It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supermoon total eclipse of equinox sun on March 20

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It looks like 2015 will be a great year for supermoons. For all you skywatchers, March 20th is coming up quickly. No conspiracy here but tossing this out there for interested parties whoooo probably already knew but here it is.

Supermoon total eclipse of equinox sun on March 20

Eclipse photo at top via NASA

On March 20 – same date as the 2015 March equinox – the moon turns new only 14 hours after reaching lunar perigee – moon’s closest point to Earth in its orbit. Thus this moon is a supermoon – at the new phase – not visible in our sky, but having a larger-than-average effect on Earth’s oceans. Plus this new supermoon swings right in front of the equinox sun on March 20, so that the moon’s shadow falls on parts of Earth. Follow the links below to learn more.

*snip*
The path of totality starts at sunrise to the south of Greenland, circles to the east of Greenland and Iceland at midday, and ends to the north of Greenland at sunset. The best spots to watch this total solar eclipse from land are the Faroe Islands and the Svalbard archipelago, which reside right on the semi-circle path of totality.
earthsky.org...

According to Nolle’s definition, the year 2015 gives us a total of six supermoons: the new moons of January, February and March, and the full moons of July, August and September.
earthsky.org...

Not everyone is excited about this:

Scientists are warning that the upcoming supermoon solar eclipse could bring on an energy blackout. The UK will be hit heard by the phenomenon, with Scotland expected to lose 98% of its sunlight on March 20. The blackout will begin in the UK at 8.45am and the maximum eclipse, when the moon is nearest the middle of the sun, will be at 9.31am. But if the solar eclipse was not enough for you, the evening before the phenomenon will mark the Earth and Moon being as close together as they possibly can be, giving rise to a so-called Supermoon.
www.irishmirror.ie...

edit on 10-3-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I don't really understand the power shortage they are fear mongering about, 98 percent loss of sunlight?

I have spent a good deal of time in Scotland and can say that with a few execptions when you get really far north that Scotland looses 100 percent of it's sunlight every single night for several hours and have plenty of power.

They do not even have much sunlight in the daytime anyway.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

98% of our sunlight at 9.30 in the morning? It probably won't make that much difference, March can be quite gloomy.

Thanks for posting, good to know.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: beansidhe

98% of our sunlight at 9.30 in the morning? It probably won't make that much difference, March can be quite gloomy.

Thanks for posting, good to know.

Speaking of summer in Scotland can you confirm when it is mate, some people say its going to be on the Tuesday and others the Wednesday?

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

That's my birthday!

Woooohooooo!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

NO! It's MY birthday, dammit!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
But, but, CERN

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

It's due for about three quarters of an hour on the tuesday, definitely past by wednesday.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Solar Eclipses are awesome!! Last time I stared right into one, I was transported, through My mind's eye, to Saturn! There are thousands of Dragons there!! Ok, I lied. That did not really happen! LMAO!!! Also I know that no one should EVER stare directly at an Eclipse of the Sun. Very bad for your eyes. Cool Thread! Neato Stuff!!! Thanx! Later, Syx.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

(Making mental note!)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I remember the last partial eclipse, even the bird stopped chirping. quite spooky. Got my welders glass ready for this one.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
To those questioning the energy impact, I was too and even with this, I'm still a bit fuzzy.

In a statement, the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity said: "Under a clear morning sky on March 20, 2015, some 35,000 MW of solar energy, which is the equivalent of nearly 80 medium size conventional generation units, will gradually fade from Europe’s electrical system before being gradually re-injected: all in the space of two hours while Europeans and their offices begin a normal working week day."

The blackout will come to an end at 10.41am.

TrueBrit and Ultralight, pre happy b'days to you, may the brews pour and the crowds roar in jubilation of your celebration and have one heck of an eclipse day!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is the third of four lunar eclipses. The remarkable thing about this sequence is that there is no solar eclipse in between. Two were last year April and October or November I don't remember which.
People were claiming it was some portent of calamity but since this is number three of the four and nothing has happened yet I'm thinking it's just a celestial event. They call these blood moons because the shadow of the earth blocking the sun makes the moon appear a rusty color.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
But...since this is the equinox , a full moon and a lunar eclipse I will plan some ritual and spell. I'm a witch. That's a powerful set up psychologically.
edit on 3102015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
An eclipse on the equinox over the north pole?

I wonder how often that happens.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

You can view a lunar eclipse with your naked eyes. Only a solar eclipse requires you to protect your eyes. So ditch the glasses and enjoy.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Thanks StoutBroux! It is my intention to INSIST that the booze flows and that much merriment is made amongst all my people! It will be my thirtieth, so it should be wilder than a honey badger in a moshpit!

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Headshot
But, but, CERN
what about CERN?
edit on 3102015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Oops my bad. The lunar eclipse is in April.

www.timeanddate.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
No conspiracy here but tossing this t there for interested parties whoooo probably already knew but here it is.

Whadda you mean, no conspiracy!? Isn't it obvious that the moon is conspiring against us?

Incidentally, March 20 is Muppet Day.

👣

edit on 743Tuesday000000America/ChicagoMar000000TuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join