It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Music's Sad State of Affairs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I am of the opinion that music with any real soul, music that is honest, is a real expression of art, music that makes people think, music that doesn't come from a team of songwriters hired to regurgitate a listener-tested formula for maximum profit, is being actively suppressed in the music business. What is being pushed on us is mindless, shallow drivel. I saw this video and was like, WOW. Maybe it's always been this way, but popular music has reached an all-time low imho. This is both sad and hilarious:

Usually when things get so shallow and materialistic there is a counterculture brewing like psychedelic rock in the 60's, punk in the 70's, and grunge in the late 80's. It's about time for the next one!

*EDIT video is not playing for some reason so here is the link.
edit on 7-4-2015 by humanityrising because: technical difficulties

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Pretty pathetic, I cant stand what Hollywood and the music industry has become.

But that is for another thread.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
You're for me. I am a small time artist with little to no following named indorap. I carry no pen, no notepad and nothing thats not original for I have but 1 voice of many. So yes, Its hard to get noticed, it hurts but we are not alone in the least bit. Musicians will continue to save the planet for time immemoriable. so relax, every note you take every not you break I'll be watching you, writing few lines for two. and when You read them you will know you've read them, heard them and listened to them before and again and again. thank you. NRD 101

www.soundcloud.com...

and also performing Blank Space since 2008 not as a woman. Thank you. Good Day. NDo

Ndo Rap if you can't spell on itunes. LOL under Manic Me. ugh. oh well.

edited: one too many WWWWWW lol

edit on 7-4-2015 by nrd101 because: the letter W was duplicated in reverendum

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: humanityrising

GOD modern country music SUCKS!

Who would have thought that there might be a time when an ear would cry out for the return of Garth Brooks!?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Lamestream music has always sucked ...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
so yea, embed or whatnot

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Yeah music quality has nose dived over the years. I am travelling around at the moment and have seen quite a few very talented buskers playing for pennies on the street while far less talented people get a record contract because they got picked by Simon Cowell on the TV, kind of makes the blood boil. There are some talented people out there though who can really play and sing. I kind of like what Post modern Jukebox are doing with pop songs at the mo.

edit on 7-4-2015 by seanridesajones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Who would have thought that there might be a time when an ear would cry out for the return of Garth Brooks!?

omg stop killing me too funny I'ma die of laughter now, but really stop it I need to live!!! one love

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You are looking for your music in the wrong places then. I know of MANY bands that care about their art and put forth suburb musicianship in their work. I also attend at least 1 live music show a month.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

edit on 7-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It was at this moment that the OP realized he sounded just like his/her parents...

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Now that's much better!

I also don't mind a bit of Rebel 2 Rebel, but unfortunately, there will be no more music forthcoming from that odd hybrid, for obvious reasons having to do with the untimely and senseless death of one of the members of the band. I probably do not need to name names.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

To be honest, I'm more of a bluegrass fan myself when it comes to country music, but I saw your post and thought of that song. It's so true!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Agreed. With me, I figured it was just old age. At almost 59, In the 60's, AM Radio and the new frontier FM was actually great, diverse acts from Joni Mitchell to King Crimson to The Mahavishu Orchestra were on the Pop Stations.

I have no problem with Pop Music, but I get to the point of agitation in the Super Market or a Subway Sandwich place. It is such drivel. Taylor Swift is a Joke, link me to a good Swift song.

And that frequency shift sweep drop the beat crap is so shallow. Sounds good on Molly I'm sure.

Where is anybody now days that is as artistic or gifted as a Jimmy Hendrix?

But I'm old. And perhaps the result of the Industry. Who owns the Media baby.
edit on 7-4-2015 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
My guilty pleasure is Taylor Swift.
As she says haters gonna hate hate hate hate.
As we get older we will look at todays music as bad just like generations before did.
I think all the pop idol shows have destoyed real talent getting a xhance at the big time.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Wow! They're all the same goddamn song. Every one of them.

That's the epitome of evidence of how badly Country music (and others) suck.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Where is anybody now days that is as artistic or gifted as a Jimmy Hendrix?

Guitar - Warren Haynes and Joe Bonamassa

Bass Guitar - Les Claypool

Guitar - Jake Cinninger and Brendan Bayliss

Mandolin - Jeff Austin

Guitar - Trey Anastasio

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Not always. There are those periods when what is underground surfaces in the mainstream, and for a short while, a lot of good things happen. Right now, music is basically dead. Sure there is good stuff out there, but it's mainly for an exclusive audience, when everyone should be exposed to it.
Mtv doesn't exist. Kids don't listen to the radio. Music is segregated into whatever online channel you subscribe to.
The only mainstream outlet for good new music I see is Carson Daley's late night tv show on NBC. He always shows interesting bands.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

And the moral of that post? If you want to find music artists who focus on the art of it all, turn off the radio and dig.

With the millions of options of finding music, I don't know why people turn the radio on in the hopes of finding something that they think is good, when they know full well that they wont.

If you want to find creative music, you have to use creative methods.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Taupin Desciple

Exactly!!! Well unless you happen to be a subscriber to Sirius radio. The Jam On station along with a few others (like Margaritaville) play some decent bands. Pandora and other internet radio sites are a great avenue to search for new music as well. Or you could stay connected to the live music scene like I do.

Awesome band I discovered on Pandora:

I really get miffed at people who say that music is in a slump or there is only bad music out there. First off, stop expecting quality music to be handed to you on a silver platter. Record companies are going to expose you to stuff that sells and they have many formulas they abide by to get music as mainstream as possible. This is because the blander the music with the right components, the wider the audience it will reach.

Believe it or not. Nickelback actually has decent musicians. Chad Kroeger formed the band for the express purpose of capitalizing on bland corporate rock. They aren't pushing crappy music because they are crappy musicians. No, they are good musicians who are exploiting the mass public's poor taste in music to make a lot of money.
edit on 7-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join