It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Federal Immigration Official Arrested in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A Canadian federal immigration officer was arrested in Ottawa following a corruption and fraud investigation by the RCMP. It is believed that he had received or was soliciting Arab immigrants for bribes of up to $25,000 to expediate their applications.

www.cfra.com
An Immigration Canada official in Ottawa is among five people charged with corruption and fraud after a Thursday morning raid.

The RCMP alleges the group received up to 25-thousand dollars in fees from at least a dozen Arab immigrants seeking permanent resident status.

Cpl. Nathalie Deschenes says the suspects were allegedly approaching immigrants and promising that their applications would be fast-tracked for fees.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although the article states that there is not indication there is any terrorist link, it's still scary to think that people might be able to buy their way into Canada. Where do these ordinary people get $25,000 bribe money anyway?

And you can bet that if this is happenning in Canada, then there is a good change this is happenning in the US also.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by sensfan]

[edit on 12-20-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan
And you can bet that if this is happenning in Canada, then there is a good change this is happenning in the US also.

Why would you make that bet? Canada has always been very lax on their immigration policies - it's been a bone of contention between them and the US for a long time.

But this action now sheds some light on why there has been such resistance to tighten up their borders.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
One does not necessarily follow the other, but we have our share of corruption here. Becky is right. Canada's immigration laws have been a real concern for a long time and this only makes it look worse. I'm glad they caught the scoundrel. I hope he rots in jail.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I'm curious why you believe that Canada's immigration policy is lax or sub par? I'd like to see some documentation or proof on this. I'd say that the US borders are more porous than here in Canada...How many undocumented people sneak in from Mexico every day?

Anyway, that's not the issue, I would havever still take that bet.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Here's a start:

As 60 Minutes first reported over a year ago, Canadian intelligence admits the country has become a sanctuary, staging ground and fund-raising base for hundreds of terrorists from all over the world.

They are drawn to Canada by its liberal immigration and refugee policies, and they have transformed Canada into a potential launching pad for attacks against the United States.Correspondent Steve Kroft reports.

www.cbsnews.com...

Here's another
www.parapundit.com...

Plenty of examples out there.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

[edit on 20-12-2004 by sensfan]

[edit on 12-20-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

Without naming anybody, I will tell you that is corruption in the US border also, but most of the things that goes on are not in the media.

Things with they Mexico and US border are bad, remember the "alert" on middle Easterners coming across and nobody doing anything? a month or two ago.

It was real, my husband and I meet a gentleman, that has to fleet from Texas because he witness some irregularities on the border by some US officials, he was also a border patrol policeman he was released from his position.

So far the "official" in question is under investigation, and the gentleman in question was offered his job back and he is just waiting to see the outcome of the investigation to make his decision.

I don't blame him, things can be very dangerous when you expose people higher up.

But do we see any of this in the media? no we don't.

We knew about the concern and it was all over the media for a while, but we never found out if it was true or not.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
HA!... of course it is happening in America also... it is big legal business!
ask any company that uses travel visas regularly...

it is big business to pay an "intermediary company" to fast track the apps...
and it is much cheaper than $25,000.
more like $100 will speed it up,
$500 will get it hand carried thru,
and $1000 will get the poor guy that is running the paper work around to spray it with perfume and kiss it with lipstick so that it looks like it is from a seductive woman...(kidding on the last one).
it is common to have fee based "upgrades of service" in immigration and travel paperwork...
and NO it is not right to be able to buy a place in line...

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Canada has a business immigration act that will "fasttrack" immigration cases. a simple "payout" will fast track it

see the thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

not a new policy but a scary one indeed

new topics

top topics

join