It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Development of "Mind Reading" Machines - How this could be abused -

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It sounds like something from the realm of science fiction, but there are reasons to believe that so-called mind reading machines may be a reality in the future. According to an article in The Telegraph, scientists at the University of California have been testing a device which can essentially convert thoughts into words - with surprising success.

Whilst this is encouraging and exciting news for those who have the inability to speak - whether through disability, disease or trauma - concerns have been raised by cynics of this scientific breakthrough. One anonymous commentator put it this way:

"I am not surprised by this technology. It's the final design to destroy the last freedom we have left that makes us individuals - our inner thoughts."

How does this technology work? Brian Pasley, one of the scientists working on the project, described it as "decoding brain activity", by measuring changes in ourbrains whilst thinking of certain things. During early experiments, test subjects were played several recordings, including nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty, speeches by John F Kennedy and the Gettysbury Address. Brain activity was monitored as those being tested read aloud texts, and again when they silently read the same passages back to themselves. From this, researchers were able to essentially tell which words were being thought through neurological imaging alone.

Of the mind reading project, Pasley said that tests were being done with those who have locked-in syndrome (leaving an individual unable to communicate though speech) and had been working on it since 2011:

'If you're reading text in a newspaper or book, you hear a voice in your own head,' Brian Pasley told New Scientist . 'We're trying to decode the brain activity related to that voice to create a medical prosthesis that can allow someone who is paralysed or locked in to speak.'

Whilst this will improve the quality of life of many people, there are concerns that it could be abused, or used to control people, if such technology was to fall into the wrong hands, or was to become widely available. Whether justified or not, many cite how impossible freedom would be to attain - if this technology was to become widely used. A machine that can potentially tap into the private thoughts of somebody is an uncomfortable idea to many. Already, there have been concerns over the lack of personal privacy through mediums such as television (the Samsung TV said to be able to record what you're saying in your own living room), or the nature of personal data being collected and stored by online websites and social networks (Google having recently been fined for breaching privacy laws) so this revolutionary idea of mind reading leaves many feeling wary.

According to Pasley, this technology is still in it's developmental stage and cannot be used outside the lab."It's preliminary data, and we're still working on making it better," he said to New Scientist magazine.

Despite many being concerned about the concept of a machine that can translate thoughts into words, this is being hailed as a breakthrough. Those with locked-in syndrome, or similar health problems, would be able to express how they feel, what they want and need. No longer would distraught relatives be cut off from communicating with their loved ones, and the quality of the lives of those who suffer with this condition would be greatly improved. Should any conspiracy theory or fear stop this advancement, when we can put a stop to the silent suffering of many? For those living with the reality of locked-in syndrome, and their families, surely the answer is a resounding no. Yet for those concerned with where technology like this can potentially lead, it isn't so easy to answer.

I would love to know your thoughts about this, and if technology of this nature worries you. I know I have very mixed feelings.

News Links:

Daily Mail: www.dailymail.co.uk...

The Japan Times: www.japantimes.co.jp...

The Verge: www.theverge.com...

edit on 15-3-2015 by AlmostRosey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   
You just need to read the book 1984 by George Orwell to get a feeling of how wrong this could go.

How would we manage this? What protocols would be set in place to ensure that our most private inner thoughts stayed private?
What about the multitudes of times in our lives when we think about doing something wrong, but in the end stop ourselves? When would the point of intervention be called?

It's a slippery slope this path......

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
All politicians should be forced to have this used on them. We may get some truth from them then!

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
You just need to read the book 1984 by George Orwell to get a feeling of how wrong this could go.

How would we manage this? What protocols would be set in place to ensure that our most private inner thoughts stayed private?
What about the multitudes of times in our lives when we think about doing something wrong, but in the end stop ourselves? When would the point of intervention be called?

It's a slippery slope this path......

And thus, aluminum foil hats or hats lined with it become a norm. I need a lobbyist to try to ban any state official from wearing a hat while in office at least at work or on TV, as it is unprofessional. Noone would object now, but we cannot wait too long.

What about when we dream. If I dream of riding a dragon, slaying Nazis, and have a palace of big breasted women to shine my sword, will I be insane or a hero for killing those Nazis and taming a Dragon?

I presume their will be interpreters to judge what is fantasy from preconcieved malevolent actions. Just wait until this tech is portable and can be on a tablet or phone. We just tap into brainwaves anywhere. It would make talking to random people easier. And, knowing which people are fake as f%%k. "OMG your hair looks so great!" brainwaves say "OMG I want to bury your head into the arse of a rhino." OH thanks mom your so nice. Your welcome sweety, brainwaves say "You were the biggest mistake of my life, please never come back home." Oh mom your soo nice.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: iDope

What about when we dream. If I dream of riding a dragon, slaying Nazis, and have a palace of big breasted women to shine my sword, will I be insane or a hero for killing those Nazis and taming a Dragon?

I presume their will be interpreters to judge what is fantasy from preconcieved malevolent actions. Just wait until this tech is portable and can be on a tablet or phone. We just tap into brainwaves anywhere. It would make talking to random people easier. And, knowing which people are fake as f%%k. "OMG your hair looks so great!" brainwaves say "OMG I want to bury your head into the arse of a rhino." OH thanks mom your so nice. Your welcome sweety, brainwaves say "You were the biggest mistake of my life, please never come back home." Oh mom your soo nice.

Imagine this; drones equipped with thought reading machines policing the streets looking for 'Terrorists' One such drone finds a person wandering with a loaded gun, maybe an angry man who has been cheated on then dumped by his ex girlfried. He is thinking of pulling that gun out and killing her.

He could see reason in the last moment before he commits murder and decide to let it go. He might not and he might go ahead and shoot her.

At what point does the drone intervene? If it waits for him to fire it will be too late. If it acts before he pulls the trigger it has not given him the chance to change his mind.

Are we going to trust a machine to make 100% correct interpretations of intentions 100% of the time?

Every single one of us has dark thoughts they wish to keep hidden. Why would we want these accessible?

For example, in my own mind I curse my partner 1,000 times a day. I don't need these thoughts to be shared, it would be destructive to that person's well being. Sometimes 'grinning and bearing it' works out for the better. That option would be dissipated if my thoughts were able to be read and shared.
edit on 15-3-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Imagine this; drones equipped with thought reading machines policing the streets looking for 'Terrorists' One such drone finds a person wandering with a loaded gun, maybe an angry man who has been cheated on then dumped by his ex girlfried. He is thinking of pulling that gun out and killing her.

He could see reason in the last moment before he commits murder and decide to let it go. He might not and he might go ahead and shoot her.

At what point does the drone intervene? If it waits for him to fire it will be too late. If it acts before he pulls the trigger it has not given him the chance to change his mind.

Are we going to trust a machine to make 100% correct interpretations of intentions 100% of the time?

Every single one of us has dark thoughts they wish to keep hidden. Why would we want these accessible?

For example, in my own mind I curse my partner 1,000 times a day. I don't need these thoughts to be shared, it would be destructive to that person's well being. Sometimes 'grinning and bearing it' works out for the better. That option would be dissipated if my thoughts were able to be read and shared.

I would hope, with all trust and belief in humanity that beyond a doubt we do not trust a machine %100 of the time to make decisions like this. We don't even trust people near that much to make a decision. The machine would have to be proven without a doubt over many tests and studys to make minimal errors. Much like the Minority Report, they couldn't shoot the perp, they would arrest them, then from there go throught the data to make sure that the perp was actually going to commit a crime.

I also see little reason if this machine can read and translate brainwaves, why the machine or a similar one couldn't create those frequencies and direct them into your head, in order to make you feel or think something certain. It could be a benefit if it was used in to tell the man do not shoot, killing is never just, you can find another woman who loves you and then that is that, no arrest, just stopping a crime, and not punishing for an act that never happened. I guess that is the most positive I could see it being used.

I guarentee there would be certain approved individuals that would be allowed to wear a device that was able black the machine from targeting their thoughts.

Any person with severe mental disorders would be at a huge risk as well. Their thoughts arent comprehendable to many.

Think about if the public were able to put it on drones as well and use it for good?

LOL Your upstairs and your partner is down, they text you that you need to hurry up and get dreessed or something. You think "STFU nag nag nag" as you read it, they text back, "This text is only to show that I will not shut up just cause you told me to" DAMNIT brainwaves! As you leave you look at your dog and he is thinking "Just leave already my street bitch is about to be here" You shake your head and realize the world is ending and everyone is seeing it to.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SoEpic
All politicians should be forced to have this used on them. We may get some truth from them then!

Politicians and truth. LOL. The only truth you get from their head is that Rep. and Dem. are the same, they all think about the same thing always, MONEY. POWER. DECEPTION.

By this time all pooliticians will be A.I. at least, an avatar of some politician sitting in Bermuda with all his other cronies in front of a D.C. screen for when the skyping with the world. They will control their bots to carry out their work. Oops, I can;t put politician and doing work together either.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

Thanks for bringing these articles and this discussion to light - it's an important topic and needs to be discussed.

My first thought when reading the title:

"Well hell yes, I have a million and one ways this could be abused for unsavory practices...."

Those initial thoughts quelled a bit while reading your OP and are now more along the line of tempered and managed positive applications....it would certainly be a breakthrough for the cases you described, as well as a way for patients in deep comas to communicate with their loved ones.

So now I'm stuck with a bit of the moral conundrum. Do I really want to post a variety of various sociopathic uses for what could very well be a godsend to immeasurable amounts of people? Do I wish to fuel paranoia and possibly stifle tech that could enrich a mind locked away from communication with the outside world...or do I indulge the maniacal ego within and pray whomever reads this has only the purest intentions and will never put those theoretical sinister agendas into operation?

I'm gonna go with personal ethics on this one and say no to the last option.

I won't even touch on subversive uses.
Nope. Not even one.

All joking aside, it's an extremely touchy subject on many levels.

Still, I might have second thoughts after some sleep, so please forgive me if I do an about face later on in thread.

edit on 3/15/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting/clarity - perfection is a burden of crisis

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Thank you all for your replies. I was very curious to know what your impressions would be. This issue has so many positives for medical/health issues, but it certainly has the potential to impeach on privacy and penetrate human rights on so many levels. In the wrong hands, this technology could be disastrous.

I think my main personal concern is that raised by Markosity: People think all sorts of things, sometimes quite disturbing or upsetting things, but it does not mean there is an actual intention to act upon that thought. There exists a very definite line between thought and action, and unless the technology addresses that issue, then humanity could be in for a very bumpy ride.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
True 'mind reading' technology may be available sometime in the future, but this isn't it. In order for this to work at all, the individual whose mind is to be 'read' has to be hooked up to a machine so they can monitor what parts of their brain are active in response to certain stimuli, and get a baseline. Since everyone's brain operates differently, there is no possible way for them to be able to 'read' anything, without having that baseline for that specific individual. Even when they do have it, they still can't 'read' anything outside of the parameters used to get that initial baseline.

Nothing to be afraid of here...

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AlmostRosey

This work in California reminds me of the original work done in proving the abilities of Remote Viewing (even if not the exact process of how it happens) in the mid 1970s. Additionally, I suspect that the OP and the posters so far are fairly comfortable with being classified as having "consensus reality" views about our typically human condition. But if anyone were to leap to accept or even seriously consider some of the UFO abductee data, they would see the desired end end of these experiments and studies are known. Mind reading is only the tip of the problem we face.

Psi studies constantly indicate that mind-reading powers are possible in some human minds to some extent. Rarely discussed are details of ET abductions where explicit, direct mind-to-mind control has been exhibited. That is the horror that is being sought. Mind control is the ultimate violation of the conscious mind.

I'm not saying that contact with ETs will subject us each and every one across our planet to be subjected to their whims (or not) of mass mind control. I suspect they have better things to do with their time. But we do know that in close contact with individual cases, a human can be rendered powerless to his/her own will and induced to follow the dictates of another, over-riding mind.

For over a hundred years the phenomena of hypnosis has been treated as a funny quirk in the human mind that, strangely, can be invoked by the mind of another human. Given that we in the modern world all feel that we are individually something special and unique, we laugh at the displays of stage hypnosis that we see, but don't--simply cannot--take that process as a serious aspect of our minds. It cannot be a common fault that we all possess, can it? Otherwise, we are not even who we think we are. The argument eventually gets down to pure philosophical arguments of the simple fact of free will or not. And as any report of an in-depth ET abduction will show, we are really are not the towers of independent intelligence and actions that we imagine.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
True 'mind reading' technology may be available sometime in the future, but this isn't it. In order for this to work at all, the individual whose mind is to be 'read' has to be hooked up to a machine so they can monitor what parts of their brain are active in response to certain stimuli, and get a baseline. Since everyone's brain operates differently, there is no possible way for them to be able to 'read' anything, without having that baseline for that specific individual. Even when they do have it, they still can't 'read' anything outside of the parameters used to get that initial baseline.

Nothing to be afraid of here...

I actually hope you're correct. If what you've said is really the case, then the danger element is thankfully missing, and this type of technology really can only be used on those who are medically monitored on the machines in order to communicate.

Aliensun - I don't really know much about remote viewing and UFO abduction cases to be honest with you, but I will say that your comment; "Mind control is the ultimate violation of the conscious mind," is one I wholeheartedly agree with.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I also see little reason if this machine can read and translate brainwaves, why the machine or a similar one couldn't create those frequencies and direct them into your head, in order to make you feel or think something certain. It could be a benefit if it was used in to tell the man do not shoot, killing is never just, you can find another woman who loves you and then that is that, no arrest, just stopping a crime, and not punishing for an act that never happened. I guess that is the most positive I could see it being used.

If a machine could be used to alter our thoughts, then we have just lost our humanity and individuality. Imagine a machine that could broadcast desire to buy over TV. On comes an add for a soft drink (soda) and suddenly you feel this terrible thirst and craving for refreshing glass of Mom's fizzy lemonade.

What happens to free will then?

I guarentee there would be certain approved individuals that would be allowed to wear a device that was able black the machine from targeting their thoughts.

And how do you make such a guarantee when the technology has not been released yet? We've signed away many freedoms in the name of 'protection' since 9/11. Why the very mode we are communicating - the internet has massive filters on it looking for keywords that may indicate something is afoot as we all type away chattering to one another over the digital highways of the globe.

Any person with severe mental disorders would be at a huge risk as well. Their thoughts arent comprehendable to many.

No, they are not. Their brains are 'short circuiting' in a way. How would a thought machine help this person? It would probably help manifest a mentally ill person's illness and make it ten times worse.

Think about if the public were able to put it on drones as well and use it for good?

By good I presume you mean crime and terror prevention. Why should I, one of the law abiding majority have to lose my innermost privacy in order to keep the peace. If we need thought police drones that badly, I say that the world has gone to all hell in a handbag already and there is little point.

LOL Your upstairs and your partner is down, they text you that you need to hurry up and get dreessed or something. You think "STFU nag nag nag" as you read it, they text back, "This text is only to show that I will not shut up just cause you told me to" DAMNIT brainwaves! As you leave you look at your dog and he is thinking "Just leave already my street bitch is about to be here" You shake your head and realize the world is ending and everyone is seeing it to.

Many people are highly sensitive. Wars have been started over less than what you have suggested above. Some secrets are meant to remain secret. Our wayward thoughts are one such example. It's part of the human experience having to learn to interpret beyond what a person says to you in a literal sense. It's called intuition and perception Why should we be so lazy as to take that away?

Imagine meeting the girl / boy of your supposed dreams, but you can access their thoughts and you discover via this thought machine they are tossing up between yourself and a potential lover. What do you do then? Once again, the surprise element is much more fun. If you are truly madly deeply in love with this person, you'll do everything in your power to woo them. If you find out artificially they are not convinced and in fact thinking about their options, you might get mad, or you might give up and miss out on the love of your life.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Years ago I landed on some forums dealing with mind control fantasies while studying the MK phenomenon.

Now granted, most of what I read could be chalked up to nothing more than casual talk - but the common denominator was abject domination of an unwilling participant. Basic level power trips without any trace of personal responsibility or accountability.

They traded tips and tricks on how to subversively manipulate naive men or women, mostly through Neuro-Linguistic Programming techniques or by way of standard dog-eared 1970's pulp paperback methods. They loved the idea of technology that they could just keep in their pocket and zap whomever they wanted whenever they wanted.

There are enough case examples who would jump at the chance for micromanaged MK tech. Want to hold up the local liquor store? Don't need a gun anymore - just zap 'em. Want to bed the girls who keeps turning you down? Zap 'em! Want to get away with murder on the cheap and easy? Just zap 'em. The list is endless in that part of the underground walk of life.

Now I know the likelihood of the average guy or gal on the street with an MK fantasy getting ahold of medical grade tech is exceedingly unlikely.

Micromanaging this kind of thing once it hits pure grade hypnosis levels are also, exceedingly unlikely.

A lot of my caution stems from having been under the 'care' of some people who have absolutely no business whatsoever working in either the medical or mental health professions. It's rare, but psychopaths have been known to go to schools and patiently pass nursing exams just to play the part for any opportunity to abuse the sick or mentally unstable.

So I'm cautious. Exceedingly cautious.

Don't even get me started on what marketers would do. It's all fun to laugh at the scenario when it's presented in a lighthearted format, but it's also enraging beyond words when you can't fall asleep because unwanted images keep flashing one after the other in your mental field of vision.

It's also impossible to hold a job when your thoughts keep being switched on and off because your manager wants to "maximize efficiency" by having their employees multitask multiple positions simultaneously because keeping a skeleton crew saves the corporation a lot of money. Even worse when you get 'zapped" by a random customer while ringing up a purchase only to discover later on that your cash drawer is short ten dollars and you have to pay out of pocket to cover the difference.

Another worse case scenario would be folks who get targeted by gang-stalkers and casual observers with micromanaged tech and power trips. Imagine trying to walk to the store to buy a gallon of milk and having your brainwaves interrupted every couple of seconds by passers by playing with their little toys. Oh sure, some of it might be harmless enough, but what happens with the really sick and twisted decide you're next up on the murder menu for that evening?

Most of these ideas are, of course, far end spectrum and worse case scenarios.

The reality of the technology presented here in thread is much more benign. No one can covertly wield a concealed machine of that size.

But it wouldn't surprise me one iota if a special facility was constructed to hold a much larger, more fine tuned and far reaching broadcasting relay that could potentially influence a large demographic with a broad common denominator frequency. One wouldn't have to worry about the "subtle differences of the human brain" if the broadcast was only targeted to the primitive regions of the ancient mind.

Basic biological drives could be potentially tapped to ensure everything from synchronized eating, sleeping and pooping to more diverse areas like reproduction, consumerism, so on an so forth. At those primitive and instinctual levels the subtleties of the individual brain would not matter, the individual thoughtscape would be completely irrelevant.

As it stands, I prefer the techniques and methods they already have in place within the infrastructure. Not all of them are completely worry free and untouchable from would-be-mind rapists, but for the most part, the system runs smoothly enough.

I worry mostly about the vetting process for those manning the controls for the next stage of the Great American Experiment...especially after the rise of some of the television programming of the past twenty years.

The rise in casual and professional sociopathy is at an all-time high out there in the real world and this does not bode well for a lot of people who are just trying to go to work, get 'er done and go home without being pulled into someone else's MK fantasy.

Extreme examples, but...so it goes and there it is.

edit on 3/15/15 by GENERAL EYES because: minor edits - perfection is a harsh mistress

new topics

top topics

join