It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Losing my Religion

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat
Maybe, ultimately all written things are written by people, or at least mortals. But this does not mean that none of it has any value.
What is up with that creepy avatar?

Do you mean to say that morals are concepts written by people? I'm not sure who you're responding to.

The avatar is a 3D model by a graphics artist. I admire a lot of his work, and I found this one to be particularly intriguing

edit on 21/4/15 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Be careful, don't let confused people dictate what you believe in. Most of the people on conspiracy forums and youtube don't know what to believe. God is still with you. The bible is pretty clear and everything written in it did indeed happen. There was a time when I question the bible as well back when I was in college. Human nature is to go against what is holy. @boymonkey74 Cali is actually one of the most perverted places in America next to san fran. So yes, when you take god away that is what you get. I'm not here to agree with the majority. Yes its entertaining to hangout in these forums but when it starts to effect your belief in jesus thats when you have to start thinking about who are actually on these forums. I'd say mostly doom and gloom survival prep type of people who don't believe in the return of jesus. You cannot hide from what will come. Not saying its bad to know whats happening around you but in the end God knows what he is doing and everything has been written.

Not bashing anyone here, I actually think this is a pretty cool place. One thing to note is that questioning the bible and god isn't bad either. We all have brains and want to get to the root of things. I just think when we want to do our own thing(sin) we tend to want to rule out god so we won't feel bad about our actions.

To not believe in god is insanity really. All of creation was engineered by an all powerful being down to the tiniest molecule.

Am I open to the notion that god isn't real? No, It's impossible to think otherwise.

Am I open to the notion that christ didn't rise on the 3rd day? No, not believing so would make me a non believer. I would hate to die being wrong. No turning back after that. Thats why it's good to not let a forum snatch your salvation so quickly. Think about it and give it time. Think back to what Jesus said. No normal human could write in those parables like that. Most the scribes didn't know wtf he was taking about until he explained it to them. Man seeks carnal answers while god works in the spirit.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aaronkb7
Am I open to the notion that god isn't real? No, It's impossible to think otherwise.

Am I open to the notion that christ didn't rise on the 3rd day? No, not believing so would make me a non believer.

You're blatantly shouting that you do not cave in to reason, and believe in what you were told to believe in, unquestionably. For someone who professes their enjoyment of this forum, you're doing nothing but accepting ignorance when you cut out all other possibilities.

I would hate to die being wrong. No turning back after that.

This right here is the perfect example of the fear that religions use and instill within their followers. "but if I don't do it, I could burn in hell! Therefore I should follow their beliefs!"

Wouldn't life be so much more enjoyable when you don't have to be so scared about spending the rest of eternity being tortured non stop? Wouldn't everything be so much more beautiful when you realize that life is precious, instead of just a stepping stone to another dimension? It would seem as though those who do not think there is an afterlife, or a way to come back must also find everything in existence to be that much exquisite and delicate when they know it's their only chance to experience such incredible things.

It's odd isn't it? Those same people have the exact opposite mindset as you. Instead of shutting out anything that may seep into your idea of what is absolute, by stating "It is simply not an option to believe otherwise", these individuals study things that challenge their perspective on things. They actually go out and find new ideas and concepts because the universe is all the more fascinating when they realize they only have a short while to experience it. Instead of locking themselves in a self-made fantasy, killing every possibility that knocks on their doors, they instead open the door and let everything in.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Also apostle Paul was a real follower of Christ. This new doctrine people are teaching is dangerous. The law has been done with and the only thing that can save us is the grace of god literally.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: whooknows

Ah, but reading God's word does not make one lose faith. It is possible one never had faith to begin with. But scripture does not make one lose faith. It is alive and exerts power...

You should try telling that to the people at the clergy project. FYI they are comprised of current and former Nuns, priests, ministers, preachers....... well you should get the point they were and some currently are religious leaders.

Anyway here is the link you should read some of their stories. clergyproject.org...

Reading God's word is as if looking into a mirror, it shows you who you really are.

That sounds more like you have imagined your god to be more like yourself which is a well-known aspect of those that are religious. It explains why they feel so hurt or angry when others do not accept their god because subconsciously they feel that they are being personaly rejected.

God is like a potter while we are the clay. When you read scripture, if your heart is moldable he can turn you into something of beauty.

Gullibility is not a good trait and it is like you are advocating willful gullibility with that statement. There is a saying I have heard it goes like "believe the belief" which has to be related to "fake it till you make it".

Plainly it all means " do not question or think critically about it and just accept it". Only in religion is that not only acceptable, but admirable.

Look, no one is trying to take away your faith, but your points are very typical for this type of thing I have heard and read many variants of the same from others before.

My favourite post in this entire thread was MsKats when she said.

I was defending my religious faith one time, and a good friend said "Arent you glad you were born into the right religion? I feel really sorry for those who were born into the wrong religion".

That simple statement started the whole examination process.

There are many posters here that almost seem hurt that she has lost her belief which goes back to what I was saying about the self-god image people have. She isn't attacking anyone she is simply telling her story. Religion obviously isn't for everyone, but if your goal is to entice them into it or back by telling people they never had faith to begin with that isn't going to do it. That sort of thing will only push people further away because you are basically saying they are liars or that you know them better than they do without even knowing their real name.

A lot of that is my opinion I offer it in good will.
edit on 21-4-2015 by Grimpachi because: nada

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Yup I know exactly what you mean. The thing is I've went down that road already. Everything leads back to Christianity. To be honest nothing I can say can convince you or anyone else. A mans heart is already set in its ways. But just think about it. If there was no life after death there would be no justice for the people slain in cold blood. If everyone dies with no consequences that would not be fair. Obviously there has to be a balance. There is good and evil. You know when something evil happens and you know when something good happens. We all can sense it. Most people won't come to know god because they are in a carnal state of mind. God spoke spiritual truths. The people back then thought Jesus would take up arms and become king of Judea but they didn't understand what dying on the cross meant. A long long time ago people use to sacrifice animals. There is proof of this. But why? Abel was the first man to sacrifice an animal for the covering of sin. It was passed down generation after generation until Jesus was literally the sacrifice. Now all we have to do is believe on him.

Again some will read this and understand others won't. God was VERY clear on what he was saying. People wouldn't listen even when they knew god was real. Back in Egypt they prayed to false gods. Some of them you may know. Osiris, horus etc etc. God brought plagues and the pharaoh was very stubborn. He knew Moses came in gods name. We all know the story. Egypt hasn't been the same sense. All but a ruin, a tourist site lol. Only gods kingdom will stand. He sent prophets to warn us. Some will listen some won't. Its nothing new tho. Whenever you let man do there on thing craziness happens.

Remember Aaron Moses brother?

well when Moses was gone for some time Aaron put up an idol of a bull for the people to worship. God was not happy because he said do not put idols before me.

We see that now. Jesus told us what to do and yet we have all of these false religions. We want to do everything jesus said not to do. For instance vegans and people who practice yoga insist on not eating meat. God SPECIFICALLY said watch out for people who tell you you can't eat meat. Doctrine of devils. False teachings.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Even atheism. God said people who don't believe are fools. Psalm 14: 1 "For the director of music. Of David. The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.
"

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog
I don't know how it's possible to believe in an all loving God after seeing that video. I would be interested to hear the thoughts from those who believe in an all loving God

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

The only religion you need is truth and kindness. Enjoy yourself and let go of the guilt. Whatever is or isnt beyond this life doesnt care what religion one does or does not follow. Great post, Its easty to feel lost at first, and the programmed guilt is ridiculous but youll be alright. I made it, and I grew up in an apocalypse cult. You never totally get rid of the guilt but it gets better.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
i ask the atheists on this thread:

why do i only have 2 choices: atheism or islam?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Yup I know exactly what you mean. The thing is I've went down that road already. Everything leads back to Christianity.

Of course everything leads back to Christianity in your mind, you said in your previous post that you reject anything that doesn't already abide by your current beliefs. Essentially, you are picking and choosing things that happen during your life, which coincidentally have some sort of relevance (no matter how insignificant) to your belief, and thus proclaim it a "road to Christianity".

originally posted by: Aaronkb7To be honest nothing I can say can convince you or anyone else. A mans heart is already set in its ways.

This clearly isn't true, considering there are many people (such as the OP) who once believed just as strongly and blindly as you do, and yet managed to come to reason and leave the indoctrination.

If there was no life after death there would be no justice for the people slain in cold blood. If everyone dies with no consequences that would not be fair. Obviously there has to be a balance.

This is a strawman argument if I ever saw one. You're mental processing is working backwards. You've came to a conclusion and are then finding incidences which prove your conclusion. Instead, you should look at those incidences (evidence) and only then come to a conclusion drawn from that evidence.

You have decided "There must be balance between actions and consequences!" when in reality, nature doesn't work that way. If I go out and kill someone, I could very well live a very peaceful, happy life (so long as I'm a psychopath and have no emotional connection to taking someone's life), and then I die. Now, you're saying "Well there must be some sort of justice served!" emotionally, you cannot handle that a murderer had killed someone and got away with in; not only that, but lived the rest of their life blissful and happy. So you turn to some form of afterlife punishment in order to ease your distress over the matter.

Christianity is a great tool to use in order to ease your confrontation with this dilemma. Unfortunately, just because it psychologically assists your issue, doesn't make the fantasy of the religion actually true.

Again some will read this and understand others won't. God was VERY clear on what he was saying. People wouldn't listen even when they knew god was real. Back in Egypt they prayed to false gods. Some of them you may know. Osiris, horus etc etc.

I find it incredibly ironic that you bring up Horus, considering that Jesus is the exact replica of Horus.

1.conceived of a virgin.
2.The "only begotten son" of a god (either Osiris or Yahweh)
3.His mother was named "Mary"
4. foster father was called Joseph
5.foster fathers were of royal descent.
6.born in a cave
7.His coming announced to their mother by an angel and his birth was heralded by the star the morning star
8.His birth was on the winter solstice
9.His birth was announced by angels
10.had shepherds witnessing the birth.
11.Visited by three wise men
12.After His birth an individual tried to have him murdered,
13. There was no official recorded life history between the ages of 12 and 30.
14.He was baptized in a river
15.Baptized at age 30.
16.The person who Baptized him was later beheaded
17.He was taken from the desert then up a high mountain to be tempted by his arch-rival
18.successfully resist this temptation.
19.has 12 disciples.
20.walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, and restored sight to the blind.
21.stilled the sea by his power
22.Delivered a Sermon on the Mount.
23.was Crucified.
24.was crucified next to two thieves.
25.was buried in a tomb.
26.Was sent to Hell and resurrected in 3 days.
27.resurrection was announced by women.
28.Is supposed to return for a 1000-year reign.
29.known as the Christ (which means "anointed one").
30.was called the good shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, the fisher, and the winnower.
36.is associated with the zodiac sign of Pisces (the fish).

Sound familiar? Yes, what I have just written is the exact incidences and traits that belong to none other than!...

Horus...

Yet Horus's story came before Jesus'? Welcome to the art of ancient plagiarism.

Even atheism. God said people who don't believe are fools. Psalm 14: 1 "For the director of music. Of David. The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.
"

So I can do no good? I don't mean to brag, but you did put me on the spot after all. Let's see, I've spend years of my life in other countries breeding endangered species. Most of my jobs have been with the rehabilitation of animals. I've tutored children. I'm a conservationist. I am part of a Psychology forum where I actively assist people with mental disabilities. I have never raped, murdered, or physically assaulted anyone.

Sounds like a person who "corrupt, vile, and is not a person who does good" to me.

If the bible is infallible, doesn't that mean that my existence itself disproves it according to psalms 14:1?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

Choose what belief system you want im sure no one really cares. It seems it's you limiting your choices not athiests

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

Choose what belief system you want im sure no one really cares. It seems it's you limiting your choices not athiests

the constant onslaught though, is designed to direct that path, away from one belief to another. dunno what's wrong with the one i got

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

some of the shared horus attributes are correct, but, sorry to say, some are not.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: undo
No it's not, most people are just addressing the ops question. It's interesting to see so many are not willing to support the op but want them to remain part of the flock. Lots of people lose their faith or belief in religion, it's hardly surprising when we see the damage it causes throughout the world and to take it seriously with the scientific advancement of the 20th century

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
No it's not, most people are just addressing the ops question. It's interesting to see so many are not willing to support the op but want them to remain part of the flock. Lots of people lose their faith or belief in religion, it's hardly surprising when we see the damage it causes throughout the world and to take it seriously with the scientific advancement of the 20th century

but you never acknowledge any of the good. which means you're trying to characterize every belief that's different than your own, as not tenable for society. therefore, i ask again:

why do i only have 2 choices?

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   

some of the shared horus attributes are correct, but, sorry to say, some are not.

The fact that there is a number of shared attributes in general is conclusive enough to show the plagiarized nature of the bible. It's not as if Horus is the only god Jesus shares an exceptional amount of traits with anyway. It's a bit difficult to conceive why anyone would continue to hold their believes at such an impeccable vertex when information such as this is readily available.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I usually don't respond to hyperbole, but I will make an exception.

You are free to believe anything you want and not many people will care, but if you try to force others to conform to those beliefs then you make your beliefs a target for ridicule.

It is really up to you how your beliefs are viewed and received by others.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: undo well I wouldn't choose Islam because the price for apostrophe is death.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

The fact that there is a number of shared attributes in general is conclusive enough to show the plagiarized nature of the bible. It's not as if Horus is the only god Jesus shares an exceptional amount of traits with anyway. It's a bit difficult to conceive why anyone would continue to hold their believes at such an impeccable vertex when information such as this is readily available.

okay, just for the record, understand that i study this stuff.....alot. not just the bible, but all ancient religions/societies. and boy do i have some stuff to tell you. let's start at the beginning:

1. the old testament is not plagiarized sumerian texts. (i'm including this because it's relevant). semites lived in sumer, so it's a shared history.

2. when noah's son ham migrated back to egypt (egypt otherwise known as khem, was named after ham), he took the history of sumer with him. thus the sumerian info is embedded in ancient egyptian texts/religion. moses learned both this version (sumerian-egyptian khemitic) and also the mesopotamian version (sumerian-akkadian-hebrew) brought to egypt later, by his mother, who was his nanny in pharaoh's household. thus the torah (first five books of the bible) is sumerian-akkadian-egyptian, in origin.

3. horus was not ripped off from the egyptians by the hebrews, it was continuation of the preflood khemitic, thus preflood noahic, thus preflood sumerian. in effect, jesus is exactly who he said he was.

posted on Apr, 21 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

Been there, done that. What ticks me off is how difficult it is to find support. Apparently, people who're awake don't give a much of a f#@k to their newly awoken brethren.

Herein lies the folly and weakness of disorganized awakenings. At least in church, they're organized.

And we should be fair too. The church, Christianity, will stick with us. It taught us a lot anyways, civility, and the like. I'm still somewhat grateful.

For all its worth, welcome to the disorganized club.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join