It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Born Intolerent?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: iDope
a reply to: Entreri06

I think all forms of hate- intolerence- racism-sexism- are learned from environment (media, parents, peers, etc). Plus, unlike homosexuality, forms of hate can be dissipated over time through teaching and empathy training.

Can they really? There are plenty of cases of people who were not rehabilitable.
Can we learn not to act on our guy reactions? For the most part... But can you change that initial gut reaction.... I'm not so sure.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

I think all forms of hate- intolerence- racism-sexism- are learned from environment (media, parents, peers, etc). Plus, unlike homosexuality, forms of hate can be dissipated over time through teaching and empathy training.

Can they really? There are plenty of cases of people who were not rehabilitable.
Can we learn not to act on our guy reactions? For the most part... But can you change that initial gut reaction.... I'm not so sure.

Hate is a created concept. To hate something there must be viable reasons for doing so that also benefit you health, happiness, etc. hating a sound that gives a migraine, or a an image that makes you nauseated, or a person cause of their morals dont mix with yours, are all learned reactions. You must experience it first before deciding you hate it. Hate and dislike are very different. To hate a person means you either never want to see them by either removing them from the world or removing your self from their world. An initial gut reaction is likley your conscious mind sending signals through body as a result to a stimulus. If you hate the stimulus you either fight or flee. If it is a specific race, sexuality, etc. that your gut says "Hate," then over stimulate that feeling with practice to show your mind that the gut feeling of hate is not necessary. If you hate a race, you can try meeting one in that race and attempt a friendship or at least learn about them. Gradually a hatred towards a group will lessen by interacting closley with members of that group over time. Building a relationship with even one in that race will highly lessen the sterotypes given to the entire race.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

Hate is a created concept. To hate something there must be viable reasons for doing so that also benefit you health, happiness, etc. hating a sound that gives a migraine, or a an image that makes you nauseated, or a person cause of their morals dont mix with yours, are all learned reactions. You must experience it first before deciding you hate it. Hate and dislike are very different. To hate a person means you either never want to see them by either removing them from the world or removing your self from their world. An initial gut reaction is likley your conscious mind sending signals through body as a result to a stimulus. If you hate the stimulus you either fight or flee. If it is a specific race, sexuality, etc. that your gut says "Hate," then over stimulate that feeling with practice to show your mind that the gut feeling of hate is not necessary. If you hate a race, you can try meeting one in that race and attempt a friendship or at least learn about them. Gradually a hatred towards a group will lessen by interacting closley with members of that group over time. Building a relationship with even one in that race will highly lessen the sterotypes given to the entire race.

I'm not sure hate is even a fully human concept. Look at the savagery of some of the other apes. Hell, they even fight wars with tribe on tribe. I would be curious to know how far the less intelligent animals can push the love and hate envelope. Our concept of hate may be more defined, but can you really be sure an ape that rips apart a rivals offspring doesn't hate the kid? If so then that means hate has been around long before we were "teaching" each other such things.

Of course I'm not saying hate is cool! Just that it's prob part of our base wiring. So some ones who's homophobic might not really be to blame for the root of there intolerance. They could be blamed for any actions taken, but not there distaste.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I'm not sure hate is even a fully human concept. Look at the savagery of some of the other apes. Hell, they even fight wars with tribe on tribe. I would be curious to know how far the less intelligent animals can push the love and hate envelope. Our concept of hate may be more defined, but can you really be sure an ape that rips apart a rivals offspring doesn't hate the kid? If so then that means hate has been around long before we were "teaching" each other such things.

It's really hard to tell if animals other than humans hate other animals. We can't ask them if they hate another so we can only observe and relate their actions to our own and other animals. An ape may hate another tribe and try to kill the offspring because it is survival of the fittest. If the other apes are dead then there is less competition for food, land, mating, etc. So yes animals are violent in nature sure, but that doesn't mean it is caused by hate.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

It's really hard to tell if animals other than humans hate other animals. We can't ask them if they hate another so we can only observe and relate their actions to our own and other animals. An ape may hate another tribe and try to kill the offspring because it is survival of the fittest. If the other apes are dead then there is less competition for food, land, mating, etc. So yes animals are violent in nature sure, but that doesn't mean it is caused by hate.

Just to clarify the wars are with apes of the same species but different tribes. The babies ripped apart are within a single tribe. Not saying that changes anything.

If all we can do is watch actions then we would have to say they do feel (at least something close) love and hate. If they do then it's more of an issue of us learning not to hate then being taught to hate.

However I think if you raised a group of people in a vacuum with no interaction with "normal" people. I think love and hate both would spring up with out anyone to teach it to them.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

"Kids are very logical and empathetic" Exactly, intolerance is learned.

Exactly. Intolerance is learned
edit on 1-4-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join