It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terminally ill man set to undergo world's first full HEAD transplant by doctor branded "nuts"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The 2016 operation is 'pure fantasy' says critics of Dr. Canavero.

Valery Spiridonov

A man with a fatal medical condition has spoken exclusively to MailOnline about how he is set to become the first person to undergo a head transplant and hopes it could be as soon as next year.

Valery Spiridonov says he is ready to put his trust in controversial surgeon Dr Sergio Canavero who claims he can cut off his head and attach it to a healthy body.

Mr Spiridonov, 30, a computer scientist from Russia, said: 'My decision is final and I do not plan to change my mind.'

As a lifelong sufferer of the rare genetic Werdnig-Hoffman muscle wasting disease, he says he wants the chance of a new body before he dies.

Dr Canavero and Mr Spiridonov have talked via Skype though they have not met yet and the doctor has not reviewed his medical records.

The Italian told CNN he has received many email and letters from people seeking the procedure but he insists the first patients will be people suffering from a muscle wasting disease.

Dr. Canavero

History: In 1970 Dr Robert White transplanted the head of one monkey onto the body of another, as shown in this diagram. If Mr Spiridonov's head were to be successfully transplanted his jugular vein and spinal cords would have to be similarly fused with those of his new donor body.

As someone with an invisible illness, I sympathize with this young man wanting to live longer, despite his disease. Question though, this doctor didn't bother to read this guy's medical records. When he "transplants" his head, will the muscular degeneration of the body, transplant with him? In other words, will another body "waste away"? Honestly curious. I truly hope not.

I do hope this doctor takes the time to review his records eventually before the surgery. I suspect the doctor only agreed to make a name for himself, more than to actually help a patient.

edit on 4/8/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I want on a hot skinny body!

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Ray Milland and Rosie Greer didn't think Their Doc was Nuts............Hmm....

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   

What could possibly go wrong , he has polyethylene glycol or as most of us know it as HOCH2CH2OH + n(CH2CH2O) → HO(CH2CH2O)n+1H .

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

What could possibly go wrong , he has polyethylene glycol or as most of us know it as HOCH2CH2OH + n(CH2CH2O) → HO(CH2CH2O)n+1H .

I actually have not a clue what any of that is...

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

I actually have not a clue what any of that is...

Really , apparently its used to glue heads back on .

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The debate now is. Nerve tissue does not regenerate. But over the years. Better scopes allow doctors to attach the nerves. (( IN LIMBS)). And even then it's not 100%. Pt's don't get full feeling back. Motor function is not great. We're talking re-attaching the brain stem. The autonomic system. The heart and lungs will fail I feel. Then the very high risk of the body rejecting something foreign. Yes there are meds to counter act this. But wow. Brave.

I hope the doctor reads up on the pt's hx ( history too )

I know its been tested on animals. Russian scientist did this to dogs too. It's really barbaric. But if I was dying anyway. Or lacked severe quality of life. I might consider too.

I don't want to touch this.

Soo? Who's the lucky prisoner going to be who donates his/her body ? Never seen a body donation drivers license .. just the organ.

edit on 8-4-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   
This operation will be done successfully one day, and from then on it'll be Katy-bar-the-door. If the patient wants to give it a go, all power and luck to him. In the history of science and medicine, he's a-head of the curve.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I see what you done there .

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
The man knows what he's doing, its akin to assistant suicide. He's terminally ill so he has found a way to get around the law. He knows he will be killed.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Works with guinea pig spinal cords! What could possibly go wrong?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I hope our generation of elite all die of old age before this procedure takes off.

..... thats all we need, senile, delirious illuminati calling shots.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

All you gotta do is make sure all the right wires are connected and you're good to go.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
This really sounds insane however, I think that may be because it has never been done before with humans.

If it is actually within the realm of possibility with today's technology then we will have just entered the twilight zone. I honestly hope it works, but if it does we will need to have an international conversation on it because there is a black market for organs where people do disappear due to it. Some people have been caught. Fresher is better.

Science progressing faster than the ability of society to police it has always been a concern with many fields.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

The debate now is. Nerve tissue does not regenerate. But over the years. Better scopes allow doctors to attach the nerves. (( IN LIMBS)). And even then it's not 100%. Pt's don't get full feeling back. Motor function is not great. We're talking re-attaching the brain stem. The autonomic system. The heart and lungs will fail I feel. Then the very high risk of the body rejecting something foreign. Yes there are meds to counter act this. But wow. Brave.

I hope the doctor reads up on the pt's hx ( history too )

I know its been tested on animals. Russian scientist did this to dogs too. It's really barbaric. But if I was dying anyway. Or lacked severe quality of life. I might consider too.

I don't want to touch this.

Soo? Who's the lucky prisoner going to be who donates his/her body ? Never seen a body donation drivers license .. just the organ.

I would also be curious if his condition will continue anew in the new body, or will it stop in the new body. Plus, as you mentioned, with the dogs, they didn't live that long, as well as the monkey in the OP illustration that died 8 days after it's head transplant. I would hope he is able to live longer as I know he hasn't had a nice quality life up till now. But so far, the prognosis isn't good.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I'm now reading up on the disease in a book. And looking online.
The disease seems to be a genetic/DNA malformation so I'm going to say no. But

Here's a link if it helps.
Key word is autosomal recessive.

www.rarediseases.org...

The test subjects died 8 days later.. that not successful enough in my books.
But like I said. If your are going to die. You might consider taken a shot.

The confusing part is. It specifies tongue/chewing difficulties. So if the head is on a new body. What about the muscles of the face. Maybe he's not that bad as far as that goes. I don't have have his chart.. lol. Or near the education on this disease.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
How exactly is this going to improve his quality of life? If he's paralyzed now then won't he be paralyzed with the new body as well? They can't fix a severed spinal cord can they?

This seems like assisted suicide to me, the new body is going to be just as useless or even more so than his old one. He'll probably end up dying, maybe that's the point?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace

This has got Monthy Python skit all over it....

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
yeah this reminds me of The Hostile Hospital. where doctor lucafont (count olaf lol) tried to do this in order to get his hands on the baudelaire fortune.

since theres no fortune, im thinking another poster was right in saying that this is assisted suicide. but it might be a last ditch effort to live as well. sounds horrifying though.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

What is scary is the implications of "success".

Imagine the Kissingers and Soros of this world buying new bodies. That will happen (if not happening already).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join