It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Person Who Likes Mauling a Bass Guitar Asks A Question...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Glad some brought up Manring!!! That guys alt tuning is awesome. One of those guys that really expands what bass players are capable of. Studied with Jaco for a while I think.

Speaking of jaco, someone here said they have a fretless fender. Pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Well, it involves the index finger of my left hand, and my right index and middle fingers. I have no idea how that qualifies in terms of the terminology.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Glad some brought up Manring!!! That guys alt tuning is awesome. One of those guys that really expands what bass players are capable of. Studied with Jaco for a while I think.

Speaking of jaco, someone here said they have a fretless fender. Pretty cool.

For small venues where the standup is just too much, I use an acoustic/electric fretless Chinese Dean. Very affordable and sounds sweet.
I would like to encourage all bottom feeders to give fretless a go. It's really not that much different than a fretted bass but the subtlety and nuances add a whole new dimension to basically a rhythm instrument. Even a basic 2 5 1 progression can take you to dreamland with a vibrato you just can't get with a fretted bass.
edit on 10-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I don't know if this will help or not. I hope so. I saw a thread and immediately thought of this one. It's about bass players and what they use. I don't know if you saw it or not. I didn't see a comment on it from you so I'm posting it here for you. I thought you might be able to pick something up. Good luck.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 10-3-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

nonspecific
Check it's not an internal wiring problem on your bass?

My first thought as well. Also, check the contacts,etc., on your amplifier jacks. Some amps (e.g. the Marshall Valvestate series of guitar amps) have FET-based relays integrated with the jack that stop working properly after a while due to corrosion, dust and suchlike, and need to be cleaned out.

As for cables, buy Dunlop Planet Waves. They last for years.

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I will definitely look into that brand you mentioned cables wise, since, as previously mentioned, I am pretty sure that the rest of my equipment is working correctly! Thanks for the tip!

posted on Mar, 11 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Two things to say:

First, thanks for dropping into my thread argentus! Your commiserations with regard to my enforced silence are appreciated! Good to see you! Second order of business... My God... That fellow in the video is funkier than a disco ball made of black holes!

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Not sure how I managed to miss this before but damn!!! I'm not usually the jealous type but the hand built Tobias is a sweet sweet instrument! I've played a couple of them at the music store near me as his workshop is only a couple of hours away and the owners have a pretty friendly relationship with him. Its one of the few that I would give up my Musicman for. You've got one of the finest instruments on the p,a et there without a doubt!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join