It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Born Intolerent?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Cannibals raise cannibal children. Like father like son? How about monkey see monkey do?

Hard to break molds that kids are poured into.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
originally posted by: Entreri06

So we are genetically geared since cave man times to be good all loving liberals?!?

Really? Lol

Now your just being ridiculous and using logical fallacies.
i never implied man was always a "good all loving liberal"
Children are pretty tolerant of the differences in others. You would know this if you were more observant to the world around you.

So we just created all the evil of man out of whole cloth? We aren't evolutionarily geared to be tribal and are definitely geared to ask permission before boning some one... Exactly like all the other great apes?!?

Lol... Just lol....

you keep trying to make me sound stupid but its having an adverse reaction.
Yes, we are tribal creatures but that never stopped us from interacting in the distant past, look up ancient trade routes.
While im sure some of our human ancestors raped females, they eventually came to understand it was wrong,probably about the same time they started making laws against it

I'm talking about before trade routes. I'm talking before civilization at all. That's where most of evolutions work was done. Back when we were closer to apes then man. That's where our base instincts come from. Not the dark ages or roman times.

Also if you have only ever witnessed children be good and empathic, then your the one who hasn't been around children enough. Hell there have even been studies that show children are far more comfortable around similar looking kids... Aka there own race!

Do you even have children? Most parents have a far more realistic view of children then you seem to...

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
a reply to: Entreri06

What you wanted to achieve and what will be achieved are two different things

Too true, to true... Lol

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Cannibals raise cannibal children. Like father like son? How about monkey see monkey do?

It would be horrible to do of course, but to bad we can't raise a couple kids in a vacuum and see exactly what is instinct and what is learned....

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Kids seem to love everyone and want to be freinds with everyones - they're more interested in what your favourtie pokemon or whatever is than caring about sexuality.

Personally PDAs from hetero or homo couples make me feel equally as uncomfortable but that's for me to put up with as nothing is more important than love.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
MANY of us are repulsed by the Homosexual methods of sex.
IT ISN'T OUR PLACE to "FIX" them if that is what they want.
I don't want or need them to emulate me anyway..it 's WAY too hard.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

It would be horrible to do of course, but to bad we can't raise a couple kids in a vacuum and see exactly what is instinct and what is learned….

That easy, ones character is individual and habits are learned.

Chalres Manson does't pop out his mothers womb ready to kill, he is trained that way by a life time of prison culture.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

It would be horrible to do of course, but to bad we can't raise a couple kids in a vacuum and see exactly what is instinct and what is learned….

Chalres Manson does't pop out his mothers womb ready to kill, he is trained that way by a life time of prison culture.

Actually there are quite a few cases of "evil" children who weren't raised badly. There are multiple child killers TV documentaries.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Actually there are quite a few cases of "evil" children who weren't raised badly. There are multiple child killers TV documentaries.

Thats subjective. How do we know they "weren't raised badly"? Considering that babies are born knowing only life… something must have derailed their development.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Thats subjective. How do we know they "weren't raised badly"? Considering that babies are born knowing only life… something must have derailed their development.

See I don't think our brains wiring has the little to no effect that some others think. As if children are TRUELY blank pages with the brains set up having almost no effect. Like if some one doesn't have a brain disorder then there is nothing in there wiring that makes them who they are.

I think In ALOT of ways we are slaves to our wiring. Of course we can train ourselves to ignore or suppress it, but it's still there and still effects our lives.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

As if children are TRUELY blank pages with the brains set up having almost no effect.

Not what I meant.

Babies adopt the behavior they see around them. It may turn out they realize later in life what they learned goes against their grain, if you will.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Hell we are evolutionarily designed to club women and drag them back to our caves to rape them,

hmm...even a short lazy attempt to research the " caveman" will yield results that this is rubbish so I wont bother responding to any other part of your thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Babies for the most part are selfish and have to be taught to share and get along with others. Having raised a few, they hit, bite and enjoying pinching. They remind me of my two dogs, they get along fine until someone drops food on the floor, then it is all out battle royal. I think we are all born as self serving and we are then taught to get along.

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

As if children are TRUELY blank pages with the brains set up having almost no effect.

Not what I meant.

Babies adopt the behavior they see around them. It may turn out they realize later in life what they learned goes against their grain, if you will.

But wouldn't that go both ways? With both good and bad traits? Or is it only the lovie dovie traits? Some how all our bad traits are learned while we are born tolerant?

Are animals in nature tolerant? Are the apes that rip apart other males offspring role rent? Nope.

The questions not how we should act. I think any thinking person would agree shouldn't hurt each other's lives. The question is could some hetero males be just geared to be disgusted by male homosexuality? Where that gut turning initial shock, is just part of there wiring. Now civilization says you should never act on that reaction in a way that hurts other individuals, but still that be your "natural " reaction?

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: warpig69
Babies for the most part are selfish and have to be taught to share and get along with others. Having raised a few, they hit, bite and enjoying pinching. They remind me of my two dogs, they get along fine until someone drops food on the floor, then it is all out battle royal. I think we are all born as self serving and we are then taught to get along.

Boo Ya!

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
You bring up a good question with how our brains are wired to accept or not accept things. Here's my quick take on the subject of acceptance of homosexuality.

Imagine you are three years old and you've never seen a homosexual couple before. Lets just say you are used to your parents having a loving relationship. So you see a homosexual couple kissing for the first time. In my mind, there is a train of thoughts and emotions which you experience. First, given the situation and your background with heterosexual, loving parents, you see the homosexual couple kissing and become confused. You don't even know homosexuals exist at this point in your life, nor do you know what 'gay' or homosexual means. Coupled with confusion comes an internal response, whatever that may be. Being that age of three, you ask your parents about it because you always ask your parents about new things which you experience. Aside from your parents response, you're going to have your own initial emotional response which can very between acceptance or tolerance and as you mentioned, disgust. Your first homosexual experience from a third person perspective isn't going to be like your first Michael Jackson concert. A Michael Jackson concert puts you in the second person (i think) perspective because you are a participant. you can tell if you are having an appropriate reaction to what you are experiencing when you distinguish between third person perspective and second person perspective, because there is no reason for a third person perspective to feel the same level of disgust that you experience when you are in a second person perspective. Keep in mind, that a three year old child would be the perfect example of a true third person since they have not yet encountered so much of what exists in life. I can imagine a type of individual who would feel disgusted by their first homosexual observation. I don't see anything wrong with that. I can imagine an individual who would feel uncomfortable and have physical discomfort symptoms such as an upset stomach. These are normal reactions for a child that age. However, what is not normal is to observe a homosexual experience, such as kissing, and then become so emotionally disturbed and suffer a disconnect with reality which is still coming directly at you. If you develope hate, that is a sign that there is a disturbance occuring in that person. Interesting note, to feel disgusted in this third person scenario may actual be a sign of acceptance when compared to someone who developes a hateful internal response to the situation. A child feeling disgusted can simply change their thoughts to something else and be renowned in their childhood once again. But to feel hate, you simply cannot change that instantly.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Disgust is felt, intolerance is demonstrated through actions.

The former can be hard-wired, whereas the latter is most likely learned through experience.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Are animals in nature tolerant? Are the apes that rip apart other males offspring role rent? Nope.

You got footage of that. cause I've watched to all and never seen what you describe. Not among 'great' apes. But people kill babies all the time, so…

So do lions, The are glad to find a wildebeest immobilized during birth and throttle her before relishing the newborn calf. They aren't doing anything wrong or "evil" as you distinguish it.

Their world is different than the one we live in, and we should be intolerant to that amongst us fellow humans.

Unless you can show me a culture that throttles women during birth and consumes their newborn raw, on the spot…

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Are we born intolerant? LOL.

You hang around kids much? They don't have adult hang-ups before they are programmed with garbage by adults.

Kids are very logical and empathetic.

Oh boy those pesky adults and their garbage.

There were many thing no one warns kids about but when they them for the first time they know they were wrong.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I think all forms of hate- intolerence- racism-sexism- are learned from environment (media, parents, peers, etc). Plus, unlike homosexuality, forms of hate can be dissipated over time through teaching and empathy training.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join