It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Feedback on New Video Book trailer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hello! I have been sharing my progressing journey through 'self-publishing land' here on ATS, and so it's only natural that I turn to you guys for some valuable feedback!

Book trailers have been gaining in popularity, and so I decided to take the plunge! The following is what I have come up (so far) and I need your honest opinion as to what you think of it. If you aren't familiar with this concept, it's where you put together images and dialogue to promote a book (or book series) much like a movie trailer (only not usually animated). This is a first-run, and my goal is to eventually get some help in filming a live-action trailer with professional editing, etc.

edit on 19-3-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: westcoast

Links not working,but sounds a cool idea-re up load the vid or something.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

(Nevermind...I figured it out.
)

AGHHH!

Okay, so how Youtube links are added has changed since I did it last. Anyone know the secret???
edit on 19-3-2015 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Hey It works now-thats cool,Just enough infor to get people interested without giving away any crucial plot details.
Good job.

I remember your thread about the first book of the trilogy-well done for writing the rest-I still would like to read them,but not got a kindle yet.

edit on 19/3/2015 by Silcone Synapse because: diff info added

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I fixed it! Got it figured out just before you told me.
It used to be a longer #

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Yep,its looking good now,I ammended my above post when I sussed out you fixed it.
Good job.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I have worked on numerous book trailers, both as an actor and behind the camera, for both writers and publishers.

For a first effort that was great! My suggestions would be to lose the transitions between clips, a simple wipe or cut would be better. Those type of transitions are viewed as corny and unprofessional by most film makers.
You obviously have a good sense of story and it showed in the trailer and it highlighted your work perfectly. Good rhythm and pacing and it was exactly the right length without dragging.

Perhaps you might consider a screenplay...You have a great start as a film maker.

This software is what we use for our festival shorts, commercials and features.

www.celtx.com...

You can see some of our work here....

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 19-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Wow! I thought it was excellent! The book series sounds awesome!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try those changes. I'll also check out your thread and videos. This is all new ground for me.

I would actually love to make my trilogy into a screenplay, and I plan on pursuing it at some point.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Wow! I thought it was excellent! The book series sounds awesome!

Thanks, Nightstar!!

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Oh, good thing I came back, I forgot to flag and star. Ok, now I did. I don't know why, but I do that so often.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

As a graphic designer by trade, I'd recomment no using the font "Papyrus" for anything...really, ever, but especially, for the body copy of the trailer. Stick to something a bit more classic and professional if you're wanting this to come across a bit better in the looks department. I'd also lose the text animations and just have the text appear and disappear--generally speaking, those things act as a distraction much more than they help create a polished, professional piece.

Otherwise, it's pretty good overall. It doesn't look bad right now, but I think my suggestions will just help give it a more polished look.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Thank you! I will definitely be using your suggestions. I'm sure it's obvious that I have NO graphic design background.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You're doing better than some people I know who are "graphic designers," so don't be too hard on yourself. Just keep in mind that, when all else fails (like Papyrus, or Comic Sans, or Gils Sans Ultra Bold, or Hobo), just use something simple and clean.

Also, there used to be (just realized it was closed when I went to copy the URL
) a website called "Creattica," and it was a site where peopel could post stuf they created across all types of platforms (websites, video, layout, infographics, illustration, etc.). From their closed site, there are a few links you can try to see if they give you any inspiration:

httpster.net...
designspiration.net...
niice.co...

I can't vouch for any of these sites yet. Good luck!
edit on 20-3-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Well, I used your suggestions, and those by Olaru and cleaned it up a bit. I also changed the music, because after listening to it several times, I was already getting irritated by it.

Here is the new one. (I jumped the gun a bit and erased the old one, when I should have probably left it...oh well.)

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Ooh, I like it! Really nicely done indeed!

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

That was great!! Made me want to read your book....!!

Music, pacing, editing were all working together very effectively.
I don't know what platform you are going to use for it to be seen, but it should work well anywhere.

If you ever want to write a short screenplay, I would like to read it!

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Thanks you guys! I think your suggestions definitely made it better. (less corny)

Olaru12 - I will keep you in mind, for sure! First, I have to learn how to even write a screenplay....but I'm stubborn, so I can probably figure it out!

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I think it looks much better now...only thing I would do is change that last bit about getting it on Amazon...it's still in Papyrus.

top topics

join