one spark.. And folks, we may have just found that spark to kick this off..... sigh

Don't worry, it's not even American sailors or an American vessel. It's a non-issue. Even the Fox News article someone linked before says no Americans are involved.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
You should change your title it is no us ship, they just got the closest base and the distress call

Warren said no one has been injured and no Americans are involved. The cargo ship issued a distress call and U.S. Naval Forces Central Command, based in the area. A Maersk spokesman told Fox News that although Maersk, a Danish company based in Copenhagen, owns the vessel, it had “chartered” the ship to Rickmers Ship Management based in Hamburg, Germany. Maersk said it had no information about the crew or the cargo.

Wow Iran found a way to piss off three big nations in one strike! If cargo ships aren't save anymore there will be actions following. How ever it won't help to calm the waters between G8 and Iran.

Technically its a Marshall Islands ship, not Danish ship
No?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

That statement got under my skin it's your antagonistic and race card bull, you know what, let your leadership do some stupid # and see how long Iran exists beyond and American proxy state.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bullcat

Yes, you're right. But MAERS, is Danish. nowadays it is easier to identify them by company than by nation. But who is picky gets picked on, or what was it? Well deserved...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: bullcat

Yes, you're right. But MAERS, is Danish. nowadays it is easier to identify them by company than by nation. But who is picky gets picked on, or what was it? Well deserved...

It's the flag on the ship that matters, otherwise they would be waving the Danish flag on it.

I know exactly who Maersk is.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Yet nobody hollared a pip when Israel shot the living daylights out of a ship carrying aid to Gaza.

YEah and it turns out they were right in doing so since they found weapons on board in the hold if i remember.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

YEah and it turns out they were right in doing so since they found weapons on board in the hold if i remember.

No doubt there is weapons on this one too then, just like the QE2 had American arms for the IRA.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: haman10
The ship was carrying the flag of marshall islands . they violated our waters by mistake and got apprehended . there is nothing special about this .

They are free as we speak .

Our Navy has very strict rules , even when UK Navy boat mistakenly violated our waters , they were arrested and later freed .

its common practice .

When they heard a US ship was coming they released the ship instead of risking a incident IF what you say about them being freed is correct.

This makes sense. The U.S. Destroyer was less than 60 miles from the cargo ship at the time of the incident and set course towards the event.

I'm still not clear as to whether or not the cargo ship actually violated Iranian waters.
Is there a boundary dispute in that area between what is claimed as sovereign or international?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

No doubt there is weapons on this one too then, just like the QE2 had American arms for the IRA.

Obviously not or they would not had RELEASED IT SO QUICKLY. If Iran found weapons on board they would had made a big deal out of it. HAman said they released it already apparently with no further incident.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Maersk, I assure you, gives no "ship" about being Danish.

Profit margin.........Imagine if I told you 95% of their employees are..........

Drum roll..............FILIPINO

edit on 28-4-2015 by Sublimecraft because: yes that is the correct spelling for folks the worlds largest seafaring nation - the Philippines

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Iranian forces boarded a Marshall Islands-flagged cargo ship in the Gulf on Tuesday after patrol boats fired warning shots across its bow and ordered it deeper into Iranian waters, the Pentagon said.

U.S. planes and a destroyer were monitoring the situation after the vessel, the MV Maersk Tigris, made a distress call in the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most important oil shipping channels.

Reuters

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join