It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart, Lowe's...Others Bankrolling a Nationwide Campaign to Gut Workers' Comp

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I understand this, but most of the content DOES come from the article. Your other sources show just background info on the organization.

Though keep in mind, I'm not siding against you. I just don't know if I trust that this is the full story. I'd say the same thing if your source was Fox News.
edit on 27-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't think we can deny this is happening, no matter who reports it.

The MJ story on Texas and Oklahoma contains facts as near as I could find. The lobby group exists and is active and supported my multiple corporations and is influencing government.

I have no reason to distrust their research. If you have any specifics, please do post them.

One thing I think all but the most blind cannot deny is that there is a systematic dismembering of the rights of the American working class. Things that people in the past fought so hard for and even gave their lives for to make others' lives easier and better in the future and that we benefited from are being systematically destroyed for profit.
edit on 3/27/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What I'd like to see is reform.
Reform of workman's comp, and all disability paid.
I am betting we all know at least one...and probably several people...who are fraudulently collecting benefits.

There is so much abuse....so many able-bodied people sitting on their butts....collecting on MY DIME.

Although I think this is wrong for big business....the system is obviously broken when so many collect that should be working.
Reform may be the answer.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Corporatocracy.

"Proudly tearing down the foundations of democracy brick by brick, since 1886."

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71's
And I know CNA's who had torn tendons, muscles, broken noses, spine injuries, who spent years in court trying to get compensation for continuing medical problems and bills. There are crooks everywhere. I would like to stop paying for that crooked QE bailout for the rich, but why punish the good investors who might through their goodness and mercy trickle it down.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Like I said, I'm not disagreeing with you. I was just more curious about the opposing side on this. Mother Jones claims they can't get figures on the statements saying that employees in Texas and Oklahoma are happier and better off. I wonder about that.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Agree 1000% on the abuse. I'm sure it exists...there's always abuse. However, I personally know more people who need it got hurt and now have permanent disabilities (now, as the "system" stands today) who need help and cannot get it than those who abuse it. That being said, abusers are usually pretty sneaky about it so that doesn't surprise me.

This path, though, where someone profits even more and the people will most probably benefit even less would also be just about as open to abuse, and it would not be the path I'd choose for us. If I ruled the world and all.....
edit on 3/27/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I know you're not. And I'd like to see facts and such as well.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Well, you've done something for your opinion on the topic, but really nothing for me. You rant about these evil corporations, but you neglect to see the "why" (or, at least, discuss it constructively) behind this:

First they came for your unions (not true, they came for freedom of the worker to choose if they want to be in a union). Then they came for your pensions (this needs further explanation). Then they shipped your jobs overseas (because corporate tax rates and union demands and insurance demands create a horrifically expensive work environment in America).

Then for those they couldn't ship overseas, they cut hours(response to Obamacare mandates), kept wages unlivably low (this is hyperbole...it's okay to have to work more than one job when you don't have the education or skills to be viable with one), and cut benefits (remember, "benefits" are perks, not mandated necessities from an employer...well, used to not be, anyhow), or made you work longer and harder for less money (nobody "makes" anyone work for any hours or any wage...don't like your job, find a new one).

Italicised parts are my contribution, obviously.

Your OP is full of ideology, opinions, and some misinformation. Like I said, this post has only done something for your opinion--which is fine--but just don't pretend like you've presented all sides of the story.

ETA: Like KrazyShot said, it's just lacking an opposing viewpoint.
edit on 27-3-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I am in Texas and work in insurance. The option to be a non-subscriber has existed in Texas since I got into the industry in the 70s. The only time it was heavily used was in the late 80s because obtaining WC was almost impossible. Markets would not write coverage in Texas. I helped put some of those programs together and they had to be approved by the state. The plans generally paid the same benefits as WC but they put in ways to help eliminate the abuse. As soon as markets returned to Texas the majority went back to WC. Now about the only ones that opt out are sole proprietors with no employees.

The other side of the coin in Texas is if you opt out you give up all common law defenses. WC, if purchased, is the sole remedy for benefits and in most cases the employee cannot sue. If the employer opts out then the employee can sue and the employer has no defense.

Also, in Texas, the employee has the option to opt out of WC even if the employer buys the coverage.

Having an alternative doesn't necessarily mean the employees will get screwed but it could mean the competition would help in the costs of the WC market.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Well, you've done something for your opinion on the topic, but really nothing for me. You rant about these evil corporations, but you neglect to see the "why" (or, at least, discuss it constructively) behind this:

First they came for your unions (not true, they came for freedom of the worker to choose if they want to be in a union). Then they came for your pensions (this needs further explanation). Then they shipped your jobs overseas (because corporate tax rates and union demands and insurance demands create a horrifically expensive work environment in America).

Then for those they couldn't ship overseas, they cut hours(response to Obamacare mandates), kept wages unlivably low (this is hyperbole...it's okay to have to work more than one job when you don't have the education or skills to be viable with one), and cut benefits (remember, "benefits" are perks, not mandated necessities from an employer...well, used to not be, anyhow), or made you work longer and harder for less money (nobody "makes" anyone work for any hours or any wage...don't like your job, find a new one).

Italicised parts are my contribution, obviously.

Your OP is full of ideology, opinions, and some misinformation. Like I said, this post has only done something for your opinion--which is fine--but just don't pretend like you've presented all sides of the story.

ETA: Like KrazyShot said, it's just lacking an opposing viewpoint.

The parts you italicized are reality not hyperbole. What is the other side ot this? Hmmm? You've done less than I have to show that.

And just go ahead and admit you didn't click a single link originally before you made your broadsweeping accusation. If you think there is another side and that this is a benevolent move on their part, let's see it.
edit on 3/27/2015 by ~Lucidity because: typo

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

This is outrageous! Thanks for the post OP

Rebel 5

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Yes, there's always abuse of anything. But what about the genuine accidents with injuries that put an employee out of commission through no fault of their own or as the negligence of others?

Mr. Cheddarhead works at Walmart and at the time was working in the bakery. A young coworker who was in a big damn hurry to finish up and leave to go party on the 4th of July did an incredibly sloppy job mopping the floor, as in leaving puddles of standing water on a tile floor. Mr. C reached across the counter to get a loaf of bread that a customer wanted sliced, slid on the floor, did the splits, landing on one of his shiny new knee replacements. EMT's were called because Mr. C couldn't get up and they were pretty sure he had broken a hip.

LoNg story short, he didn't break his hip, thankfully, and passed the pee test that Walmart insists on, but he did crack the part of his knee cap that had been attached to the implant. The orthopedic surgeon said it wasn't something that needed immediate action, but it's all documented in the medical records.

It not right to refuse to cover something like that. And now that half the country is now Right to Work, what happens if employers decide that they're not going to pay for sick days either if a worker is incapacitated?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
And since The Big Corps Pretty Much Own our Government, the Corporate Politicians pretty much go right along with it.

www.opensecrets.org...

Political CONTRIBUTIONS
$17,118,262

LOBBYING
$61,985,000

REVOLVING DOOR
76 out of 103 Wal-Mart Stores lobbyists in 2013-2014 have previously held government jobs.

Where does the Corporate Exec end and the Politician Begin because I cannot tell.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

It is Fascism that has taken hold in this country.
The Corporate Fascists want more power for themselves and less power for everyone else.
We are moving into a new era where Multinational Corporations rule the world with no pesky national interests to restrain them while the citizens of all countries on the other hand are being regulated more and having rights and freedoms taken away.

This 14 point list lays it right out and expands on each point at the website

www.rense.com...

1.) Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
Nationalism for everyone and Globalism for Corporations.
2.) Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
3.) Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
4.) Supremacy of the Military
Expansion of Global Military to protect Global Markets for Multinational Corporations at American Tax Payer Expense
5.) Rampant Sexism
6.) Corporate Controlled Mass Media
7.) Obsession with National Security
8.) Religion and Government are Intertwined
9.) Corporate Power is Protected
10.) Labor Power is Suppressed:
11.) Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
12.) Obsession with Crime and Punishment
Police State and growing Prison Population attest to this
13.) Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
14. Fraudulent Elections

Most points need no further elaboration

edit on 27-3-2015 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

You are putting the cart before the horse.
Labor Unions have been with us forever but "Free" Trade Pacts, TPP and so on thanks to Corporate Lobbyists have sold out our nation.
Union Pay can no longer be afforded when you have the whole world as your "Free" Market without nationalist restraints.

A lot of Corporations moved to Commie China when the economy was doing great and profits were good in the 90's.
If 1 million dollars in profit is good then 10 million is even better utilizing commie labor.

Tell me, when is it enough profits?
Give me a number

1 Million, 10 Million, a billion?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The customer service is going to take a dive. The people will probably be looking for another job and just go through the motions until then. Buy some spray paint and write in the parking lot, 'You don't care if we get hurt, we won't do # that may put us in a position that may'.

We're just little bit away from third world. Will we see people diving off buildings and the government putting up safety nets?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
That's what happens when people allow unions to grow weaker. The "War on Unions" run by the Republicans and their major funders (I call them "the Kochs") undercuts everyone, union member or not. Going after workmen's comp? Thieves an crooks, picking your pocket from the right and the left. Wanting to further disembowel their workers - the people who make them what they are - reveals mindsets which, while corporate in nature, probably contain some form of mental illness and a pathological lack of empathy.

Correction... Unions allowed unions to grow weaker when they stopped properly representing. Lots of people began to dislike unions when they began to discover the self serving attitude the unions began to take. Sure the companies allowed that sentiment to foster. That isnt heir fault.

But someone point me to something the unions did en masse' to benefit their members more recently.

You know, something that didnt help the company shut down facilities or help cause massive layoffs.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

Correction... Unions allowed unions to grow weaker when they stopped properly representing. Lots of people began to dislike unions when they began to discover the self serving attitude the unions began to take. Sure the companies allowed that sentiment to foster. That isnt heir fault.

But someone point me to something the unions did en masse' to benefit their members more recently.

You know, something that didnt help the company shut down facilities or help cause massive layoffs.

I used to be Anti Union when you looked at the Cronyism and Excessive Pay the top gave themselves at their members expense.
Then I looked at the Cronyism and Top Pay the Execs and Bankers give themselves and realized the corruption is not limited to just the evil Unions.

Union Pay for the workers is usually higher for the same work than for non unions so clearly the working class benefited from it.

So, who to support? Corrupt Big Corporations in bed with the Government stomping on workers to fatten they and their cronies bottom line or Corrupt Big Union Leaders working for their members and their pockets as well?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I have seen a strange one here in calif.

A veteran was injured on a job site.

The worker comp doctors claim the veteran is fully recovered.

But the veteran also goes to the VA for treatment and the doctors there say the veteran can never go back to the type of work he was injured on.
The veteran has hired a lawyer and is taking it to court.

Since the VA doctors are government doctors and have no interest in gain from the injured veteran and many judges are veterans i wonder who will win.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join