It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand here I come!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I'm going on my first overseas trip!! Destination -> Bangkok!!

I already got some good brochures on tours in Bangkok. I'm leaving in 2 weeks!!!

I already has my mind set on one tour, Elephant-back riding!! I'm still on the fence on the Floating Market, but is would be real cool to see.

I think I will pass on the Temple tours. Looking from my own perspective, I would not like it if someone of a different religion came tramping into my place of worship. I would respect their religion and Temple by not entering it.

Anyway, has any of you been to Bangkok before? Any suggestions on some good places to see or things to see?

As someone being in the architectural field, is there maybe any interesting buildings, (excluding Temples) that would make a good experience and subject of an awesome photo-shoot?

O, and I promise to bring back good photos!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I've never been, but i heard it's pretty much essential to go and watch some Muay Thai fights at the Lumpinee or Rajadamnern stadiums.

edit on 11-3-2015 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

Dude! Awesome!! Have a safe and enjoyable trip! I don't have any advice at all to share other than don't take any wooden nickles! LOL!! Have an awesome time!!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Hey Independent!!

I've never been there, but am oh-so jealous!!
No advice, except making sure you have health care coverage, etc. (which I'm sure you have).

I watch a lot of documentaries and would love to be taking off on a trip like that. Looking forward to your pics, and keep us updated if you can log in over there!

Safe trip!
jacygirl

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Lol.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

I got some travel ensurane anf health care coverage today! But thanx anyway. If I didn't, you would have have saved the day! Lol.

If I can, I'll keep you updated!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The first thing I think when anyone tells me they are going to Thailand is "You dirty dirty pervert" hahaha.
Im sure in most cases that says more about me than the person whos making the trip

I would actually make the effort to see the big golden Buddha, locals are not so strongly religious they would see any insult in you visiting if its done out of curiousity and not to mock or deface it in some way.
Also check out the palace if you can.

I do think you need to check out Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza if for no other reason than its not something you will ever see in a western country with the possible exception of Amsterdam.
Just avoid the so called Ping Pong shows, In Bangkok they are basically a tourist shakedown, you wont see a show and end up leaving significantly poorer and if you object to the premise also a bit roughed up by rather unforgiving Thai Bouncers with a grudge against us Farang (Thai word for whiteys).

Alsobe careful of girls who wanna sit with you for 2 reasons
1) if they ask "can I join you for a drink?" what they actually mean is "can you buy me a ridiculously overpriced coke that I will drink really fast and then ask if you mind if I have another and if my friends can join us so you can unknowingly also buy them drinks?". Im speaking from experience here, 45 min in a girlie bar with 3 lovely Thai ladies discussing the best islands to visit cost me $80. But thats still better than option 2
2) Its a DUDE!!!!! to be fair an unbelievably hot dude but still a dude.

If you have time come see Laos, basically the same as Thailand just 30 years behind and no sex tourism

I look forward to hearing about your adventures

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Thanks for the tips! Luckely I dont drink, at all, so I will not be spending time in any bar, but thanks for the heads up.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Been there.

Visit the markets, eat the street food and DO NOT miss the full moon parties...every full moon.

BTW, Avoid the bar scene. Too many ass-hat foreigners and con artists.

Have fun!

Jude11

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Don't be worried about visiting the temples. They Are set up to handle tourists and your presence won't be offensive. They are the architecture of Thailand and you'll regret it if you don't. Ensure your valuables can't be touched ... pickpockets abound.

Hire a guide with a van when you go on an excursion. Surprisingly affordable and your guide is the key to a wealth of information you will otherwise miss.

Be humble. Most of the people you will encounter cannot comprehend the wealth you're committing to this trip.

I hope you've picked out a nice hotel that has great restaurants. You'll appreciate that after a long day.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Went to Thailand in '03, mostly islsnd hopping for a month.
Only passed through Bangkok - would love to have spent time there but we didn't, the islands were amazing.
Make sure you see some temples, it's really worth it.
The Kickboxing is ok but they have kids fighting too and I didn't like that, we didn't stay too long.

Thailand is the most beautiful place I've been.
The people are amazing and the scenery and wildlife is amazing.
The elephants are treated badly so please make sure you go to a sanctuary or something - don't just go on a tour and 'use' the elephant - well it's up to you I guess.

Have fun - it will change you, it's a beautiful country.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Kick boxing, temples, grand palace, street food, get taxis not tuk tuks, even better get motor bike taxis, go out down koh San and Sukhumvit, hang in the parks, bribe the police, get the runs...

All standard issue on every trip to Bangkok.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Have a wonderful and safe trip. I look forward to the pics that you will share.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Trust me, I've spent a lot of time in Thailand and you will hate it. The food is horrible, the place has no night life, it's boring, the beaches suck and the women are ugly and fat and everything is expensive.

[wink]

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
GO to see the reclining buddha, they are happy for you to go there, the temples are lovely, don't think like your religion, they are welcoming and you will find it a fascinating history tour. Thailand is wonderful, I use to go every year two.

Bangkok is a party and a shopaholics dream, if you want to relax go to the beaches. You will love the Andaman sea. Have you a chance to go beaching? Id fly south, the beaches drive from Bangers are full of nasty types.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
GO to see the reclining buddha, they are happy for you to go there, the temples are lovely, don't think like your religion, they are welcoming and you will find it a fascinating history tour. Thailand is wonderful, I use to go every year two.

Bangkok is a party and a shopaholics dream, if you want to relax go to the beaches. You will love the Andaman sea. Have you a chance to go beaching? Id fly south, the beaches drive from Bangers are full of nasty types.

Nailed it.

The Reclining Buddha is in Wat Pho (that's why we hired a guide w/van). Unforgettable experience there. They have signs up warning of the pick-pockets. Otherwise, no worries.

I can't remember any one event that cost more than $50. Most cost less than $5. As memory serves, the most expensive thing was eating at the restaurant where we stayed, but the food was worth it and there were no 'ill' effects -chuckle-.

Anticipate good times ... have a great trip.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Dear IndependentOpinion

Mostly good advise so far, I lived in Thailand for twenty years.

There is no problem visiting Temples, they are known as a Wat.

Even if you don’t drink you just have to visit a bar Nana Plaza or Soi Cow Boy. It is a long time since I have been there but there was never any hassle. However do not go up stares in the likes of Pat Pong they are just waiting to rip off tourists. Just about anything at street level is well safe. As they say watch out for pick pocket just about anywhere. The only problem with this bit of advise is that you may not want to return home. So be prepared for that. The shows are something you will never forget, love em, or hate em,. So long as it is on the street level. Girl drinks you don’t have to buy them. Fun if you do though.

One other at least, do not be tempted by people you meet in the street who offer to show you a Bar, Jewelry store, or just about any other attraction. Be sure it will be a rip off, Just say respectfully (Mai Ou Cap) tit means - I no want. Anything else you want to know just get back to me.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

oh sorry I forgot do not bother trying to tell people about your trip when you return, they will never believe it anyway.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Have a great time. I remember going when I was a youngster just 14 years old and having girls( I think they were girls) just coming up to me and grabbing my privates. It was a bit weird as I was with my parents at the time and wasn't used to such forward approaches. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wow! A lot of great advise! Sorry for not replying to each and every one separately, because that would be a lot of replies!

I will keep all you have said in mind then I'm over there. Its good to see that people are still real nice and willing to help wherever they can! Thank you all!

for all of you!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join