It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cabbie ordered to pay $10,000 for telling lesbians to stop kissing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This is complete BS. I don't care if the guy was actually being homophobic (and he doesn't appear to have been), this is overkill.

I don't care if it was a quick peck on the lips, it's overkill.

If someone is uncomfortable with PDA and asks you to knock it off, the appropriate response should be to knock it off. Especially in a cab or other closed in space.

CHELSEA — A taxi driver must pay a lesbian couple $10,000 for telling them to either stop smooching in the backseat of his cab or kiss their ride goodbye, a city administrative judge ruled last month.

This next part seems like pure BS.

However, the judge disagreed.

"The more likely reason for [Dahbi] stopping the taxicab and directing Ms. Spitzer and Ms. Thornton to stop kissing was, not that he objected to all kissing, but that he was uncomfortable with two women sharing a romantic kiss," Spooner said his decision.

The more likely reason? Is this a joke? There is no proof, no real evidence but because the judge thinks it's a more likely reason?

After Dahbi gave his ultimatum, Thornton told him that he was discriminating against them because they were gay, according to the decision.

"Don't make me out to be an a--hole," Dahbi responded to her, the decision says.

So if all parties agreed he said that, doesn't that make it seem like the reason was because of the PDA and not because of sexual orientation?

One comment I saw from someone who is apparently a member of the LGBT community said he thought it was disgusting to see people wielding their sexuality as a weapon. I completely agree.

$10,000 for mildly insulting someone (at worst). Thats a pretty hefty fine, especially for someone driving a cab to have to deal with.

www.dnainfo.com... ork/20150410/chelsea/cabbie-ordered-pay-lesbian-couple-10k-for-telling-them-stop-kissing

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

For every LGBT person out there who cheered this on, there's a hundred more who would say "psssst... you're not helping!"

We need to pick our battles, folks. Picking on cabbies who don't like people getting frisky in their cabs isn't exactly making them look "oppressed" and the bigots will just use it as ammo when they want to say they're oppressed.

You have a ton of queer folks out there and a ton of religious ones. Most of them all just go along peacefully side-by-side but the ones that don't just like to scream "help, help, I'm being oppressed!" as loudly as possible to make both sides look ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

On the other hand, it's New York City. The taxis are regulated by the city and are essential for transportation and no doubt for the tourism industry as well. If he wants to enforce a Muslim "standard of decency" in his presence maybe he should get another job instead of driving cab in NYC.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

As a member of the LGBT "community" (I still don't know where this community is) I agree that this is overkill.

Aside from the fact that we don't know the whole story here, this is far too severe a punishment. Sometimes you have to wonder if a decision like this is being made for attention rather than justice.

And what is this obsession you Americans have with "PDA" (and why do you need to create acronyms for everything?)

It's like you guys are going backward socially. Does the sight of people who love each other expressing affection REALLY have any impact at all on your existence? I'll tell you what, any American who has some weird psychological reaction to seeing two people kiss should stay in the US, and definitely don't come to Europe, your heads would explode!

You know, it says something about a society when expressing love for someone in public is considered almost criminal. Emotionally and psychologically healthy humans feel warm and fuzzy seeing two people who love each other kissing, it's not something to be "offended" by.

If "PDA" offends your sensibilities, I think you're living in the wrong century.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Ummm, some PDA's are just down right unenjoyable to be around. I feel bad for the guy. I'd feel just as uncomfortable if a straight couple was doing the same thing in my cab.

He has every right to request them to control themselves or leave his place of business. He has every right to be uncomfortable. If I were him I wouldn't pay the fine.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Oh, and I forgot to mention, some states have laws protecting the rights of all citizens, not just LGBT people. If the guy really is that offended or upset by two people kissing, maybe he should get another job? If you provide a service to the public, you don't get to pick and choose which members of the public you will serve based on your own bigotries.

Still think this was overkill, but it does seem as though this was homophobia (come on, no other couples have kissed in his cab? Give me a f-ing break).

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

On the other hand, it's New York City. The taxis are regulated by the city and are essential for transportation and no doubt for the tourism industry as well. If he wants to enforce a Muslim "standard of decency" in his presence maybe he should get another job instead of driving cab in NYC.

If he had said something to the effect of "No lesbian kissing in this cab!", that would be different. The judge just assumed that was why.

Have you ever had people a foot away from you making out while you are trying to do your job? It's awkward and distracting.

If my partner and I were sexually attacking each other after a date and the driver said stop, we'd just stop. I don't think it would ever cross our mind to call his boss, let alone a lawyer.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkymedic
Ummm, some PDA's are just down right unenjoyable to be around. I feel bad for the guy. I'd feel just as uncomfortable if a straight couple was doing the same thing in my cab.

He has every right to request them to control themselves or leave his place of business. He has every right to be uncomfortable. If I were him I wouldn't pay the fine.

You do know you sound like an old Victorian queen right?
Oh, the harlot is showing her ankles! Pass my smelling salts I am surely having a turn!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

It greatly depends on the amount of PDA for me. I doubt I would be bothered by this, but everyone is different.

You people from other countries need to stop telling Americans how to think and feel.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

And your completely insensitive to others, their beliefs and their right to feel comfortable in their place of business. Regardless if it's a taxi or not.

Is the request overkill? Yeah...it is...but what is even worse is the fact this man apparently has no right to feel this way AND get severely financially punished for it.

THAT is what is insane here...not the kiss.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
You people from other countries need to stop telling Americans how to think and feel.

But wait, you Americans love freedom of speech, right?

I'm not telling you how to think and feel, I'm pointing out that this constant whining about how seeing other people being affectionate might be "offensive" is absolutely pathetic.

It's funny, American people preach a lot about liberty and freedom, but so many of you are always so utterly desperate to inflict your notions onto other free people when their actions have absolutely no impact at all on your own lives.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I am not American. Never have been, never will be.

Equality and freedoms go in both directions.

Grow up.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I was joking about telling you all to stop telling us. It sounded a little more serious than intended.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Sounds like some judge has decided to send a MESSAGE!

Just might make a difference.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Well if the gays cost me that kind of money you can bet I would sure hate them from that day forward.
Again the larger problem I see is a judge once again making a totally unreasonable call assuming and a out of control legal system due to it. They should all be informed you are not God and we shouldn't have to rise when they enter a room to begin with.
Sorry I just don't respect any judge that would require that.

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Oh, for crying out loud! Please have some decency, folks! I'll have to side with the "cabbie". Those lesbians can perform their monkey business in the privacy of their own places!

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Dummy should have taken video and enjoyed the show maybe theyd have even let him join in .. serves the idiot right getting fined ..

posted on Apr, 11 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Dummy should have taken video and enjoyed the show maybe theyd have even let him join in .. serves the idiot right getting fined ..

G,gay Pat. Smiling mate.
figured you would chime in on this thread and drop that little statement lol
have a good one mate
but concerning the actual thread
i figure the sheila,s baited the bloke and he came in
hook line and sinker

(post by Lipton removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 12 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Might as well face it, the GLBT group is now an elite protected class.

Don't say, do anything that might offend them.

Keep your opinions to yourself.

Or else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join