It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something you probably dont realize

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I drive for a living now. I guess you could call me a glorified cab driver with a fancy car. Providence Rhode Island is my base city, but of course my job does take me all over the state.

One of my jobs involves doing state work. Picking folks up and taking them to dialysis and some other things. It is one of the "Other Things" that I am here to share with you that you may not even realize.

I pick up quite a few clients that need to be taken to get their "Dose."
What this actually means is that I am taken them to get their dose of methadone. For some it is for pain management and for others, it is to help them get off other drugs such as heroin etc.. I have seen many different reactions from my clients once they have taken their dose. From being hyper to nodding off in my car on the way home.

The thing that needs to mentioned here though, is the fact that while I am waiting on my clients there are probably at least a minimum of 5-6 other people to my one that get into their cars and just drive away after getting their dose.

Now keep in mind I only go to about 11 of these different clinics, but that is nowhere near the number of how many there actually are just in this state. I also may make 3-4 trip with different people in the morning and at some of these stops there are lines of people out the door waiting.

If you start thinking about these numbers and how they add up to how many people are driving around "medicated" on this stuff, it does become a bit scary to think about. I have seen pretty much a full spectrum from the very old, too people taking their kids in with them then getting back in the car and driving off dosed with the kids.

So, we have major outrage about people drinking and driving, and now they are getting all concerned with people smoking pot and driving, where is the outrage of this particular situation? How many accidents you think have happened because of this issue yet you don't hear about it, or it is called under the influence of any other name they choose to use?

These are state regulated places and of course the state gets their kickback. Why would they want to let this little cat out of the bag?

A lot of these people that get it for pain management actually go to work after their dose. Which means others are working along side them probably oblivious that the person working next to them is legally high. that could be a concern to someone that needs to be able to count on their partner in a dangerous type job.

This is just one little state. Imagine the numbers when you start thinking about all the states and just how many places there are of these and just how many people are on the road in this state of mind.

Maybe that person you see driving like a idiot now you will think twice about. After all it could be that the state thinks its just fine that they are in that condition. They got their money, the hell with your safety.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

And the taxpayers fund it all.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Methadone isn't known for impairing driving.

It has an absolutely sinister past though. source

remember IG Farben?

Forced human experimentation in concentration camps. They sacrificed some patsies and were allowed to change names and stay in business.

Pharma sees that heroin market and they want more customers (lifers). It's more addictive than heroin but it's legal for the licensed pill pushers.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I've been saying this for a while. There is a growing problem of people driving on prescription painkillers and other medications that is FAR outstripping the drunk driving problem and eclipses the driving on marijuana argument to the point that it just makes it look silly.
edit on 23-3-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Wow.
I just did a little search and found that there are 48 different cities in Pennsylvania listed as having at least one methadone center.
I clicked on Philadelphia.... there are 26 different ones listed for Philadelphia alone.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Well in my experience methadone makes you more active and alert. Can you tell me why this makes you worry about them driving?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I stopped driving 2 years ago due to the medication I must take daily. I simply will not endanger others. But I know several people leave my rheumatologists office and drive off.

We all must take personal responsibility for our decisions.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
After working at a pharmacy that dispensed methadone for years, I've rarely seen clients have such an adverse reaction that their driving would be impaired. At my work , the clients were required to stay in the clinic where they had taken their dose for at least ten minutes, in which any reactions would have presented themselves.

I think this OP stigmatizes people who are trying to manage their drug addiction. Yes, it is a tax payer cost, and yes, a lot of methadone patients relapse, but I commend them for trying.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I don't know anyone that has recovered from their drug addiction using methadone. Its evil

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I am on methadone. If it is making people "nod off" their dose is way too high.

edit on 23-3-2015 by Razmijix because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
After working at a pharmacy that dispensed methadone for years, I've rarely seen clients have such an adverse reaction that their driving would be impaired. At my work , the clients were required to stay in the clinic where they had taken their dose for at least ten minutes, in which any reactions would have presented themselves.

I think this OP stigmatizes people who are trying to manage their drug addiction. Yes, it is a tax payer cost, and yes, a lot of methadone patients relapse, but I commend them for trying.

I am far from stigmatizing anyone about this. I also agree with good for them for trying. I am merely pointing out that this is going on. From what I have seen, the patients do not wait a 10 minute period. They move them in and out like cattle basically.
As far as reactions, as I have mentioned I have seen from one extreme to the other. Wide awake to sound asleep. I can not control the dose they are given. I just drive them. As many I have had sleep afterwards though tells me there is probably a problem with too many high doses that aren't being paid attention too. So there are probably more than you think not wide awake and driving around.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Yes indeed they do. I know of one example the tax payer pay for. There is a customer that lives in Fall River that must be taken all the way to Providence because none of the clinics where she lives will accept her anymore. While that is a great fare for the driver, 120 round trip, 7 days a week, the tax payers paid for it. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy? This is just one person.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
I don't know anyone that has recovered from their drug addiction using methadone. Its evil

Yes and being a bureaucracy it is nearly impossible for the 'carefully' mass prescribed solution du jour to not be the only option available.

I have heard that psilocybin and psilocin have been successfully prescribed to 'cure' some addictions including alcohol.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I think those clinics should be looked into then. I have never seen anything you're talking about. Everyone I know drives themselves to the clinic with no issue at all.
Nerve medications are the real problem.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I am not an addict so I am on the outside making an observation about what I see, I just see them trading one drug for another really. I even see an illegal market of people selling methadone and symboxin (or however that's spelled)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman

Yes indeed they do. I know of one example the tax payer pay for. There is a customer that lives in Fall River that must be taken all the way to Providence because none of the clinics where she lives will accept her anymore. While that is a great fare for the driver, 120 round trip, 7 days a week, the tax payers paid for it. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy? This is just one person.

Yeah, it is crazy here too, we are spending nearly a half billion annually on putting homeless people in hotels overnight in perpetuity, ad infinitum with no plan or mechanism to break free. I wonder who owns those hotels?

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

I am not an addict so I am on the outside making an observation about what I see, I just see them trading one drug for another really. I even see an illegal market of people selling methadone and symboxin (or however that's spelled)

Yeah, I don't know enough about it either but I can't imagine that a synthetic opiate developed for pharmacological interrogation could be all that good for you. I just go by the results anyway and the results are not impressive.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

You are correct. Sadly it does happen. Some people go to these clinics for a cheap pain management and some go for help.
Methadone does work. It has helped me tremendously.

All it takes are a few bad apples to make the rest look bad.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Razmijix
a reply to: Brotherman

You are correct. Sadly it does happen. Some people go to these clinics for a cheap pain management and some go for help.
Methadone does work. It has helped me tremendously.

All it takes are a few bad apples to make the rest look bad.

I am glad to hear that it has been helpful to you, cheers

I just realized that maybe the beer mug is not the best icon for this thread.

edit on 23-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I wouldn't normally reply to these issues but I believe you're over inflating reality. I've brought my Brother to the clinic many times and he's no different a person 2 hours later than before he went in. I do see many are brought by other folks, so I would be sure that some, not all, are affected as you say. With that said, I can get a six pack numerous times a day....There are other dangerous people on the road, as we all know. Thank you for devoting your time to helping those in need. As you do for them, you do for us ALL. LOVE.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: I always think of something else to add or change after I've already posted. It's an illness.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join