It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how russell wolfe reacts to diagnosis of ALS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
hi - the TL;DR synopsis is that prominent christian movie maker [ gods not dead ] , russell wolfe was diagnosed with ALS in 2014

now heres the kicker - he both publically states that he believes god will cure him AND begs for donations to cover his medical expenses [ currently nearly $400k and ongoing ]

while not wishing his condition on him or anyone else - just WTF ?????

in my opinion this case encapsulates all the flaws of religion [ the relevant ones being ] :

1 - begging other people to pay for his medical treatment

2 - beleif that god will cure him - but not eschewing medical treatment

3 [ my prediction ] - that when he dies the " god works in mysterious ways " canard will be hauled out

4 - the systemic failure of religion to promote // support science

5 - the demand that other people pray for him ( why ? )

i hope he gains remission from ALS - but if he does i predict it will be due to science - not divine intervention [ cue the claim " god caused the scientific cure " ]

the last opinion i have on this is :

what if all organised religions stopped spending money on themselves and self agrandisement - and ploughed all profits into scientific research and advancement of secular education ? a better world ??? - it couldnt be worse

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Did he explain what he did to cause the ALS in the first place? Or maybe it was Satan or the gays?
I think he wasn't praying hard enough to ward off the evil spirits. Now that he's been struck by lightning, he's certainly preying harder.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass

Did he explain what he did to cause the ALS in the first place? Or maybe it was Satan or the gays?
I think he wasn't praying hard enough to ward off the evil spirits. Now that he's been struck by lightning, he's certainly preying harder.

Wow....

Despite a person's religious beliefs, it amazes me how some people can have such a callous and cruel attitude towards someone who has a disease.

People deal with hardships like this in their own way - he is a Christian so he turns to God.

Very sad response to someone who has a bad problem.

edit on 23-3-2015 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

hi - the TL;DR synopsis is that prominent christian movie maker [ gods not dead ] , russell wolfe was diagnosed with ALS in 2014

now heres the kicker - he both publically states that he believes god will cure him AND begs for donations to cover his medical expenses [ currently nearly $400k and ongoing ]

while not wishing his condition on him or anyone else - just WTF ?????

in my opinion this case encapsulates all the flaws of religion [ the relevant ones being ] :

1 - begging other people to pay for his medical treatment

2 - beleif that god will cure him - but not eschewing medical treatment

3 [ my prediction ] - that when he dies the " god works in mysterious ways " canard will be hauled out

4 - the systemic failure of religion to promote // support science

5 - the demand that other people pray for him ( why ? )

i hope he gains remission from ALS - but if he does i predict it will be due to science - not divine intervention [ cue the claim " god caused the scientific cure " ]

the last opinion i have on this is :

what if all organised religions stopped spending money on themselves and self agrandisement - and ploughed all profits into scientific research and advancement of secular education ? a better world ??? - it couldnt be worse

1. There is nothing wrong with asking for help from people. He will probably get the help he has asked for. Christianity promotes asking from help from your brothers and sisters.

2. Why can't he believe God can cure him and utilize the medical system? This doesn't make him a hypocrite. I have heard many stories about how God can guide people’s hands – why not a doctor’s hands? It's all about faith, which is the foundation of every religious belief.

3. You are probably right. But people deal with grief in their own way. This "card" is actually a deeply held belief by many Christians. The bible is rich with stories of how God wouldn't answer certain prayers and how all things work towards his glory - even if we don't understand them in our childlike mentality.

4. Many religious people aren’t scientists. Some scientists and mathematicians have said that science supports the existence of God. This statement is very choosey on evidence.

5. Demand? That word has very forceful connotations when he just asks. Many Christians believe in group prayer. It helps unify us in our faith. Nothing wrong with this.

If he does gain remission from ALS it will probably be from science. But from a philosophical standpoint, if everything exists within the realm of God, then all things (considering it science or not) is divine.

If all organized religions did this it could be an interesting world – but then again, you could say the same thing about the amount of money people spend on football or basketball – where is your outcry against those organizations?

edit on 23-3-2015 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Considering at present that ALS is a disease that like migraine cannot be cured only treated, there is no inconsistency between believing that God might cure you while asking for help with your treatment. The best that science and medicine can do is treat your symptoms and maybe slow your progression, but there is no cure.

I do it all the time with migraine, I pray God might see fit to end them but I rely on the best human medicine can provide to alleviate the symptoms. Maybe someday there will be a human medical cure, but given the genetic and highly individual nature of the problem, I doubt it will be in my lifetime.

For someone with ALS, they are in a similar circumstance.
edit on 23-3-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I wonder how he and other Christians, who may contribute to his treatment, feel about the fact that some of the most effective treatments for ALS come from stem cell research?

edit on 23-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

Welcome to the real world.

The place where your countless hours of praying, judging and prothletising come to an unceremonious end. This is the place where you live your life and struggle with the rest of the occupants of this dust speck. The place where you ask your fellow humans for help and usually get it.

I did not create this situation, ridicule the disease, nor did I create the astounding irony of this story. I have seen many healthy happy people praise their imaginary friend. But it turns ugly when they watch great people be struck down with disease in their youth. Not dead mind you. Doomed to a bed or wheelchair slowly rotting from within. As a child, I assumed God hated me. Then I grew up.

I don't know you but I guess here's where you say something even more ironic like: "Golly, a world without God is just not worth living in the first place."

Maybe there is a win-win in there somewhere?

(post by Bone75 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

My friend suffered from migraine headaches for years. He recently went and got botox injections. From my understanding it was injected into certain areas in his scalp. Anyway, he was very pleased with the results. If you still suffer, you might want to look into the treatment. Yay for botulism (as long as it's not ingested) Peace to ya!

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

now you have thrown out the obligitory ad-hom. - care to address the topic ?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

I wonder how he and other Christians, who may contribute to his treatment, feel about the fact that some of the most effective treatments for ALS come from stem cell research?

He incarnated not knowing he was going to suffer this disease; why does he not know the fundamentals of 'incarnation' (that is to figure out why he incarnated in the first place HIS CONTRACT HE MADE; the lessons to be learned HE SPECIFIED IN THIS INCARNATION) he didn't do the work necessary YET and fails BIG TIME on his own life path journey. Hard to believe actually; has no clue (this is not Karmic retribution).
edit on 23-3-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: MentorsRiddle

1 - why should " random people " pay his medical expences ???

2 - my point is - if " god " is going to cure mr wolfe - get the hell on with it - its been over 15 months now

3 - i decry the notion that your imaginary friend gains " glory " from torturing people to death

4 - religion ACTIVLY holds back science [ stem cell research - as cited up thread is the biggest current example ] -i didnt include this in my OP as i could not find a cite for mr wolfes views on stem cell research

5 - what is the effectivness of "blind "prayer [ ie when the recipient is unaware of it ] and yes studies have been done

6 - nice cop out - so ALS is " divine " too ????????????? thanks " god "

7 - nice deflection , my outcry against the the money spent on sports is not vented in a thread on religion

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Dude incarnated knowing he was going to suffer or potentially die of ALS (he has not figured this one out YET?) its NOT ON ANYONE to bear his burden. Do you understand? He signed up for the diagnosis/disease ALONE; by himself. This is how it works; there are no accidents regarding one's own FATE and Destiny; otherwise I call their tearful 'FAUSE fouls' a [well I had no idea] (can I get out of this somehow) a blatant Cry Baby Play, as he should have figured this one out; point of purpose for this life lived IS?
edit on 25-3-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

top topics

join