It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Person Who Likes Mauling a Bass Guitar Asks A Question...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Greetings everyone!

I am writing this thread to prevail upon the advice, of any member here who knows a thing or two about bass guitar, with particular focus to accessories. More specifically, I am writing this thread to say that my last jack lead has given up the ghost, and I am wondering if any bass players or guitarists here, have any ideas as to what brands are available and which are of the highest quality, endurance wise.

I am sick to death of plugging in my bass, going to strike the strings, and getting nothing, or getting patchy response from my leads. I have no idea what brands are out there, and even if I did, I have no idea what specifications work best for bass, if there is any difference between one lead and another, or anything like that. Suffice to say, I am FAR from a professional musician. I just like to make my noises, as I please, and smile when some of them come together. However, I am getting frustrated by coming home, plugging in, and getting silence. Does anyone have any advice for me where this is concerned?

I would really appreciate any feedback which is forthcoming!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Are you buying fixed connection leads or screw types that can be re soldiered?

Do you jump about like a maniac and are busting them up? if so loop it around your strap.

Check it's not an internal wiring problem on your bass?

Look at a wireless system maybe? I saw a band in the pub a little while ago and everyone was wireless apart from the drummer. At one point they were on the opposite side of the road playing mettalica!

I love playing bass but at 5'10 I need a short scale and there pretty hard to come by.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

All leads break eventually. As far as the guts, all you can do is take it all apart, resolder all the connections. Get a can of air spray (not hair spray) and blow out all the pots. If you want to get real busy, replace all the wires with slightly higher gauge, like go from a #18 to a #16 or #14. The lower the wire number the lower the resistance, but 3ooo will not fit LOL. Pickups, if you don't want them to move too much, use little rubber grommets under the adjustment screws. Set up the action on the guitar properly and the intonation (12th fret up/down adjust the bridge accordingly). Make sure your female cable jack is tight and doesn't move, movement breaks wires! If you feel adventurous, get a pair of EMG active pickups, they are just the bomb in a bass, worked pretty nice in a PRS as well, actually damn near guitar.

I am in the process of rebuilding my 1959 Gibson es-335 (black beauty), so I've been doing all of that lately.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm also an amateur guitar player, i can play bass but don't have one. just curious, do you have an overdrive pedal? i looove me some bass overdrive!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Sound advice, also a quick blast of wd40 on the pots and a few mins gentle turning should clear up any crackles.

Maybe not on a 59 Gibson but I'm guessing Truebrit has something a bit more beat up!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Do you jump about like a maniac and are busting them up? if so loop it around your strap.

Look at a wireless system maybe? I saw a band in the pub a little while ago and everyone was wireless apart from the drummer. At one point they were on the opposite side of the road playing mettalica!

I love playing bass but at 5'10 I need a short scale and there pretty hard to come by.

There are a ton of short scale basses out there. Here is one Ebay Link. Buddy of mine just got a brand new one, a Fender, from an online store out of Alberta Canada. I think it cost him all of $200 delivered to his door in Ontario Canada.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
I'm also an amateur guitar player, i can play bass but don't have one. just curious, do you have an overdrive pedal? i looove me some bass overdrive!

Artec makes a nice little body mounted Overdrive that's built right into the guitar. You pull the switch and you scream bloody hell, to taste of course. I think they are around $20 if I remember right. You can get them on ebay as well or just look up their site on google, they have a pretty good range of body mounted effects. Apart from the 59, I am in the middle of a MIDI project on a synth guitar, so I used an Yamaha XG synth board, it has 51 different effects on-the-guitar, plus 1500 different voices. Weirdness huh ;-)

I have been mulling over going with a Kickstarter deal because it is a lot of work, 6 ARM processors and an A9 Cortex main processor/control surface before it even hits the synth board.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/10.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

thats sweeeet! looks like i'm gonna have to save up for another instrument hehe

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I really like my wireless unit. I can cut up on stage, mingle with the crowd, flirt with the ladies, all the while keeping the groove on my headless graphite Steinbergerr. I know....but I don't care; I'm old and my back hurts!!!

And even with my rockabilly rig [stand up] I can twirl it around and add a little stage presence. Sometimes it's nice to just plug into the PA board and not lug around my 400w tube monster Ashdown and cab.
edit on 10-3-2015 by olaru12 because: #^%ehjrj56^

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Marshall leads come with a lifetime guarantee, but if you do a bit of showboating, they soon break. Sure, you can exchange them for a new set, but it's a knacker ache having to keep going back to the shop if you live a distance away from a supplier.

Look in the Bass Chat forum, there is probably a question already posted that will answer your question perfectly.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

Some company have started manufacturing violin type Basses again and they're short scale. Probably pick one up for £299.00, a nice little practice amp for around £80.00 and you're away doing impressions of Sir Paul McCartney in your own front room.
edit on 10/3/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/3/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I have had problems with internal wires and jacks. I can isolated the problem and usually fix it with the soldering gun. I have to get the old 5 string out soon and slap her around some.

Cheers.
edit on 10-3-2015 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I'm not a fan of violin bass's although I am a fan of Macca.

I intend to buy a short scale neck and all the hardware and make a les paul Jr body in the workshop.

I just need to find the time and the right lump of wood

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have found that if I needed to redo my jack , don't by a new one from a music shop, get one from say mouser electronics, when bying components I noticed a lot of times they tend to jack the price up to much and make place like radio shack / the one I mentioned a peak. Musicians Friend used to have a bunch of bits and bobs for replacing the guts but noticed the catalogs don't carry them anymore and pickups jumped up to a heck of a lot.

American Music something catalog ( more cost then Musicians Friend )

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Greetings TrueBrit.

Did not know you were a bass player. Very cool. I don't know exactly what jack my bass has MTD635 but it's lasted and worked flawlessly since 2000. And I've been pretty rough on the bass. My electronics are all Bartolini. I think the jack is too. If you can afford the Bartolini jack do it. It will work flawlessly even with abuse.

Will double check my bass when I get home from work and let you know what type of jack it uses.

Out of curiosity and brotherhood what kinda axe you got, and what do you like to play?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Hell yeah on the EMG advice they are punchy as hell.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I'm 5'4" and I play a 35 inch scale. Short scales are cool but sometimes the fundamental rolls off on the low end.

If you want a really nice short scale I think Pedulla makes them for the Penta and the Thunderbass. Used to have a thunder bass. Got stolen at a sound check at the coconut teaser back in 1999. Left it unattended in my unlocked car for two minutes in their parking lot. Good thing it was insured. Was a sweet neck through 6 string.

edit on 10-3-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

400 watt tube amp now were talking. That's power right there. what kinda cabinet you running it to?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: olaru12

400 watt tube amp now were talking. That's power right there. what kinda cabinet you running it to?

You want to have major FUN with a bass. Try a Fostex 2300 (1350wrms) with a pair of EV Earthquakes with the 30" speakers LOL. You can move mountains and start tsunamis. Set it up right and mount the speakers on the back of a car and you could probably drive it uphill. Talk about drop dead heart-attack beats ;-)

PS. I sold them about 6 months ago to a guy north of Toronto, every time I feel a shudder in the earth, I figure he has it turned up with the speakers facing down LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Hey my names Dave too!!!! Awesome. I'm an Eden guy. Simple 600 watt solid state with two 4 tens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join