It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wine Found to Contain Arsenic Poison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
In L.A, three independent laboratories have tested certain wines - and found them to contain arsenic which is 500 percent higher than what is considered safe. A lawsuit has been filed.

Brian Kabateck, lead attorney, said the levels were originally found in tests done by the head of the Denver-based lab BeverageGrades.

‘He decided to test 1,306 bottles of wine representing more than 75 percent of the wine consumed in the U.S.’ Kabateck said. ‘Out of those he found 83 that had excessive arsenic levels.’

Full article here: metro.co.uk...

edit on 22-3-2015 by AlmostRosey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

Some tannins contain lead as well.

Never liked the taste of wine.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   

way beyond bad but are we surprised?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I smell a population control conspiracy.....or a get rid of the homeless conspiracy....or both.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Pesticides...
It´s not only Wine, there is in rice too.

Last week Uncle Ben´s Jasmine rice were in the news here ( among others ) because they have more arsenic that EU sees safe. There were other brands too
PDF

I guess arsenic is and will be a problem for a long time...
edit on 22-3-2015 by dollukka because: typo

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Probably due to the Wine Law and the ATF.

If you dig deep enough, you can always find a regulator's approval behind substandard products and services.
edit on 22-3-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
According to Live Science:

The most significant source of arsenic in most people's diets is drinking water. The new study is the first to take into account the levels of arsenic in the participants' household water when looking at the amount of arsenic coming from foods.

The results suggest that diet can be an important source of people's arsenic exposure over the long term, regardless of arsenic concentrations in their drinking water, the researchers said.

The element arsenic occurs naturally in the environment. Long-term exposure to arsenic, even at low levels, has been linked to increased risks of bladder, lung and skin cancer, as well as type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) limits the arsenic in drinking water to 10 micrograms per litter for drinking water, but there are few limits set for food.

That's from:m.livescience.com...

And also from Live Science:

Long term exposure to low doses of arsenic may change the way cells communicate, and reduce their ability to function, according to researchers at Dartmouth University. It could play a role in the development of diabetes, cancer, vascular disease and lung disease.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I wonder if that they all seem to be what one would call "budget wines" has anything to do with it or is it just that those wines were the only ones tested?

Could there be a drastic difference in the amount of arsenic maybe found in American Oak compared to French?

For people who enjoy wine it definitely would make me ponder my next purchases!

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
i cant remember...
is arsenic the one that can stay in your system and slowly build up over time?
you can be killed by arsenic over a period of time?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
But it's NATURAL!

You get it from some water supplies. Some wells just have arsenic in them, because it's there in the ground. Most drinking water has SOME arsenic, the same way it has SOME lithium or whatnot.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
i cant remember...
is arsenic the one that can stay in your system and slowly build up over time?
you can be killed by arsenic over a period of time?

I believe it is dangerous if taken long-term. So I guess you're right.
If exposed to certain levels long-term, that's when diabetes, lung cancer etc comes into play (according to Live Science, anyway).

It is a natural element. I think the issue of health hazards comes into play with the amount and duration of exposure.
edit on 22-3-2015 by AlmostRosey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well, the good news is that it is a self solving problem.

And while one dies, they're drunk... there are worse ways to go... bottom's up (and then have a drink, heh).

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I'm thinking lead arsenate. It was a common insecticide used in orchards. it was officially banned in 1988 in the US. However, the lead & arsenic stay in the soil and are taken up by the plants.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mistressofspice
I'm thinking lead arsenate.

Most likely. As far back as the early 1900's, it was causing too much lead and arsenic in wine.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
I smell a population control conspiracy.....or a get rid of the homeless conspiracy....or both.

I find an error in that conspiracy.

Homeless tend not to be the problem. They are the symptom.

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Well I'm doomed. It's my drink of choice! Will search for a list of toxic wines....

posted on Mar, 23 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TacticalStats

So sorry for your loss.
Or maybe not. Is Arsenic an Aphrodiasiac?
I can't quote from it, but it looks at the use of Arsenic in different cultures and times. Looks like we've been eating it since the invention of mining minerals.
How do you feel when you drink it? Did it put a bloom in your cheeks? At 1.3 in the book, there is a list of why they took it. Sounds almost like Coca.

posted on Mar, 24 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

top topics

join