It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'SNL' Spoofed Church Of Scientology!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
From HuffPo:

Alex Gibney's Scientology documentary "Going Clear" premiered on HBO last week, unveiling a slew of shocking allegations against the Church and previously unknown stories about the celebrities at its center. But just in case you missed the film, "Saturday Night Live" mocked the Church with a scathing fake ad.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The video:

The original that the spoof was based on:

Well done SNL, well done.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I just watched Going Clear last night. Very good documentary with a scathing assessment of scientology.

Maybe they will lose tax exempt status finally. And David Miscavige can be locked up for the criminal he is.

Problem is they have more than enough money to buy people off.

Here is a vid of their pathetic bully tactics.

Long live Xenu!
Here is L. Ron talking about Lord Xenu, really.

edit on 4 5 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I have such a hard time understanding any of that Scientology stuff.
A mediocre Science Fiction author all of a sudden comes out with a philosophy of self improvement and universal knowledge and people lap it up like it is God's own milk.

I mean, did Hubbard really believe any of this stuff??? Did he believe himself to be a deliverer of galactic truth? Or did he know he was just making the whole thing up because he wanted to see how far along people would go with his charade?

Anyone know of information on Hubbard's true belief system? That would be interesting to me.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I don't know for sure, but from what I got from 'Going Clear', I believe he started out with a plan to get rich.

Which worked beyond his wildest dreams.

But towards the end I believe he was delusional. They said he spent many many hours doing self audits.

Seems like he brainwashed himself with all the BS he was pushing on people, tell the lie often enough and you start to believe it.

In the later interviews he just appears crazy.

If you get a chance I recommend watching the HBO special, its an eye opener. I am surprised David Miscavige didn't have someone killed over it.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
So I just listened to Hubbard. That guy was Looney tunes. From what I recall hearing he dabbled in his fair share of hallucinogenic compounds back in the 50's & 60's. I think it fried his brain. Never have I heard a more fantastical story than that garbage about Xenu. I would be more incline to believe Christianity than the BS he just spouted. Anyone who believes this stuff should be put down or committed to a psych ward.

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I don't think most people are clear in the beginning as to what its about, then get suckered in. Then they stay to "try and make sense of it all". I feel bad for the people born into it, screw Tom Cruise.
edit on 5-4-2015 by Foderalover because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
I have such a hard time understanding any of that Scientology stuff.
A mediocre Science Fiction author all of a sudden comes out with a philosophy of self improvement and universal knowledge and people lap it up like it is God's own milk.

As the old saying goes, if you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

We exist in a culture that tells us that there is no absolute truth except that there is no absolute truth (an self-referential absurdity). People look for something to pin their hopes on. Hell, how many people on ATS are actually waiting for the aliens to come ans save us from ourselves?

I mean, did Hubbard really believe any of this stuff??? Did he believe himself to be a deliverer of galactic truth? Or did he know he was just making the whole thing up because he wanted to see how far along people would go with his charade?

From all that I've heard, he was playing a big scam and he knew it. It was probably more a power thing than a money thing (though I don't guess the money hurt his feelings).

Anyone know of information on Hubbard's true belief system? That would be interesting to me.

See the posts above about the movies and specials. Also, do a YouTube search for L. Ron Hubbard's great grandson

Among the many hits you'll find this:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
At some point he told Issac Azimov that the best thing he could do would be to make up a religion.
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I remember when LRH's grandson's body was found in a car in the Nevada dessert, not far from Las Vegas. They said it was suicide. Scientologists then proceeded to slam his legacy too!

Quentin Hubbard

Quentin went to sea with Ron when he established the Sea Organization, living on the flagship Apollo and reaching the highest level of auditor training. He disagreed with his father's plans, sometimes saying that he wanted to be a pilot, and in 1974 that he would like to be a dancer. Soon after this, a friend found him in the midst of a suicide attempt. Quentin survived this attempt and was assigned to the Rehabilitation Project Force.

Former Scientologists have said that Quentin was homosexual, and that this clearly caused him a great deal of personal torment as Scientology doctrine classified homosexuals as "sexual pervert[s]" and "quite ill physically." Another source close to him claims that rumors of his homosexuality were due to him sometimes claiming to be that way in order to discourage women who were interested in him, to protect them from the consequences of his father's disapproval.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Seems like he brainwashed himself with all the BS he was pushing on people, tell the lie often enough and you start to believe it.

Thanks stosh. Yeah, this makes the most sense to me. Makes me wonder if we all don't do this a little bit, one way or another. Weave these tapestries of who we are and then live out our lives in the. I guess the tapestry Hubbard wove was just so outlandish that it took him over completely.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Thanks for that vid incoserv. Powerful.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutOmatIc
From HuffPo:

Alex Gibney's Scientology documentary "Going Clear" premiered on HBO last week, unveiling a slew of shocking allegations against the Church and previously unknown stories about the celebrities at its center. But just in case you missed the film, "Saturday Night Live" mocked the Church with a scathing fake ad.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The video:

The original that the spoof was based on:

Well done SNL, well done.

I seen it and thought it was funny as hell. The whole show was really good to my amazement. It was nice seeing Michael Keaton hosting.

top topics

join