It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Imitation Game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well, just tonight I had the pleasure of watching this film of the same name as my thread title and while I am a huge history buff, especially when it pertains to world war 2 I never truly realized how much the decryption of enigma machine meant to the allies.

Now, before anyone tries to bombard me about inaccuracies about the movies technicalities I can assure you that I am already aware of the logistics and timeline of the actual events and they most certainly do not go hand in hand with the movies depictions but so is Hollywood, embellishment is king and is not the issue at hand.

I never knew that Alan Turing was gay which is strange because I knew he was a brilliant mathematician since the 8th grade. I guess this is a good thing because I don't personally feel like sexual orientation has any basis on a persons worth nor place in life but.............

When I seen what happened to him in the ending of the movie and then searched it out on google to see if it was accurate I was literally horrified to see that it was true. For a national hero, a man who probably saved millions of human lives and who was a gentle genius to be ostracized, disgraced and basically tortured for his sexual preference made me sick to my stomach in real life . For a brief time after the film I was ashamed to be part of the human race that could do that to another person.

Regardless of my sometimes petty but insistent views on such subjects here on ATS I would like everyone to know that I in no way would EVER judge anyone based on the preference of their sexual orientation. Every person is equal in my mind based on their own merit and I despise to my very core disgusting acts of racial or sexual bias such as I seen in this film and in fact I don't think I ever knew just how much it bothered me until today.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Helious

Well said.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Great post.

It's sad but true that many gay men have been harassed, oppressed, ostracized and met with violence.

It doesn't matter if they were famous scientists and heros.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It's bad enough that 'Imitation Game' slaughtered history and gave credit to Turing for things he never did, but to take a man who was a patriot and turn him into a traitor, to me, is unforgivable.

In the movie he is "outed" by a Russian spy in British Intelligence, but instead of reporting him, he became complicit in the crime by concealing the Russian's activities.

That some people don't think this matters is a sad statement on the movie-going public and the times we live in.

edit on -06:0048153272015-03-05T23:27:48-06:00 by Psynic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I agree great post.
One of the many shames of the olden days.
Chemically castrated or jail.....disgusting.
I would like to say these things are behind us but I know many on ATS view gay folk as abnormal and would love for us all to take a social step backwards and do this type of thing again.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
It's bad enough that 'Imitation Game' slaughtered history and gave credit to Turing for things he never did, but to take a man who was a patriot and turn him into a traitor, to me, is unforgivable.

In the movie he is "outed" by a Russian spy in British Intelligence, but instead of reporting him, he became complicit in the crime by concealing the Russian's activities.

That some people don't think this matters is a sad statement on the movie going public and the times we live in.

The depiction of what Turing actually accomplished was skewed and embellished and in my opinion didn't even need to be done to make the movie interesting but the heart of the thread is what he was subjected to afterword solely because of his sexual orientation.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Helious

That some people don't think this matters is a sad statement on the movie going public and the times we live in.

The depiction of what Turing actually accomplished was skewed and embellished and in my opinion didn't even need to be done to make the movie interesting but the heart of the thread is what he was subjected to afterword solely because of his sexual orientation.

It's amazing to me that something as pivotal to allied victory as the breaking of the Enigma codes gets hijacked to further the agenda of a gay screenwriter.

There was absolutely no need to fabricate a treasonous chapter into Turing's life story and to think that the man's contributions should be overshadowed by his fetishes is really quite sad.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Delete
edit on 5-3-2015 by CharlesT because: off point.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Helious

It's amazing to me that something as pivotal to allied victory as the breaking of the Enigma codes gets hijacked to further the agenda of a gay screenwriter.

There was absolutely no need to fabricate a treasonous chapter into Turing's life story and to think that the man's contributions should be overshadowed by his fetishes is really quite sad.

There is no "gay agenda" in what happened to Turing. He served his country, his countrymen as best he could and used his genius for the good of mankind and what he ultimately got for it was disgrace and forced chemical castration from the same government he fought to uphold based solely on his sexual preference.

You seem to want to marginalize his accomplishments while at the same time downplaying what the government did to him based on his "fetishes".
edit on 5-3-2015 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Removed my comment in respect for the poster I replied to having a change of heart about the subject matter.
edit on 5-3-2015 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

My previous post was not appropriate. Your point is well taken.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   
The horrors that humans are capable of committing in the name of personal beliefs knows no end.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Your reaction sounds like my reaction to 12 Years a Slave. After watching that movie I wanted to go get a rope and hang myself from a tree.

(post by Bone75 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Really? I happen to think quite a few would just by going on conversations I have had tonight.
Violence Hhhhmmmm why you so angry recently?.
No need to get your knickers in a twist and threaten violence.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
[SNIP]

boymonkey74 is absolutely correct, there are many posters on ATS who feel that way.
edit on 6/3/2015 by Gemwolf because: Removed quoted post

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

The truth is that I had a change of heart even before you posted. I just couldn't get it deleted quick enough.
Yes, it is a testament to the degree of man's inhumanity in what happened to a person that should have received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
It is sad that humanity can not extinguish all of the hatred, greed, animosity and bigotry that resides in the human heart but I'm afraid these negative and destructive traits will ever endure. Traits such as these have destroyed millions upon millions of people and I'm afraid they will continue to do so. Maybe even up to the complete annihilation of mankind. The simple truth is, even though humanity does have many redeeming qualities, we are the most ruthless and destructive species on the planet. That's a fact!

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Once upon a time, whether one was homosexual was less important than whether one was treasonous.

Funny how times have changed.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

boymonkey74 is absolutely correct, there are many posters on ATS who feel that way.

Really? Then how about a show of hands.

Who would like to see homosexuals either chemically castrated or go to jail?

Anyone?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join