It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Iran Forces Seize US Cargo Ship With 34 People On Board

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard

originally posted by: Obsrvr
Obama doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done here. He's too wrapped up in his bull$@&# bomb deal. President Tinyballs will dance diplomacy until the cows come home rather than send a good, strong message to those in the ME that you don't mess with the US.

What a load of old rubbish, neither you nor I know what's going on. If a ship has wandered into Iranian waters and ignored radio as has been alleged, then I believe legally Iran has the right to stop that ship for inspection.

Now grow up and get used to the notion that your ideas of the world are (thankfully) not based in reality. Nobody is 'messing' with you.

Yes Iran has and does board ships they stray into its waters.Because it's the marshall islands be tough to say what nationality the sailors are since cargo ships love flying their flag. It saves them huge amounts of money ita very cheap to get registered through them.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I'm sure Obama will send a strongly worded letter to the Iranians.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Dizrael

Saw that info was listed as 9 minutes old.

Had the flag and position and no us perosonnel. Didn't see this BBC article data here.

Are you a moderator?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Very rarely is there any relationship between the country of ownership and country of registry.

BUT - if you are American (separate from all other countries) you should know about the Jones Act as you guys have done a very good job of securing your coast and protecting the industry from going the way of Detroit did with unions and the car manufacturing industry.

Sorry for being a little off topic but this is YOUR HERITAGE I'm talking about (US membership)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Aren't we always in some fashion?

link   

originally posted by: Britguy
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

....according to Israel.

Truth is they have been attacking Syrian and Hezbollah units to protect the ISIS terrorists who, as is patently obvious, are another manufactured tool doing US and Israeli bidding.

Yes you are probably right. As much as I support Israel and love travelling there, to support this ISIS group is just bad form. Israel is wrong and are indirectly backing the demise of Christianity in its homeland, quite sick. Is this revenge for 2,000 years at the hands of the Christians during the diaspora?

One day ISIS may come back to haunt Israel if Assad falls. Maybe THAT is exactly what Israel wants, total war where it can expand its borders properly and find new Lebensraum

Anyway I'm not going to knock Israel any more as I do like the place.................. But I do see where you are coming from

link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Well considering it didnt stray into their waters and was in international waters at the time makes this a UN issue actually. The Iranians forced them to steam into their waters under armed guard by their armed vessels makes this a hostage taking situation.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Well considering it didnt stray into their waters and was in international waters at the time makes this a UN issue actually. The Iranians forced them to steam into their waters under armed guard by their armed vessels makes this a hostage taking situation.

I'm not doubting you, but where's the evidence?

Where did you read this?

link   
'AlJeezera just had a 'crawler" which read "Iranians board U.S. cargo ship". That's all it said.

link   
a reply to: wills120

I think Obama is going to use his standard response..."I heard about it just like you folks, from the news." And then go golfing.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: IAMTAT

Eh...

That's not good.

Hmm, I doubt any MSM is going to cover this today considering the Baltimore protests.

Interesting...

~Tenth

I'd say you are wrong.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

The shipping lane itself goes through Iranian TTW, and I have seen them approach and make contact with vessels that stray off course. Whether this ship remained on course or off, none of us know for sure without being there or having access to actual AIS data.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Looks like a Danish ship. No Americans on board. Great early Catch Tat!!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Yeah but Iran is really gunning for things at this moment. Have you seen all the crap they are upto on Israel's northern border with Syria and Lebanon the past 48 hours? Things are getting very itchy finger up there.

can you elaborate please? what is going on?

The Iranians via their proxies Syria and Hezbollah (or their are firng over the border into Israel. www.debka.com...

Iran employing Druze to attack IDF
www.debka.com...

Israel airforce bombing Hezbollah on the 25th missile sites and convoys www.debka.com... allah-secret-airstrip-possible-target-

Also this was interesting back in January.

January near the border town of Quneitra, when an Israeli helicopter killed a general in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard and six Hezbollah fighters.

Yes it was. Also in January two Israeli soldiers killed by Hezbollah on the Israeli border where it meets Syria and Lebanon. www.aljazeera.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: mr-lizard

I'm not doubting you, but where's the evidence?

Where did you read this?

CNN

The ship, a Marshall Islands-flagged vessel, was transiting the Strait into the Persian Gulf on an internationally recognized maritime route when the the Iranian military contacted the vessel and directed the ship master to "divert further into Iranian waters," according to Pentagon spokesman Col. Steve Warren.

"The master was contacted and directed to proceed further into Iranian territorial waters. He declined and one of the IRGCN craft fired shots across the bridge of the Maersk Tigris," said Warren, referring to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps Navy. "The master complied with the Iranian demand and proceeded into Iranian waters IVO Larak Island."

After the shots were fired, the Tigris issued a distress call which was picked up by U.S. forces in the area and the USS Farragut was ordered to head towards the incident. The closest U.S. warship was 60 miles from the incident.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Not sure who is and isn't able to edit on "vesselfinder" website, but this was on there and then taken off:

The "Armed guards on board" is no longer showing up on the site.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Obsrvr
Obama doesn't have the balls to do what needs to be done here.

What start another war?

Go bomb crazy ?

Will you be the one fighting or just sitting at home with a twinkie watching the "cool" explosion s on TV?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Not sure who is and isn't able to edit on "vesselfinder" website, but this was on there and then taken off:

The "Armed guards on board" is no longer showing up on the site.

That was probably entered into the ships AIS system by the Captain or crew member themselves as that is where all the information is pulled from.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
After reading the wiki link on the Jones Act, this has really jumped out at me.

n early 2015 Senator John McCain filed for an amendment that would essentially annul the Act.[5]

more info on the act and the senator's intent can be found here: www.the-triton.com...

What possible reason would there be to nullify this that would benefit America? I can see how it would vastly benefit international business interests, but the American people, not so much. And frankly, anyone for the repeal of this act is someone I look very questionably upon. I would put someone with that kind of attitude in the same league as someone who would call the US constitution "just a god*amn piece of paper", for example.

Besides wiki, I found this to be a pretty good explanation of what the Jones act does.

he Jones Act was an important piece of United States legislation passed in 1920. It supported the American Merchant Marine, while also providing additional protections for sailors and ship's crew. Several clauses in the act set a precedent, since they went above and beyond similar protective clauses under international maritime law. This law and the benefits it provides are extremely complex, and mariners who are eligible for claims under it should always consult an experienced attorney.

Officially titled the Merchant Marine Act of 1920, this legislation came to be best known for Senator Wesley Jones, who sponsored it. The act was passed in response to concerns about the health of the Merchant Marine, and to establish protections for sailors. Prior to its passage, sailors who were injured on the job had few options for recovering damages or getting assistance; recognizing the inherent danger of working at sea and the value of trained seamen, the law established a system of benefits for sailors.

Two parts of the Jones Act are of particular historical importance. The first heavily promoted American built, owned, and staffed ships. This was accomplished by restricting shipping and passenger trade within the United States to American owned or American flagged ships, and stipulated that 75% of a ship's crew must consist of American citizens. In addition, the use of foreign parts and labor in ship construction and repair was also heavily restricted. This section of the act was intended to create a strong, well staffed Merchant Marine that could ably serve the United States during both peace and war.

The second important section of the act created benefits for sailors that are extremely far reaching. Any sailor who is injured at sea is entitled to maintenance and cure, meaning that the sailor's employer must pay him or her a daily stipend and provide medical care to treat the injury. In addition, sailors can also sue for damages if their injuries were caused by negligence on the part of the ship's owners or other crew members, or if they sailed on unseaworthy vessels. These damages include death benefits, in the event that a sailor is killed on the job.

Anyone who spends at least 30% of his or her time in active service on a Merchant Marine vessel can qualify for Jones Act benefits. This includes all staff on board ship, from the captain on down. The benefits provided by the law can be significantly higher than benefits for workers on land, if a skilled attorney is involved.

www.wisegeek.org...

I would say that if the sailors on the ship that has been 'commandeered' by Iran are US Citizens, then the Jones act and the protection it supposedly affords might be the only thing they have going for them..if it's honored, that is. But then again, look at what happened to US citizens trying to flee Yemen..

edit on 28-4-2015 by jessme2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

UNFORTUNATELY - every ship in the region (owned by "western" interests) and West Africa and coastal Somalia NOW has armed guards on board.

Thanks to the ISPS code (INTERNATIONAL SHIP AND PORT SECURITY) bought in just after 911.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join